NAIL in tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
Can this be successfully repaired? (Not using it for racing where the ultimate handling is needed, just around town and to work)

What technique and how much roughly so I don't get ripped off.

Off course I could change the tyre, but that means changing the other tyre on the same axle to the same brand to match the ones on my other axle (I want 4 tyres to be the same).

I could just replace the damaged tyre to match the tyre on the same axle but that would prolong the fact front and rear axles don't match and more importantly this brand of tyre doesn't have a rim protector to avoid kerbing the alloys. So want to really effect a repair until they are prehaps half worn and then all my tyres will co-ordinate.

At the moment the tyre seems stable, perhaps only needing pumping up 2-3 weeks, but it is losing pressure very slowly. However worried that when the nail contacts the road it might disturb the current relatively air tight seal, especially when the tread is worn down a bit more to the nail head.

tyre.jpg

They can be plugged for a cost of araound £10, but that is near if not pretty much on the sidewall - nobody republe will touch repairing that.

I used to work for kwik-fit.............and i would have repaired that,for one reason it IS before the crown where the tread meets the sidewall therefore not illegal to repair.if you look closely at the picture,the crown starts at the end of the chalk mark above the nail,therefore the nail is still in the main tread and NOT the sidewall, but only have it repaired with a plug type patch,any other form of repair on a punture and you're asking for trouble............some tyre centres only use flat type patches like bicycle ones.........these can cause tyre distortions,delamination of tyres and blowouts.the plug completely fills the hole and protects the metal braiding in the tyre from corrossion,where the flat patches dont,the braiding corrodes and starts to seperate which can lead to the above.

Last edited:
Consider this: at the moment you are driving the car with a nail in the tyre. Could a proper plug repair be any worse?

Hi

Get a plug repair and drive the tyre done, i have had them done before with no problems, some with a vested interest will be un-willing to repair it if that is the case go to the next garage.

Only my opinion

Is it definitely not the side wall? Sure easier if it isn't, though it does look very borderline?

tyre2.jpg

shrekky said:
I used to work for kwik-fit.............and i would have repaired that,for one reason it IS before the crown where the tread meets the sidewall therefore not illegal to repair.if you look closely at the picture,the crown starts at the end of the chalk mark above the nail,therefore the nail is still in the main tread and NOT the sidewall, but only have it repaired with a plug type patch,any other form of repair on a punture and you're asking for trouble............some tyre centres only use flat type patches like bicycle ones.........these can cause tyre distortions,delamination of tyres and blowouts.the plug completely fills the hole and protects the metal braiding in the tyre from corrossion,where the flat patches dont,the braiding corrodes and starts to seperate which can lead to the above.

You mentioned you are not going racing, so are considering a repair. I can understand what you mean by that because of speeds, stress etc.

BUT........ Are you going to carry your family? The hole is not in the sidewall, but it is not far off.

I keep saying this and it is meant in a friendly manner. Hindsight is a useless talent. How often do we hear drivers say, "If only!"

You might plug it and it will be fine, you might plug it and the thing blows right when you don't want it to happen.

Please replace the tyre.

Kind regards,
John

glojo said:
You mentioned you are not going racing, so are considering a repair. I can understand what you mean by that because of speeds, stress etc.

BUT........ Are you going to carry your family? The hole is not in the sidewall, but it is not far off.

I keep saying this and it is meant in a friendly manner. Hindsight is a useless talent. How often do we hear drivers say, "If only!"

You might plug it and it will be fine, you might plug it and the thing blows right when you don't want it to happen.

Please replace the tyre.

Kind regards,
John

Totally agree, modern tyre carcasses don't like holes and start to deform. Everyone is always on about safety. It starts with tyres. Remember your car is only attached to the road with 4 black patches.

Replace please

regards,

Job

glojo said:

Please replace the tyre.

Kind regards,
John

At the moment replacement is the running (if unpopular, cash wise) 'favourite' - to be on the safe side.

I wasn't sure if tyre repair technology had moved on, hence my original question, can it be successfully repaired. My first 'puncture' in 20 years of driving so I'm not totally clued up on these sort of things :crazy:

I think I tend to agree - If in doubt...

After all, it's not really worth the risk, is it? Guy's E-class suffered a nasty blowout on one of the tyres, and that was without having had any puncture repairs. :eek: If it was more towards the centre of the tyre, and/or in a 'thick' part of the tread itself, then a repair would be a safer bet.

I'd replace the tyre :)

Will

Stratman said:
Consider this: at the moment you are driving the car with a nail in the tyre. Could a proper plug repair be any worse?

I didn't know I was driving around with a nail in my tyre, I just knew that this tyre needed 'topping up' on air everytime I checked the pressure, while the other tyres didn't differ much. - I only found out a few days ago when I had the car MOT'ed, the tester put on the chalk marks to highlight the nail to me, but said he couldn't fail the car for that reason. (perhaps it should be a point of an MOT failure)

uumode said:
At the moment replacement is the running (if unpopular, cash wise) 'favourite' - to be on the safe side.

I wasn't sure if tyre repair technology had moved on, hence my original question, can it be successfully repaired. My first 'puncture' in 20 years of driving so I'm not totally clued up on these sort of things :crazy:

I know it is no consulation, but Formula One is at present facing a 'tyre' dilema.

It looks like all the Michelin runners are refusing to race in the US because their tyres are deemed unsafe!!

Good luck and I respect your decision to seek advice on this situation.

John

glojo said:
I know it is no consulation, but Formula One is at present facing a 'tyre' dilema.

It looks like all the Michelin runners are refusing to race in the US because their tyres are deemed unsafe!!

Good luck and I respect your decision to seek advice on this situation.

John

Thanks to all :)

New tyres it is (or tyre)

Rather than a plug you could have the tyre vulcanised. This process bonds fresh rubber into the existing so is a strong repair. Expect to pay £20.

I had a nearly new tyre with a similar puncture and ATS sent it for vulcanising. It was as good or bad as the rest of the tyres on the car, Pirelli P6000. All the tyres wore unevenly with strange wear patches showing and one delaminated, though not the repaired one.

do your sums:-
price of original tyre-wear ( use a tyre gauge to measure remaining tread depth) + cost of repair.
compare to the price of a new replacement tyre try www.mytyres.co.uk and taking into consideration the safety aspect and you probably have your answer. another thought whats your spare like? some are unused!!! :) :)

tyre1a.jpg

As some have said ,if in doubt replace................but the black line is the start of the sidewall...............and reference has been made to"if it was in the middle where the tread is thicker"...............what you missed is that ,the nail has missed the tread and gone straight through the carcass.........and no matter where on the tyre "treaded area" you go............if you miss the tread the carcass is the same thickness across the whole tread area.some garages will say no............well its only because they want to sell you a new tyre,and as far as my experience has lead me(5 years as a tyre fitter)........you stand just as much chance as a new tyre failing as a PROPERLY repaired one.especially perrellis.....lol

Last edited:
to answer your question murray................we always torqued them down ,there was always a chart on the wall with all the manufacters on with all the makes of cars,with listing of all the torque settings,and we always used nm(newton metres) not lbs/inch.this chart was renewed every year.
well that was the policy,and most of us followed it,and others were just to lazy too,thats why i left,i hated they way they ripped people off and the attitude of some of the staff including management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom