Nails in tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay1983

Car
mercedes ml270 cdi
Is any1 else as unlucky as I am.
So far this month I've had 5! I dont live or work on a building site but for some reason my tyres are like magnets.
Checking pressures on my tyres this mornin and spotted another!!!!
Really not impressed

I had two on the CL at the same time in the same tyre within 75mm. of each other in a nearly new tyre.....too close for a repair.....new tyre.....bummer.

Mic

Went to Kwik Fit many years ago when I was young and not worldly wise for a free brake check. The nice man set me up with a coffee in their waiting room and a few minutes later he came back and showed me a nail he had found in my tyre - said I was lucky he found it whilst in for the free brake check ;-)

So, had to spend £50 on a new tyre which was a lot of money 20 years ago. Never ventured back to Kwik Fit since.

So far this month I've had 5! I dont live or work on a building site but for some reason my tyres are like magnets.
Really not impressed

If they are new nails or in the same place I suspect someone is having a pop

I had two on the CL at the same time in the same tyre within 75mm. of each other in a nearly new tyre.....too close for a repair.....new tyre.....bummer.

Mic

Yes, I had one in the base and edge of tyre on a car half a day old.......meant a brand new tyre. I also had a similar event the day before I sold a car....same result.....costly. We were all just unlucky.

Really not impressed

Mmmm-- check where you normally park your car carefully- could be vandalism as suggested.

The thought has crossed my mind tbh.
I will not be pullin off my drive from now on without a good look around

sounds like some git throwing them down, that many nails in a short time sounds very suspect

When I see a nail or screw on the road, I pick it up and put it in a bin.

Sadly, too often I see workers clearing-up and leaving behind them scores of scattered nails and screwed, as they are probably of too low value to bother with picking them up.

When I see a nail or screw on the road, I pick it up and put it in a bin.

Sadly, too often I see workers clearing-up and leaving behind them scores of scattered nails and screwed, as they are probably of too low value to bother with picking them up.

^^ +1. :thumb:

I always pick up screws/nails because apart from someone having to buy a new tyre there is the potential for a blowout even months after the nail has entered the tyre.

A small strong magnet tied to stick or wire is best for detecting. Its able to go all around all sides and over and is a great assistance to the eyes.

i have had two nails in the front tyre of my C220 coupe, but i fixed them myself with a repair kit (cost £6.00), i know some people don't think its safe to fix tyres, but it had lots of tread, so i thought bugger it, why not, 15,000 miles later it's still ok and can i feel any difference... no....best £6.00 i've spent....just a thought

Very sad news.... these four Conti MOs were fitted last month and did less than 700 miles.... you can still see the leftover of the blue markings from the coloured rings. In the wet there are air bubbles coming out around the screw's head, so it looks like I'll need a new tyre now. :(

Will give the tyre place call on Tuesday. Why oh why do people drop nails and screws on the road I'll never know.:dk:

tyrez.jpg

Last edited:
Very sad news.... these four Conti MOs were fitted last month and did less than 700 miles.... you can still see the leftover of the blue markings from the coloured rings. In the wet there are air bubbles coming out around the screw's head, so it looks like I'll need a new tyre now. :(

Will give the tyre place call on Tuesday. Why oh why do people drop nails and screws on the road I'll never know.:dk:

tyrez.jpg
try to repair it mate, why not..give it a go and save yourself the money for a new tyre?.. there is loads of life in that tyre

tyrez.jpg

That screw looks a bit close to the shoulder for a patch or plug repair, but you should be able to have it vulcanised.
I had a very similar puncture when I first got my car, but ATS sent the tyre off for vulcanising, cost £20.

try to repair it mate, why not..give it a go and save yourself the money for a new tyre?.. there is loads of life in that tyre

The position of the screw in that tyre means it's irrepairable. Even a back street garage would say no to that repair. Lethal.

That screw looks a bit close to the shoulder for a patch or plug repair, but you should be able to have it vulcanised.
I had a very similar puncture when I first got my car, but ATS sent the tyre off for vulcanising, cost £20.

The position of the screw in that tyre means it's irrepairable. Even a back street garage would say no to that repair. Lethal.

:confused:

Paint it over with a black sharpie and leave it in there

this is not a serious suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom