Mytyres- peculiar experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splitpin

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E500, CL500
I am trying to purchase a set of Nokians for my car from Mytyres.

Initial online attempt with payment by a Visa card..Delticom Tyres Ltd claimed
that my card refused to pay them.
I obtained printed confirmation that that my order was then cancelled.

Second attempt, again online with another Visa card..Mytyres accepted
order/payment by Email.

The next day Delticom Tyres Ltd. Emailed saying that I had to transfer the
sum (For tyres) into an account in the Commerzbank London Branch.

My suspicions were aroused & I am not paying any further sums, whilst they have my Visa details. I have replied & requested a detailed coherant explanation.

Has anyone else experienced such experience with them ?

Needless to say, I am trying to source Nokians elsewhere but with little success as yet.:(

Splitpin

Might be perfectly safe, but for me personally alarm bells would be ringing and I would not be going any further with them. I would also call the bank and raise a concern about the credit card you used.

I got my tyres from this company a few weeks ago, they are genuine and I had a faultless experience. I also had telephone contact with them too when I had a query. Bank transfer is one of their payment options, but I paid with my Visa Credit card no problems.

I don't doubt the legitimacy of MyTyres - they have been around for years - but it's not impossible for these sites to be cloned and therefore your transaction may not be with the legitimate company but the dodgy one.

I recently bought some tyres from them and paid by Paypal - no problems. Just be aware that when they tell you the tyres are 'in stock at their warehouse', they don't tell you that warehouse is somewhere on the continent! (Germany?) If they now have your credit card details, aren't they always going to have them? You aren't going to be able to 'get them back'. Call your card company or check your account online for payments made to them.

I just got my winter tyres from MyTyres, 4 days delivery from Hanover. No problems with payment (Visa) and extremely helpful lady on the phone answered all my queries.

I just got my winter tyres from MyTyres, 4 days delivery from Hanover. No problems with payment (Visa) and extremely helpful lady on the phone answered all my queries.

Yes, Precisely what I would expect & that is why I am so suspicious.

It is utterly abnormal. I have checked with my Visa bank & no withdrawels so far.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
I will investigate possibility of cloned site.

Splitpin

I am trying to purchase a set of Nokians for my car from Mytyres.

Initial online attempt with payment by a Visa card..Delticom Tyres Ltd claimed
that my card refused to pay them.
I obtained printed confirmation that that my order was then cancelled.

order/payment by Email.

The next day Delticom Tyres Ltd. Emailed saying that I had to transfer the
sum (For tyres) into an account in the Commerzbank London Branch.

My suspicions were aroused & I am not paying any further sums, whilst they have my Visa details. I have replied & requested a detailed coherant explanation.

Has anyone else experienced such experience with them ?

Needless to say, I am trying to source Nokians elsewhere but with little success as yet.:(

Splitpin

The exact same scenario happened to me about a month ago, gave them my card details over the phone and for some strange reason it did not go through. I blame them for this they must have misheard me or wrote one of the digits down wrong. They then sent me an email like the one above asking for payment to be made into their account. Once this was done two days later I got an email saying that the funds had been received and that my order would now ben processed. A few days later the tyres were delivered.
What I dislike about them is the people who answer your call, i'm certain they are speaking to you from a call centre in India.

order/payment by Email.

This bit confuses me. You paid by Visa and received an order confirmation by email? Or you clicked a different button and opted to pay by email? In which case their sending you an email with payment instructions would seem to be the next logical step.

Regards,

It would appear that others are experiencing similar problems here:-http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/

Today I bought a set of winter tyres from the mytyres website. Credit card details entered and accepted invoice address and delivery address entered and order confimation email received.
I get a call within 5 minutes from the fraud division of my credit card company asking me to verify the purchase, all is well and good.

This evening I get an email from [email protected] asking me to fax a copy of my latest gas/elec bill to prove my identity or they will be unable to process my order. WTF?
The credit card payment has been approved, they already have my name & address, why should they need more?

Should I cancel the order?
I'm really twitchy about giving this kind of information to someone I can't even see.

Which puts my mind at rest after eading through the relevant thread.

The last time I used a credit card and was concerned afterwards I called the bank and explained it and they stopped the card and issued a new one just in case. A hassle but better than the risk if something has gone wrong.

Their website lists Commerzbank as their UK bankers. The address is correct, and Commerzbank is the second largest German bank, equivalent to say Barclays.

I suspect the problem with processing the first payment moved them (like you) into suspicious mode. A bank transfer will deter those trying it on, of which there are far too many. In Germany last week my Visa card had a lot of problems, and in my experience of working with a German organisation (oddly enough now owned by Commerzbank) they are much more conservative about payment options.

Not sure that helps, always best to be suspicious, but I think this is legit.

The exact same scenario happened to me about a month ago, gave them my card details over the phone and for some strange reason it did not go through. I blame them for this they must have misheard me or wrote one of the digits down wrong. They then sent me an email like the one above asking for payment to be made into their account. Once this was done two days later I got an email saying that the funds had been received and that my order would now ben processed. A few days later the tyres were delivered.
What I dislike about them is the people who answer your call, i'm certain they are speaking to you from a call centre in India.

The directors, or at least two, appear to be Asian but their address is Delticom Tyres Charlbury, Oxford.

I doubt they would employ the services of a call centre in India ...

When I spoke to them it was a call centre in Germany! He spoke very good English but it was definitely with a German accent

From their website

Delticom Tyres Ltd.
9 Thames Street,
Charlbury
Oxford OX7 3QL

Telephone: 0800 3286532 (FreeCall)
0207 6640702 or 0049 511 93634520
Fax: 01212-103330
Service hours are: Mo-Fri 6am-9pm and Sa-Sun 8am-4pm.

Please do not return any tyres to the above address. We cannot accept any tyre deliveries at this address. Please give us a call, or contact us by e-mail at [email protected]. We'll arrange for the tyres to be picked up.

Any slight problems I've had have been easily resolved after a phone call. That's when they were still based in Glasgow which is few years ago. Wonder if you called them on the weekend? Lots of companies seem to use Indian call centres for - out of office hours/weekend customer service calls. Phoning during normal office hours during the week can mean speaking to someone who actually works directly for the company

ps office hours in Germany will slightly different to the UK.

Last edited:
I bought a single tyre from them last year (for my other car - not the Merc) and had no problems.

From their website

Delticom Tyres Ltd.
9 Thames Street,
Charlbury
Oxford OX7 3QL

Telephone: 0800 3286532 (FreeCall)
0207 6640702 or 0049 511 93634520
Fax: 01212-103330
Service hours are: Mo-Fri 6am-9pm and Sa-Sun 8am-4pm.

Please do not return any tyres to the above address. We cannot accept any tyre deliveries at this address. Please give us a call, or contact us by e-mail at [email protected]. We'll arrange for the tyres to be picked up.

Any slight problems I've had have been easily resolved after a phone call. That's when they were still based in Glasgow which is few years ago. Wonder if you called them on the weekend? Lots of companies seem to use Indian call centres for - out of office hours/weekend customer service calls. Phoning during normal office hours during the week can mean speaking to someone who actually works directly for the company

ps office hours in Germany will slightly different to the UK.

I spoke to them promptly on Friday & got a foreign lady (Probably Indian)
who was both difficult to understand & forceful. They were closed when I rang on Saturday.

I am going to ring them tomorrow & endeavour to establish an order for the tyres as I am unable to locate Nokians elsewhere.

Grateful thanks for all the informative & helpful replies:thumb:

Splitpin

I've had difficulties trying to buy a hi-fi system from a German company this weekend using Visa so it may be a Visa problem and not exclusive to Mytyres who I have used without problem in the past.

I'm also a big fan of Nokian WRs and have had them on three cars (300SE, a Honda and a Suzuki) with good winter results over the last six years. They have changed the compound in that time and on being quoted over £100 by MyTyres for each corner of my wife's Suzuki Jimny I tried without success to find another UK supplier. There's now a set of Hankook Ice Bears in the garage instead at 30% cheaper so it will be interesting to compare them with the WRs still fitted to another car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom