Names ain't just for tombstones, baby...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Having settled my bill at Hughes this morning, I took a brief wander round the showroom and found myself - not for the first time - sitting in an R172. I'm still in two minds about whether to upgrade, what with my now 8-year-old R171 starting to rack up extra bills outside of standard servicing.

As I sat there in my reverie, I sensed someone standing by the passenger door. "Hello Mr xxxxx", he said. The face looked familiar - by George, it was the chap who'd sold me my first SLK back in 2003, and who had sought in vain for a suitable replacement when I swapped it for my current one two years later (I ended up buying it elsewhere, but have been back to Hughes for servicing ever since).

It's been a good seven years plus since I last saw or spoke to him, so I was mightily impressed that he remembered me (I was struggling to recall his name myself). In the ensuing conversation, he revealed that the SLK 250CDi had been withdrawn from the UK market (he knew not why, but suspected it was related to technical issues). No hard-sell pressure tactics, just a very easy-going discussion about the merits of the new model and the joys of new car ownership in general. I left with a brochure and price list in hand and something else to consider alongside the renaissance of the Fabia.

"Hello Mr xxxxx", he said.
It's been a good seven years plus since I last saw or spoke to him, so I was mightily impressed that he remembered me.
With a name like that even I could remember it. Difficult to pronounce without getting a sore throat though! :cool:

Having settled my bill at Hughes this morning, I took a brief wander round the showroom and found myself - not for the first time - sitting in an R172. I'm still in two minds about whether to upgrade, what with my now 8-year-old R171 starting to rack up extra bills outside of standard servicing.

As I sat there in my reverie, I sensed someone standing by the passenger door. "Hello Mr xxxxx", he said. The face looked familiar - by George, it was the chap who'd sold me my first SLK back in 2003, and who had sought in vain for a suitable replacement when I swapped it for my current one two years later (I ended up buying it elsewhere, but have been back to Hughes for servicing ever since).

It's been a good seven years plus since I last saw or spoke to him, so I was mightily impressed that he remembered me (I was struggling to recall his name myself). In the ensuing conversation, he revealed that the SLK 250CDi had been withdrawn from the UK market (he knew not why, but suspected it was related to technical issues). No hard-sell pressure tactics, just a very easy-going discussion about the merits of the new model and the joys of new car ownership in general. I left with a brochure and price list in hand and something else to consider alongside the renaissance of the Fabia.

We experienced a very similar situation to you MOCAS in February of this year when my wife decided that she wanted to change her 4-year-old VW Golf for a new VW Scirocco. We went back to the original dealer whom she had bought it from and as soon as we entered the showroom the very same salesman that sold her the car originally greeted us. Like you, he remembered us as Mr & Mrs D, which was a really nice warm welcome. He really couldn’t do enough for us, which just goes to show that when people do go to the lengths that they do, and make you feel so welcome, even remembering your name is a big plus point for me, you feel obliged somehow to go back and always give them the opportunity to have your custom/business.

Somehow, I often believed and used to think that you really are just another number to some sales people, and in many respects that may very well be true, however, I’m also a firm believer and always have been that if you are shown the courtesy and afforded the time and attention then you will return, as in this case. My wife did go on to buy a new VW Scirocco that day and I also have to say that the service with these particular VW dealers in general is of a similar very high standard. Nothing appears to be too much trouble for these people, even when she had previously taken her Golf in for service, she always commented on what really nice well mannered people they are.

Regards,

Dash1

So he sees you sat in the car. You are a touch familiar, he bobs to reception to see if they have your name.

Comes back and says Hello Mr xxxxx.

Ah its the "magic" touch that does it.

So he sees you sat in the car. You are a touch familiar, he bobs to reception to see if they have your name.

Not quite, TJ. I'd gone in to collect my car, but wasn't sitting in it - I was sitting in a new R172 in the showroom. And bear in mind he'd never seen my current SLK anyway, as I bought it elsewhere. He may have remembered the number plate as it's been transferred from my previous two MBs, but even so that's pretty impressive after seven years in my book.

In the ensuing conversation, he revealed that the SLK 250CDi had been withdrawn from the UK market (he knew not why, but suspected it was related to technical issues).

I see the 250CDI is still listed on the UK website, but let's hope it's gone, because diesel sports cars are an abomination. 4 cylinder diesels have their place, and it's underneath the bonnet of a practical family hatchback. Or possibly a van.

SLKs need some aural excitement with the roof down, so a silken V6 (or, preferably, a shouty V8 :)) is what's needed..

Cheers,

Gaz

I see the 250CDI is still listed on the UK website, but let's hope it's gone, because diesel sports cars are an abomination. 4 cylinder diesels have their place, and it's underneath the bonnet of a practical family hatchback. Or possibly a van.

SLKs need some aural excitement with the roof down, so a silken V6 (or, preferably, a shouty V8 :)) is what's needed..

Cheers,

Gaz

Car or van. Petrol or diesel. I can see no appeal in driving around in a "shouty" vehicle.

And the waiting list for 250CDI SLKs is currently 9 months :dk: and rather than lose a potential sale you steer the client towards a petrol model. Oh we are so cynical.:rolleyes:

I bet the salesmen recognised the monacle and bowler hat.

It was the trakkies and nicotine stained palm I reckon..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom