Nagging feeling petrol station attendant just put diesel in my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m certainly not buying the Faraday cage argument. If the car was an effective barrier to RF at the frequencies used by a mobile, you’d not be able to make calls in the car.

Glass windows?

Yet every oil company I have worked for (a few) will not allow a normal mobile on their productions sites.......IIRC, my app says to stay the car to do the transaction.
Back in the day when I was a humble white van man, I delivered to several petroleum product processing/distribution sites. Before you were let anywhere near the main gate, there was normally a video safety briefing to undergo as well as checking your mobile phone in at reception along with any smoking materials -including the in cab cigarette lighter element. And absolutely only diesel powered vehicles allowed on site.

Back in the day when I was a humble white van man, I delivered to several petroleum product processing/distribution sites. Before you were let anywhere near the main gate, there was normally a video safety briefing to undergo as well as checking your mobile phone in at reception along with any smoking materials -including the in cab cigarette lighter element. And absolutely only diesel powered vehicles allowed on site.

The worst refinery explosion in the US in recent times was triggered by a diesel powered vehicle (see 9:10 in the video below):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To often on this forum it seems that a lot of threads get derailed by posters picking up on such minor insignificant details and trying to lecture other posters or get the moral high-ground without reading the details properly or jumping to their own conclusions.
Ah yes. The ‘high & mighty, I know everything about everyone, and how to do it better, ridicule brigade’? Plenty of those on MBClub.

The worst refinery explosion in the US in recent times was triggered by a diesel powered vehicle (see 9:10 in the video below):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
@SpikyMikey

Been quite a while now that all cars have to be specially modified (flash arrestors etc) to get onto petroleum processing plants.

And if you're in a convertible with the roof down?
Good point, but at least I'm not standing at a pump with fuel pumping & petrol vapour pouring out the filler hole while jabbering on my phone or paying for my fuel. The app I use is all preauthorised before you can start filling your tank.

When’s the last time you were in the Middle East ,Asia, Turkey, Eastern Europe ? I’ve seen plenty of people doing it here in the uk too.

At least no one was smoking at the filling station.

When we are all electric we can smoke and chat on the phone during the lengthy filling times.

In the South of Italy there are ashtrays in petrol stations, on the coffee tables outside the shop. So I don't think they'll be fussed if you talk on your phone there....

"Richard Coates, British Petroleum's fire safety officer, has investigated many of the 243 fires that over an 11-year period were attributed to mobiles. 'Mobile phones pose no petrol station hazard,' he said. 'There is nothing to worry about.'"
This is quite a bold statement.

I don’t particularly want to argue with an expert, but isn’t it impossible to prove a negative? It’s just that it’s not happened yet, or could actually have happened in any of the rest of the 243 fires he hasn’t investigated.

Sorry, but I still won’t allow mobile phone use in my car while at a petrol station.

(Unrelated Trivia fact: 243MHz used to be - probably still is - the UHF emergency frequency for aviation)

Last edited:
This is quite a bold statement.

I don’t particularly want to argue with an expert, but isn’t it impossible to prove a negative? It’s just that it’s not happened yet, or could actually have happened in any of the rest of the 243 fires he hasn’t investigated.

Sorry, but I still won’t allow mobile phone use in my car while at a petrol station.

(Unrelated Trivia fact: 243MHz used to be - probably still is - the UHF emergency frequency for aviation)
I don’t think he’s saying that it’s impossible, he’s saying that it’s unlikely and so there is nothing to worry about.

Hence the reason tor signs saying not to use phones on the forecourt; but it being fine to use them inside the car and shop/kiosk.

Glass windows?
Usually, yes.

My point was, a car, windows up or down, won’t block an RF signal from a mobile, so it can't be the RF they are worried about.

We can all come up with theories, I’d like to know the actual argument used by the operators of fuel filling stations is all.

Static is a serious potential(!) problem yet they didn’t ban shell suit wearers from petrol stations :)

Static is a serious potential(!) problem yet they didn’t ban shell suit wearers from petrol stations :)

Static is certainly a serious risk - IIRC it's normal practice to earth aircraft when refueling them.

I remember phone boxes, you can't take them into petrol stations.

I don’t think he’s saying that it’s impossible, he’s saying that it’s unlikely and so there is nothing to worry about.

Hence the reason tor signs saying not to use phones on the forecourt; but it being fine to use them inside the car and shop/kiosk.
NO hazard? NOTHING to worry about? Sounds categorical to me, a lot more than ‘unlikely’

But then the chance of blood clots from a Covid jab is ‘unlikely’, and nobody worried about that...

Hi , when I made deliveries to BAC Filton mobile phones were banned on site.

I would hazard a guess, that if phones were safe to use inside the car but not on the forecourt, then the oil companies would bot have encouraged people to use phone inside their cars (as they do with the app), but would have maintained a blanket ban on using phones in petrol stations.

From an H&S perspective, it won't be a very smart move to rely on Joe Public following the more-complex rule, not if the safely of the petrol station is at stake.

There are pay at pump contactless machines here in Cyprus i.e you can insert cash, insert your card or also touch the screen with contactless payment all within about half meter of some pumps. Can't remember in UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom