name the part and function please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Braincrank

Car
Mercedes 200E
I would like some info on these two parts please. First, what does the black tube do (the one with the two arrows)?
I noticed that it is broken where I drew the red arrow. It comes from the air filter.
Second, there's a little tube (looks like a vacuum pipe) coming from where I drew the green arrow, and it goes into the little round barrel/cylinder that you can see in the second picture. What does that little barrel/cylinder do?
A couple of months ago the car didn't start very well and after searching long and hard I found the connection from that tiny tube that comes out of that little barrel and goes to the black tube (2. pic , green arrow) to be broken. After fixing it the car was starting ok again.
I was a bit baffled but nevertheless happy.
Does the tube in pic 2 or the little tube that goes into pic 1 influence the starting or running of the engine ?
I ordered a new tube today and I should have it by Wednesday (-:
Will it be ok to drive the car or can I get stuck because of that broken tube ?
Any info is welcome (-:

ForumRunner_20140502_194611.jpg

ForumRunner_20140502_194553.jpg

The small tube is a vacuum pipe to the fuel pressure regulator.
The large black pipe is from the airbox to engine vent to aux air device.
both will cause poor starting/rough uneven idle,cutting out.There is another pipe
from the aux air device to the airflow meter(underneath the unit) that can cause the same fault as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom