N0x sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twiggy

Car
GX65OKR
I have a 2015 C220 Bluetec, the engine light came on and my local garage diagnosed the N0x sensor. Replacement cost over £500. I’ve looked through the forums on here but I can’t see anything about cleaning rather than replacing. I assume the fault is due to carbon blocking the sensor inlet holes. Carbon can be broken down using cleaning agents so can these sensors be dipped in cleaning agent for a few hours or overnight to remove the carbon, then refitted? If you did this yourself then the cost would be about £5.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I have a 2015 C220 Bluetec, the engine light came on and my local garage diagnosed the N0x sensor. Replacement cost over £500. I’ve looked through the forums on here but I can’t see anything about cleaning rather than replacing. I assume the fault is due to carbon blocking the sensor inlet holes. Carbon can be broken down using cleaning agents so can these sensors be dipped in cleaning agent for a few hours or overnight to remove the carbon, then refitted? If you did this yourself then the cost would be about £5.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
If they’re already broken and you have the ability to do it, then what do you to lose apart from £5 and the time to do it? Give it a go, you never know it might work.

I have read reports on the Internet of it having been done successfully. As Rob said, it’s worth a try if it’s only going to cost you a fiver.

On the other hand, lots of us here have had them replaced free (or with a tiny contribution) by Mercedes because it’s a known issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom