N00b auto question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Germgh0st

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW G20 M340i
I'll be picking up my C43 in a months time and it will be the first automatic car I've ever owned. I've done some Googling but have failed to find a recent and clear answer to the question 'does the car lurch when put into park'.

Obviously we've all seen the rather dramatic lurching of cars in US TV series, and I'm aware how the parking pawl works. I'm also of the understanding that these days the electronic parking brake automatically engages when the car is put into park.

Reason I ask is that I park my current car within inches of the front of my house (sometimes millimetres!) in order to leave space for a second car on my driveway. I have visions of doing this in the C43 and it lurching into the house.... I know I'll find out as soon as I get the car and try it out, but I'm one of these annoying people who needs to know the answer to questions that pop into my head straight away.

So what can people tell me?

Use the "hold" function. When you come to a stop, press the brake pedal a bit harder and the hold function will operate, then just switch the car off and get out, nothing will move.

My W205 doesn't actually lurch, although when I park on a slope and the electronic hand brake engages when selecting park (or removing key) it may move a fraction, but mainly it appears to rise slightly on the front suspension, as obviously using the footbrake when driving in will put the nose down a bit.

Stop car using foot brake. Put it in park. Handbrake on. Take foot off brake. Works in the GL fine and it doesn’t move unless on a really steep hill when it settles slowly on the transmission parking pawls unless I put the handbrake on really hard.

Obviously we've all seen the rather dramatic lurching of cars in US TV series
This is because Americans never use the parking brake, relying solely on the transmission pawl

I need help with an electronic parking brake issue on my 2015 w246 B180, the scanner is showing Code B23AB (short-circuit or open to ground on the right caliper), I’ve removed the connector and tested with my multimeter and is showing continuity between both terminals on the connector, does anyone have the diagram for the epb wiring ao i can try to locate this short-circuit ? Thank you so much.

Attachments

• CFC3C339-6787-4D5C-8311-048927167961.jpeg
    CFC3C339-6787-4D5C-8311-048927167961.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 6
no auto car will move in P unless your on a hill then it will a bit until it locks

I'm confused by you saying this - if you don't use the parking brake (many don't) then the car will "settle" to where the parking pawl locks into place. If you do firmly apply the parking brake then it won't move at all, even on a hill - you especially don't want it to move on a hill as it jam the parking pawl and be difficult to get out of Park.

I don't routinely use the parking brake and I park mine very close the front corner of our house, the drive looks level but the car will settle back a little, as the block paving is ever so slightly sunk where the car's wheel rests, when I release the footbrake after putting the transmission into Park. I can't say exactly how far it moves, but I'd say it varies from nothing to maybe an inch or so, perhaps a little more.

There is no lurch.

The parking brake (hand brake) is also totally automatic. You just stop with the foot brake, put it in P and the car will automatically apply the parking brake.

When you set off again, change to D, and the parking brake is automatically released so you can accelerate.

There is no lurch.

The parking brake (hand brake) is also totally automatic. You just stop with the foot brake, put it in P and the car will automatically apply the parking brake.

When you set off again, change to D, and the parking brake is automatically released so you can accelerate.

Can you turn the auto-handbrake off? My wife's VW Tiguan has autohold and autohandbrake, but we turn them off - they seem a nonsense in an auto. Don't like leaving the handbrake on when the cars are parked on the drive as we often don't use our cars for days at a time and the pads stick, especially on the Tiguan as the electric system puts the brake on very hard.

Can you turn the auto-handbrake off? My wife's VW Tiguan has autohold and autohandbrake, but we turn them off - they seem a nonsense in an auto. Don't like leaving the handbrake on when the cars are parked on the drive as we often don't use our cars for days at a time and the pads stick, especially on the Tiguan as the electric system puts the brake on very hard.

According to the manual, you have to manually use the parking brake release/engage button. Assume it automatically engages and then you manually release.

Looks like handbrake turns are a thing of the past.

Reported

I need help with an electronic parking brake issue on my 2015 w246 B180, the scanner is showing Code B23AB (short-circuit or open to ground on the right caliper), I’ve removed the connector and tested with my multimeter and is showing continuity between both terminals on the connector, does anyone have the diagram for the epb wiring ao i can try to locate this short-circuit ? Thank you so much.

Might I politely suggest starting your own thread for this instead of hijacking another?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom