'Naked' Roads ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJH

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180k for Wifey, SEAT Leon TSi
Don't know if this would work in the UK.....
BBc News Link

Does anyone know of the scheme in Wiltshire? Is it working ?

we have an unofficial one of these in Harrogate - It's called the pedestrian zone :( The amount of traffic in the zone after 9.00am in the morning is incredible and they tend to drive like it is a road - not a pedestrian zone :mad: .

I'm usually one to give anything a go and see if it will or won't work - but this just seems like madness to me. :crazy:

I think it could work...

Have you ever had to go through a junction where the set of traffic lights has totally failed? I have, on several occasions, and each time I was driving very defensively and with extreme caution.

I remember a programme on traffic/vehicle safety that was broadcast years ago on channel 4 and I remember one traffic cop who was also an advisor and his great idea was to replace steering wheel airbags with a 8" solid metal spike sharpened to a fine point, his theory being that drivers would take much more care with visible danger infront of them instead of being lulled into a false sense of security... "Oh it doesn't matter if I drive wrecklessly, all my driving aids and safety equipment will save me" etc.

S.

OMG!!! That road is the road of my UNI!... If they do that there will be even more jams than there are now! When the street lights are down, two things inevitably happen:
- a few more-aggressive motorists get where they want to go
- TONS of people get stuck in a 7-mile long que behind some fool who doesn't move because hes too "cautious"...
bah... I grew up in a country without speed limits, traffic signs nor street lights (first one was installed this winter, rotfl) and trust me, driving with rules is ALOT more relaxing...
What will happen in Kensington is that as people get used to the area, those who are regular drivers will be reckless, those who aren't will form ques...
Spinal

I've seen this kind of road in The Netherlands and it does work, at least for us tourists. When I first went down one of these roads I thought I had missed a pedestrian only signs but soon realised that there was other traffic there too besides taxis. It really made me open my eyes to what was going on but I doubt it would work everywhere.

I am not sure, but I beleive they had a before and after photoshopped picture in yesterdays Daily Mail. The thing which struck me was the clarity of the road with all the pedestrian controlled traffic lights and associated railings, sign posts and street lights removed. The lights were shown on one side of the road only. From a drivers height, the road was certainly much clearer

...road "furniture" and lines on the road are a pet hate of mine. There's so much of this stuff now, there's hardly any room for the bare tarmacadam.
Rgds
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom