Nail guns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

M thinking of buying a nail gun.

My main uses would be attaching 14mm cladding and cedar shingles (I am told these need stainless nails and have always done this although happy to hear others thoughts) on a regular basis

I achieve very tidy results with my old hammer but need to get quicker

How finely can they be adjusted so that the nail heads remain flush with the surface rather than punching through

Any advice on good brands much appreciated, I'm thinking Paslode is the market leader

Thanks

I have 1st & 2nd fix Paslodes. SOME users say they are problematic but I've never had any issues with either. If you maintain them regularly and use the branded gas and nails then they're great product. (Although not cheap)

If you buy the 1st fix machine be sure to also get the little rubber shoe that saves the workpiece from being damaged. The shoe is adjustable via a grub screw for depth on the 1st fix gun.

If you already have a compressor than an air nailer would be cheaper but obviously less easy to work with. (Extension leads, air hoses etc)

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paslode.

I use one for felt & battening roof jobs. It gets wet, dropped, generally abused and worked to death. I never clean it or look after it and I've never had a problem.

We use a combo of either Paul Paslode or Hitachi for all the joinery work we do & that's a lot! Tbh we've had no major issues with either and I'll be honest there isn't much between them..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I had a Hitachi which worked well for the price until the control module packed up. For a diy repair the part was between £110 & £125 and I gave it away as I couldn't justify spending a third of its original cost when it was 7 years old.
Bought a Makita next with a 3 year service plan. Hasn't given any trouble yet in two and a half years use, but when I have taken it in for service, comments have been made on their durability.
I know a chippy who uses paslode & recons he doesn't spend any money on them. He takes in broken ones and cannibalises them for parts to keep at least one machine in use all the time.

I have always been told that copper nails should be used with cedar shingles.

Thanks chaps, I am going to take the plunge and buy a Paslode, hope not to drop it into a big pot of paint Ant!

Thanks chaps, I am going to take the plunge and buy a Paslode, hope not to drop it into a big pot of paint Ant!

Post a link to where you're buying it. See if anyone knows of anywhere cheaper. :thumb:

MCFastybloke said:
Nails could be a bit strong for shingles, splitting problems, 16g pins? availble in SS up to 50mm

That was my fear, splitting the shingles

The only thing with the brads is they're fairly smooth compared to the framing nails. (Ring shank) so they don't offer much resistance when timber dries out and starts wanting to twist.

what gauge SS nails have you been using with your hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom