Mystic Blue SL400 New Car Detail by Divine Detail Surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought that you would've gone for a 355 which is manual, sweeter handling and lighter, rather than another GT.

I wonder how they compare for servicing costs.

I think the 355 is the last of the "engine out" variety for servicing.

Not sure about the 550 level - I would have thought they would be big enough not to need that.

If running costs is a consideration of course...

I had laser eye surgey this week so will be a bit quiet until I can see enough to use a screen again....probably a couple of weeks.

(Helpfully typed by my able assistant).
I was back at work within 48hrs, but then recovery in your late 20s is probably a bit easier. I'm not sure I'd be quite so speedy now!

I was back at work within 48hrs, but then recovery in your late 20s is probably a bit easier. I'm not sure I'd be quite so speedy now!

I'm 52 and had PRK (aka LASEK) which is slightly more involved than what is available when you're in your 20's or 30's (You would have had LASIK - one letter different which is why LASEK is now known as PRK)

However here I am 4 days later able to read a computer screen (with the ability to increase the font) to a least a degree, albeit a bit blurry.

Sight is improving daily. I was minus 6 with quite large astigmatism. SO basically I was Mr Magoo last Tuesday, now I can see to a degree.

Last edited:
Having spoken to some long term owners on Fchat I've been assured there can be big differences between cars, so it makes sense to try some more.

The 599 never did it for me at all. The F12 does though, but that suffers the same problem for me as an FF, I'll either lose my licence or end up backwards in a tree/ditch/brick wall.

I thought that you would've gone for a 355 which is manual, sweeter handling and lighter, rather than another GT.

Interestingly I like GT cars, when it comes to Fcars I'm a front engined V12 guy. The mid engined stuff really has never done a great deal for me. They are awesome track cars, which is something I'm not doing. I'm more into the idea of long trips and that V12 noise.

I wonder how they compare for servicing costs.

I think the 355 is the last of the "engine out" variety for servicing.

Not sure about the 550 level - I would have thought they would be big enough not to need that.

If running costs is a consideration of course...

John's right on this. The 550 was the first generation of F car that was serviceable with everything in situ. The 355 is full engine out every 3 years, whilst to my eye it is one of the prettiest Ferraris, it's mid engined can be ruinously expensive and would struggle to keep up with my SL400 on a spirited drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 52 and had PRK (aka LASEK) which is slightly more involved than what is available when you're in your 20's or 30's (You waould have had LASIK - one letter different which is why LASEK is now known as PRK)

However here I am 4 days later able to read a computer screen (with the ability to increase the font) to a least a degree, albeit a bit blurry.

Sight is improving daily. I was minus 6 with quite large astigmatism. SO basically I was Mr Magoo last Tuesday, now I can see to a degree.
About the same then, completely blind without glasses or lenses (-5.5/5.75 at the time). I was 27 when I had mine, it's stood up pretty well over the last 15 years but I've noticed that very close up detail is starting to go in the last year.

All those adverts where people are leaving the surgery all bright and perky are utter bollocks. You're tired, you feel battered and every ounce of willpower is channelled into not rubbing your eyes, which isn't easy as it feels like the entire Sahara is in there.

About the same then, completely blind without glasses or lenses (-5.5/5.75 at the time). I was 27 when I had mine, it's stood up pretty well over the last 15 years but I've noticed that very close up detail is starting to go in the last year.

All those adverts where people are leaving the surgery all bright and perky are utter bollocks. You're tired, you feel battered and every ounce of willpower is channelled into not rubbing your eyes, which isn't easy as it feels like the entire Sahara is in there.
Agreed, I had two full days at a level of discomfort that I've never experienced before. Really unpleasant, there's no other way to put it. Then day 3 it all stopped and sight is improving by the hour. I knew this going into it, but the outcome was worth the 48 hours of unpleasantness.

I have temporary clear contact lenses fitted at the moment (known as bandage lenses) which I go and have removed next Tuesday, then I'm good to go. I just have to wait until sight is good enough to pass the licence plate sight test before I can drive.

If anyone is thinking of getting it done, I went to Moorfields. I would recommend going there. You're in the hands of one of the best eye surgeons in the UK. At some of the commercial places you're never quite sure what you're getting.

Oh I was told right from the outset I'd probably still require reading glasses. I can live with that knowing I can lose glasses for the bulk of life. Going to the gym, gardening, just everything really will become more comfortable.

I remember the long talks we had re the FF. Did you ever drive one ?

I remember it well Sean :)
Yes, was a great car - fantastic colour combination. When I first saw it I loved the contrast of the porcelain leather and the blue paint :cool:

I remember the long talks we had re the FF. Did you ever drive one ?

I did, at Meriden down in Lyndhurst. It was insanely fast. Probably the most complete car I've ever driven.

This one:-

IMG_20161126_145117027.jpg

The noise and excitement started to happen at speeds that were insane. You need to live in Germany or own a runway to experience this car properly. Think of it as a four seater F12. I completely understand why people love them and if I'm honest I still do. It was just too much for me, which is why I decided to look back in time a bit at the cars that were my poster car - the 550/575 Maranellos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom