Nail varnish remover Arghh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Used acetone to get some permanent marker stain off window.. don't ask lol

Where it touched the trim it caused it to lose shine
IMG_1179.png

Help!

How can I get it back to how it was?

I was gonna apply car wax but I'm not sure

Is it leather or artico?
I suspect the latter...

Saying that I have used Renapur renovator on most things including trim, and had success
Some oily based treatment might help.....

Good luck

I've ordered that stuff. When I apply say car wax it makes it look like new but when it drys it goes back how it is pictures...

If it is Artico, would heat help (it's vinyl after all)?

If it is Artico, would heat help (it's vinyl after all)?

I've no idea I'm just worried about making it worse

Acetone, aka nail varnish remover, super glue remover etc is pretty much like cellulose thinners, it will melt most soft plastics & some paints.

Acetone, aka nail varnish remover, super glue remover etc is pretty much like cellulose thinners, it will melt most soft plastics & some paints.

Great thanks for that information :D

Any advice on how to restore it would be appreciated

The interior of a car isn’t supposed to be as shiny as yours; it would seem to me you have removed some polish product with the acetone and the bit you think you have damaged is how it is suppose to be.

Got any pictures of your dashboard?

Dec

2q2mluq.jpg

The interior of a car isn’t supposed to be as shiny as yours; it would seem to me you have removed some polish product with the acetone and the bit you think you have damaged is how it is suppose to be.

Got any pictures of your dashboard?

Dec

2q2mluq.jpg

IMG_1182.png

Dash doesn’t look as shiny, do you use polish on it or how do you clean it?

Dec

Dash doesn’t look as shiny, do you use polish on it or how do you clean it?

Dec

I use turtle wax cockpit shine
But it didn't bring the 'less shiny' area back to how it was before

Yeh the dash is Matt effect and looks similar to the 'damaged' bit

Confused now lol

The small picture below is my door, it’s my understanding the interior should have little or no reflective qualities so as to avoid glare and any cleaning should be with a hot towel and nothing else, no polish or detergent. Could be wrong about this so see what other advice comes up.

Dec

2q2mluq.jpg

The small picture below is my door, it’s my understanding the interior should have little or no reflective qualities so as to avoid glare and any cleaning should be with a hot towel and nothing else, no polish or detergent. Could be wrong about this so see what other advice comes up.

Dec

2q2mluq.jpg

Oh

Cool! That's good to hear as I thought I'd damaged it

Is that a Clk? Hopefully someone who has a Clk can post a close up shot of their door

Mine is a late 1997 W202, same idea, mottled surface so as to reduce reflection.
Pictures from other CLKs would help a lot alright.
What’s the end of the dash like, that’s the bit you can’t see unless the door is open, and would it have been polished too?

Dec

Mine is a late 1997 W202, same idea, mottled surface so as to reduce reflection.
Pictures from other CLKs would help a lot alright.
What’s the end of the dash like, that’s the bit you can’t see unless the door is open, and would it have been polished too?

Dec

IMG_1184.png

Do you think was that polished too, can't tell from picture?

Was the acetone diluted when it hit the vinyl?

Dec

Do you think was that polished too, can't tell from picture?

Was the acetone diluted when it hit the vinyl?

Dec

It was nail varnish remover

I spilt some on my hand etc no harm so it can't be that strong

Nail varnish I think use to be cellulous thinners, somebody mentioned acetone so that might be in it too, cellulous thinner was used for thinning cellulous car paint, nail varnish use to be cellulous paint, I think its banned now on health grounds.

At least no serious damage done. It might be worth seeing a similar car in the flesh to make a comparison.

Dec

Nail varnish I think use to be cellulous thinners, somebody mentioned acetone so that might be in it too, cellulous thinner was used for thinning cellulous car paint, nail varnish use to be cellulous paint, I think its banned now on health grounds.

At least no serious damage done. It might be worth seeing a similar car in the flesh to make a comparison.

Dec

Yep I'll try some treatment for it but I went back to car now and it's now much more unnoticeable.. I couldn't even find the area for a while..

I'd try some leather sealant from ebay, comes in matt, satin or gloss, worth a go as works on vinyl as well I believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom