Nail varnish damage to centre console box - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

salesac1

Car
'00 W202 Classic Selection (or is it?)
A few years back, we had a spill of nail varnish down the driver's side of the centre console box (which is black).

Someone nameless, but female :crazy: , put the open pot of varnish on top of the box lid.....inevitable result moments later: white streaks covering an area of approx 10cm x 15cm.

I probably made it worse with a few desperate efforts to remove it. The pro valeters have also been unable to help much.

The last thing I tried was Autoglym Bumper Care as that restores the appearance of exterior black mouldings. But it didn't really help with this.

The only good news is that, viewed side-on, the damage is mostly obscured by the seat. But whenever I push the seat back, there it is staring at me.

I'd like to do something about it and just wondered if anyone has ideas on an inexpensive way that could improve the appearance. I've been quoted £85+VAT to re-cover the vinyl - would rather not pay that much.

The only other idea I have is to apply a 'suitable' sticker over the area, maybe the MB laurel wreath logo with lots of swirly lines on it....

mer004.gif

A few years back, we had a spill of nail varnish down the driver's side of the centre console box (which is black).

Someone nameless, but female :crazy: , put the open pot of varnish on top of the box lid.....inevitable result moments later: white streaks covering an area of approx 10cm x 15cm.

I probably made it worse with a few desperate efforts to remove it. The pro valeters have also been unable to help much.

The last thing I tried was Autoglym Bumper Care as that restores the appearance of exterior black mouldings. But it didn't really help with this.

The only good news is that, viewed side-on, the damage is mostly obscured by the seat. But whenever I push the seat back, there it is staring at me.

I'd like to do something about it and just wondered if anyone has ideas on an inexpensive way that could improve the appearance. I've been quoted £85+VAT to re-cover the vinyl - would rather not pay that much.

The only other idea I have is to apply a 'suitable' sticker over the area, maybe the MB laurel wreath logo with lots of swirly lines on it....

View attachment 8629

have you got a photo of the damaged area ?

Wondered if you might ask that - will post one later today when I have access to a camera.

My otherwise brand-new looking 5mth old car had a deep cut in the light grey centre console surround and MB Direct said it would be invisibly repaired, and it really was - no-one would ever know it had been done.

If it's done professionally then £85 doesn't buy much work these days.

We got a brand-new living room carpet when my daughter dropped nail varnish on to it - it was a big and expensive carpet, and pretty new. I thought they'd try to clean/repair it, but they just replaced it.

Halfords used to do an aerosol refinisher for vinyl which was available in grey and black. I used several cans of the grey when refurbishing my VW camper, and it worked well. It may still be available.

It would be best to remove the console from the car and mask it off carefully before respraying.

There was also a cleaner/degreaser that was supposed to be used to prepare for the vinyl spray. I didn't buy that, though.

Halfords used to do an aerosol refinisher for vinyl which was available in grey and black. I used several cans of the grey when refurbishing my VW camper, and it worked well. It may still be available.

Thanks to all. Now I'm finding ideas all over the web, it seems even Chips Away might be worth a try. Clean Image is a fascinating site, if they weren't 80-odd miles away from me I might contact them. What a job they did on that vandalised MB!

Halfords advertise a "Flexible Vinyl Paint" in a can - does that seem similar to the spray you used?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_productId_173967_langId_-1_categoryId_90896

You might try acetone - but it may well try to eat the rest of the console - try a tiny amount on a cotton bud applied to a hidden area first.

I used Chips Away!

They really did an invisible repair - well pleased!:D

I used Chips Away!

Thanks, it was for a similar problem I assume - do you mind me asking how much it cost ?

Halfords advertise a "Flexible Vinyl Paint" in a can - does that seem similar to the spray you used?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_productId_173967_langId_-1_categoryId_90896

Yes, that's the stuff! Highly recommended.

I forgot to mention, it is very flexible indeed and, if properly prepared and applied, it sticks to vinyl trim like 'you know what' to a blanket.

I wouldn't recommend doing it in situ unless you are confident that you can mask everywhere that it might go.

Just out of interest would it not be easier just to get a centre console box from a breakers yard ?

View attachment 8629

And you stayed together??

She must be very special ;)

And you stayed together??

She must be very special ;)

We did, and yes, she is. She was at primary school at the time, now about to take GCSEs....wouldn't put it past my daughter :D to repeat that varnish trick tho'.

Photos [of the damage] will be along as soon as I have got them compressed.

As requested earlier, here are a couple of photos that I hope give an idea of the damage:

SN850016.JPG

SN850015.JPG

Not as bad as I expected but still bad. Have you tried things like nail varnish remover or white sprit even to get rid of it ?

Thanks. Nail varnish remover did not work when I tried it. I guess I could try white spirit for what it is worth - I have dulled the finish enough already with various ill-fated attempts to clean it, so why not one more :rolleyes:.

Thanks. Nail varnish remover did not work when I tried it. I guess I could try white spirit for what it is worth - I have dulled the finish enough already with various ill-fated attempts to clean it, so why not one more :rolleyes:.

You cant use solvents on this as it looks as though it has melted the surface and become one. I would apply a vinyl paint on the end of a matchstick on the stain direct, wait till its almost dry and put a finger on it to smudge it slightly to take away the height and to defuse it

I used Chips Away!

The repair was paid for by the used car dealer I bought the car off!

So I do not know the actual cost!

I had some stone chip repairs carried out by them, and the most I ever paid was £100.

They will come out and give you free quotes without obligation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom