Nagging feeling petrol station attendant just put diesel in my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got back from the petrol station.

Diesel pump doesn't fit in the fuel opening properly but you could probably hold it at the opening where it makes contact with the opening and get some diesel in there as well as on the car and your hands, but I'm going to go with the thought process that the employee does it day in day out so would have realised if he couldn't get the pump in properly and alongside the fact the car is running normally with no smoke etc I'd say it's a false alarm!

A 2018 car will have an anti-misfuel device fitted and that also acts as an anti-siphon device. Great that no harm was done other than to your nerves!

ERnie

Next time pay attention, im sure rules are same everywhere in regards to no mobile phones on forecourts..

Where do you suggest I put my phone which is in my car as I pull into a petrol station? :rolleyes:

A 2018 car will have an anti-misfuel device fitted and that also acts as an anti-siphon device. Great that no harm was done other than to your nerves!

ERnie

Any way you can elaborate on that anti-misfuel device and how it works for those of us who were unaware such a thing existed pre-fitted in newer cars? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

Edit: Ah, from YouTube it looks like it's something on the opening to basically block the wrong pump going in.

Next time pay attention, im sure rules are same everywhere in regards to no mobile phones on forecourts..

Shell don't seem to have a problem with customers using mobile phones on their forecourts....:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

^^^^This.

Can’t understand the Shell thing, what’s the ‘need’ for such an app? Looks to be a bit long-winded to me, quicker just to use ‘pay at the pump’, you’ve got to get out of the car anyway.

But about phone use, there seems to be signs on the pumps at most places saying don’t use the phone.

And hang onto the receipt! 😇

Last edited:
Shell don't seem to have a problem with customers using mobile phones on their forecourts....:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I pay using the Shell app, it’s great. Quick to use, and during these times of COVID-19 it removes a potential transmission route, ie paying at the kiosk or pay at pump.

I believe that the signs and legislation were put in place because of the potential risk of sparks - mobile phones are not designed to be spark free, so there remains a risk albeit small.

When I looked into it a while back an industry body said that there had been no confirmed cases of a mobile phone ever sparking and causing a fire, but there remained a risk.

I suspect that now the main reason for not using a mobile phone on the forecourt is the risk of distraction from the hazards of moving vehicles close by and refueling.

As far as I’m aware there is no problem using a mobile phone in safe areas, like inside the car or shop/kiosk, only on the forecourt and at the pump.

I pay using the Shell app, it’s great. Quick to use, and during these times of COVID-19 it removes a potential transmission route, ie paying at the kiosk or pay at pump.

I believe that the signs and legislation were put in place because of the potential risk of sparks - mobile phones are not designed to be spark free, so there remains a risk albeit small.

When I looked into it a while back an industry body said that there had been no confirmed cases of a mobile phone ever sparking and causing a fire, but there remained a risk.

I suspect that now the main reason for not using a mobile phone on the forecourt is the risk of distraction from the hazards of moving vehicles close by and refueling.

As far as I’m aware there is no problem using a mobile phone in safe areas, like inside the car or shop/kiosk, only on the forecourt and at the pump.

Are we talking about using the phone in general or actively making calls standing at a pump for example? I can't remember because I've been spending a lot of time abroad during the last few years but don't some pay at pump systems have mobile contactless payment i.e you'd need to your your phone to touch the payment screen at the pump.

Kind of weird here in Cyprus but you often have three or four guys minimum sitting outside the petrol station building waiting to refuel cars as they pull up. You can either give them the cash through the window or go inside to pay by card. I'm sure most people are capable of refuelling their own car and would save staff costs I would have thought, but saying that, I was approached by a lady about 11pm one night when there are no staff working who asked me how and if I could put petrol in her car for her because she didn't know how. Thought it was a scam or something but she genuinely didn't know how to do it.

I’ve done both 😁, put diesel in my m/bike and petrol in my diesel car. Easily done.

the car was fine as only a small quantity and apparently 10-20% mix is fine. The bike ran fine but smoked like crazy ( a clear sign that your car did not have diesel). I rode 5 miles home and drained the fuel which then got used in gardening equipment.

Plus no risk from doing so..........

It is an urban myth that a mobile telephone can cause a spark to ignite fuel.
...... more worrying is that is seems like he got out of the car and was on the phone..... o_O

Many years ago putting petrol in a diesel taxi TWICE (i know) i have a rule i use when i get to the pump Check twice before i pick the gun up, then check twice again before i pull the trigger and then check again when i put the gun back, Jesus what a worrying time putting fuel in. The app on you phone for filling up, aghh isn't there enough crap on a phone.

Mobile phones are not Intrinsically Safe, that's why you can't use them at petrol stations.

Mobile phones are not Intrinsically Safe, that's why you can't use them at petrol stations.

Yet all the major oil companies have phone apps intended to be used on the forecourt:

Yet all the major oil companies have phone apps intended to be used on the forecourt:

You can't use your phone outside of your car, your car is the Faraday pouch.
I've not looked but I'm sure it will say that in the t&c of the app....obviously there will be an issue with motorbikes!

It's not hard to understand, same as you can't leave your car running while fueling up, the risk of ignition is minimal( like has been said, it's never happened, same as an aeroplane hasn't fallen out of the sky because of a mobile phone)but the outcome if it were to happen could be devastating.

Huh? On car bluetooth speaker whilst pulling into a petrol station? Think before you speak.
It's just bad manners to be on the phone while you're being served

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom