Nagging feeling petrol station attendant just put diesel in my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
I'm abroad at the moment where the petrol station usually has attendants who fuel your car for you. Me speaking in English whilst being distracted on the phone meant I was juggling things but I told the guy "20 euros, 95 please". There's a been a couple of occasions where they approach the car and say "diesel?" and I say "No, petrol, 95" so diesel is usually the first thing that comes into some of these guys minds. I didn't see where he took the pump from and usually I keep an eye on them but I was distracted and got out the car to pay.

When I got back in the car, just by habit, I looked at the pump holder where it looked like he got the pump from next to my fuel cap and it was diesel. The petrol pumps were about 60cm towards the front of the car and I can't remember or know for sure where he took the pump from because I didn't see. It's just one of those feelings which was nagging me as I began driving home. Tank was virtually empty and it's a 2018 CLA C180 Coupe petrol. 20 euros worth of fuel. Car seemed okay on the short drive home (about 2 miles) but could have been a bit sluggish it's hard to tell. I threw the receipt away as I walked out the station after paying so can't check that.

If he put diesel, would the car have started/run? Any warning or engine lights etc?

It could just be one of those things like when you think you've forgot to lock the back door and you go back and check and it's locked, but I don't know. Couldn't really tell by smell either.

Last edited:
I started it at the pump, then looked at the pumps and where the guy took the pump from and then it hit me as I started driving out. I pulled over just outside but decided to drive the short journey home. I checked the car for the receipt but threw it straight in the bin as I walked out the shop after paying.

Just read that diesel pumps sometimes don't fit inside of petrol cars. But it is Cyprus so sometimes all logic goes out the window here! Maybe that's a possibility and a diesel pump wouldn't even fit.

You could open the tank and smell it? Diesel is different and would also leave a residue in the filler. Having said that you car fuel filler/cap is overwritten diesel or petrol I think - and the attendant would have read that.

if you can, take a different car and get some petrol in canisters and pour it in to dilute the (possible) diesel.

If it's still running you're probably OK, I think you'd know by now. Have you tried sniffing the filler ? pushing the evaporation flap in, diesel has a VERY distinct smell.

Hi , as you have started the car you need to try to clean the fuel lines out by putting petrol in.

Other members have said you should be OK.

Is the car smoking ?

Could be difficult to start.

Good luck

I think the diameter of diesel and petrol pumps are different and would be surprised if he managed to fit the diesel (larger) one in a modern petrol car. If it runs you're probably safe.

A friend of mine put diesel in his MX5 some years ago. The effect was immediate and dramatic and the repairs involved a full engine rebuild. I reckon you’re ok if the car started and drove home.

If you got hime tour probably safe. A diesel pump wont fit in a petrol car and TBF its the same all over europe

Thanks guys.

Okay, maybe it's just because I didn't see this time and was distracted I have that little bit of doubt. I smelt inside the cap and I got a petrol type of smell but I can't really confess to being able to tell the difference because I've never used diesel.

The car did start and seemed to run okay. It's a 1.5 mile journey home and didn't notice any smoke. Hopefully it would be impossible anyway for him to fit a diesel pump in the petrol thing anyway. I might of even done that by mistake here a couple of years ago I think and realised when I couldn't get the pump in the car.

Hmm... I think you'll need to syphon some out and see what it looks like......

41c06l4uBWL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I could be the case that the Diesel oil is still floating on top of the petrol and that if you continue driving they'll mix together and damage the engine.

The fact that you drove for a short while without getting plumes of white smoke out the back and it ran for a while would suggest that it was infract petrol went in. but if it was Diesel it could clog your sparkplugs , damage your fuel filter and even worse damage your catalyser. If you are unsure drain it out.

Considering I started it and drove it the short journey home..I might take it back later this evening when everyone's gone home, and see if the diesel nozzle fits inside the hole. If it doesn't fit or really difficult, I guess that will put an end to it and put my mind at ease. If it does fit...well......cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'd fill it to the brim with petrol & drive it, topping it up every few litres to dilute the diesel (if in fact there's any) in the tank.

I doubt you will be able to fit a syphon tube in a modern car. I tried mine when I wanted a couple of litres for the bike and there was something blocking the tube from going down into the tank.

Just got back from the petrol station.

Diesel pump doesn't fit in the fuel opening properly but you could probably hold it at the opening where it makes contact with the opening and get some diesel in there as well as on the car and your hands, but I'm going to go with the thought process that the employee does it day in day out so would have realised if he couldn't get the pump in properly and alongside the fact the car is running normally with no smoke etc I'd say it's a false alarm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom