N/S/R Tail Light Connector Melted on W204

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by PaulPJ, May 18, 2018.

1. PaulPJ

PaulPJ Member

Car:
    C180K Elegance
    Hi Guys, I have just had front and rear parking sensors fitted and when the guy unplugged the nearside rear taillight connector, the earth had melted. I have just googled this and found it is a well known problem. They have managed to bypass the plug with the earth and reverse wires but I want to replace the light unit and plug. I have found a dealer on the Bay of Es that sells genuine units plus the connector. My only concern is how to feed the existing wires into the new connector. I am assuming the connector has all the metal pins/plugs but how do you connect the wires to the pin/plug and then into the connector plug. I hope that makes sense. TIA Paul

2. wu56Shoozz

wu56Shoozz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
    Car:
    MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
    You could do it the way I did on another vehicle, cut the connector off and leave enough "tail/fly" to solder on to, Join to vehicle loom, then shrink wrap and seal, job done.

Hard Wiring and soldering is so much better and easier.

3. OP
    OP
    PaulPJ

PaulPJ Member

Car:
    C180K Elegance
    Hi, I would do that but the connector has melted too. I need to get a connector that has some cable already in it as you say, solder it together. I have loads of shrink wrap from when I did jobs like this on my old Rover 75. I think the problem is going to be finding a w204 in a scrapyard that I can cut the connector out of.