MyTyres a cautionary tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
So my SL has a bit of an appetite for tyres esp rear ones. After some research and help on this forum decided to get some Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. Now I normally use BlackCircles but they don't do them in my size but MyTyres do. No worries used them before so I pays my money and books my slot for today 8am. Job done! Turns up this morning at Elite Garages and it promptly all goes Pete Tong. Guy starts asking me have I checked they've been delivered then stomps off to see if they've got them. Yes they have but no they don't do timed slots and it's currently an hours wait "we've told them about this before". When I asked if this was the case then why not call me to tell me that. Apparently it's my fault for using MyTyres and "i'm not having you have a go at me for something that's nothing to do with me"! Excellent I thought so told him I was sorry for wasting his time but not to worry as I won't be back. One 1* google review and one cancelled order now and oh sh*t I don't have tyres yet! When I booked I noticed a few bad reviews on Elite but thought it would be ok. There's a lesson here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar with me, but not to your extent amd it was with tyreleader. Ordered michy pilots to a garage. I had the tracking number so was able to see when they arrived. Called the garage and the guy had no idea who they were for and why they had arrived. The guy was sound tho and told me to swing by when i wanted.

Do not see why these tyre places offer to certain garages when there is 0 communication with 0 garage. Will just have them delivered to myself in the future from now on

Agree, the buck passing winds me up. They used a different garage before and they were fine but the guy at Elite Garages was just rude and unhelpful and kept telling me it was my fault. Won't go there again. The garage that Black Circles use are really polite and friendly and take care of the car so may just use them

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I buy my tyres from blackcircles.co.uk and they are fitted by a local ATS Euromaster branch. I find that ATS Euromaster are pretty good both on timing and the professional work.

Always bought the tyres for the CLS55 from ATS. The MO1 Michelins were a good price, invariably some offer or other. They took great care and time with fitting and balancing. Plus cheap warranty and roadside assistance, great when one doesn't have a spare..

Always bought the tyres for the CLS55 from ATS. The MO1 Michelins were a good price, invariably some offer or other. They took great care and time with fitting and balancing. Plus cheap warranty and roadside assistance, great when one doesn't have a spare..

The only very slight annoyance I had with ATS is that they did not inflate the new tyres to the correct pressures as showing on the label on the car. Other than that they would have gotten a perfect score from me.

I usually try my local tyre fitter first as they try to price match the internet sellers.

On the few occasions they haven't, I've used one of the mobile fitters (Event Tyres or Tyres on the Drive) who have taken great care with the car and been better on prices.

My experiences with MyTyres have always been good in terms of rapid delivery , but I have always had the tyres delivered to me and then arranged for fitment at local tyre outlet I have chosen. ATS are consistently good I have found also. I assume that any MyTyres "partner outlet " justs gets a fitment+balancing fee and if their timed slot clashes with a fitment for tyres where the garage derives income from both tyre sale and fitting this would result in a conflict of priorities especially if the fitter was on some sort of profit share bonus scheme??

I use a local garage that happens to be owned by a guy I used to go to school with.

I order the tyres through him and he fits them at my convenience. It might cost me an extra £5 or £10 per tyre, but it's a small price to pay for the service.

He does an outstanding job and really takes care of my car and wheels.

Is it really worth dealing with belligerent people to save £20 to £40?

I usually try my local tyre fitter first as they try to price match the internet sellers.

I use a local garage that happens to be owned by a guy I used to go to school with.

I order the tyres through him and he fits them at my convenience. It might cost me an extra £5 or £10 per tyre, but it's a small price to pay for the service.

Exactly.

And I'm the same, I use the same local tyre place and his prices are always there or thereabouts, his service is excellent, they have all the proper kit and are a professional looking outfit.

Costco are worth a try when they are running one of their promotions.

Have never seen such good attention to detail with regards the quality of service and the fitting.

Prices were keen too and worth remembering if you have an Amex and executive membership you'll get another 3% back on top of the promo :thumb:

Similar with me, but not to your extent amd it was with tyreleader. Ordered michy pilots to a garage. I had the tracking number so was able to see when they arrived. Called the garage and the guy had no idea who they were for and why they had arrived.

I ordered two tyres from Tyreleader as well, quoted up to 8 days delivery to garage after payment and promise of tracking number to follow.

Never received tracking number, after 20 days garage had still not received them and you cannot speak to Tyreleader, only request an emailed ticket response. This is supposed to be answered within two days, but usually took over a week for a reply.

End result was I phoned garage after 28 days who said the tyres had arrived 2 or 3 days ago, no paperwork to show who they were for and had just been sitting there since. I got them fitted next day, no one asked for proof that they were for me either and two days later Tyreleader emailed a tracking number to me that simply said they had been delivered.

Prices on their site may be cheap, but what company fails to provide a phone number for when it all goes wrong unless they don't want to hear from you, never again will I use them.

Russ

I used to be the same, but the truth is the market has moved on considerably over the last few years. Savings are in the order of £££ not £5 or £10 per tyre any more and if you add this up over the years it's a significant amount.

Camskill, mytyres, tyre leader etc. Or if you don't want the hassle stick to Costco and do your shopping whilst they fit - easy :)

I do the same. I know a great guy with a tyre shop. He might be £3 more per corner but, I'd rather give him my money than to Kwik fit etc.

I ordered two tyres from Tyreleader as well, quoted up to 8 days delivery to garage after payment and promise of tracking number to follow.

Never received tracking number, after 20 days garage had still not received them and you cannot speak to Tyreleader, only request an emailed ticket response. This is supposed to be answered within two days, but usually took over a week for a reply.

End result was I phoned garage after 28 days who said the tyres had arrived 2 or 3 days ago, no paperwork to show who they were for and had just been sitting there since. I got them fitted next day, no one asked for proof that they were for me either and two days later Tyreleader emailed a tracking number to me that simply said they had been delivered.

Prices on their site may be cheap, but what company fails to provide a phone number for when it all goes wrong unless they don't want to hear from you, never again will I use them.

Russ

Tyreleader are an utter shambles. In theory I'm still waiting for a refund for a pair of tyres I ordered in sept! Fortunately the cc company refunded me ages ago and , I imagine, have withheld the funds. I'm still getting the occasional email from them saying they haven't quite managed to collect the tyres from the fitters (they kept sending Asymmetric 3 when I had specifically ordered asym 2).
Their CS is a literally non existent. All they have is an online help which states their terms as responding in 24hrs to you. Well they do just but its not usually anything to do with the problem.
Avoid like the plague - looking at reviews if it works happy days if it doesn't my experience is common.

My experience with Black Circles has been good but that's in part due to the good local garage they use. Interestingly they don't come close in price if you try going direct. When I've used MyTyres in the past I've had tyres delivered to me and then paid cash locally to have them fitted. My bad for not doing the same!

Like others, I use my local tyre bloke and have been for over 10 years.

He asks me whatcar, type of driving and mileage and whether I want premium , mid or budget tyres.

Has worked well right up until the latest set on my W211 which are hard and remind me a little of runflats. I'll go back next time around but will grumble a bit about the current et so that he doesn't make the same mistake again.

Sometimes it pays to listen to someone who knows more about the product than you do and not try and be a clever nob.

If you are in Sussex then get Wheelworks in Crawley to do the fitting. They have a tyre shop next door but are quite happy to fit if you supply the tyres. For a fee obviously. They are the only people I trust not to damage the wheels and even if they do they can fix it.

Trouble is I find most of the local places will try and shift budget tyres because they're so cheap to begin with that they can get away with higher margins.

Marshall/Nexen/Prestivo - stuff like that - or sometimes weird ones - Triangle tyres or Spider tyres, who buys these things?!?

E.g. They'll offer you a £50/60 tyre for £85 a corner fitted because they know it seems like a better deal than selling you £100 tyres that they can't make as much on margin and fitting wise.

They always claim how good they are and that whatever tyre they are trying to shift is always made by some big name company. Reminds me of the advert 'Just like a Golf'

I admire the support of local businesses but if you guys religiously buy from the same place each time how do you know you're getting a good deal? When I buy sets of tyres it's usually £500+ give or take so the savings are a *lot* more than £3 a corner or £5/10 as suggested - often £100/200 a set cheaper shopping around. I can't personally justify paying that amount extra like for like - pretty much covers a wheel refurb or some other work on the car.

A bit like some of the people I know who refuse to change energy suppliers or just accept the renewal price for certain things like Insurance/broadband etc.

Fair enough if you've got money to burn but I don't. I think the trend of online shopping is a trend that's here to stay :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom