Naming convention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigrichw

Car
CLS 55
What are the boffins at AMG on!!?
Up to now the AMG range has made sense.. well almost...
55 (ok its a 5.4)
63 (ok its a 6.2)

But why keep the 63 badge for the 5.5biturbo and the 4.0V8, then there's the C43 with a 3.0..

It doesn't make any sense, but that said they never really have

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's just matcho talk making out it's bigger than it actually is.

I mean if you're out on a date a tell her you're only packing 2 inches, she probably won't be going home with you :thumb:

It's just matcho talk making out it's bigger than it actually is.

I mean if you're out on a date a tell her you're only packing 2 inches, she probably won't be going home with you :thumb:

Always better to go metric. 50mm sounds much bigger. :bannana:

Bigrichw said:
What are the boffins at AMG on!!? Up to now the AMG range has made sense.. well almost... 55 (ok its a 5.4) 63 (ok its a 6.2) But why keep the 63 badge for the 5.5biturbo and the 4.0V8, then there's the C43 with a 3.0.. It doesn't make any sense, but that said they never really have Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me

E54
C62
C30 (okay that doesn't sound too bad)
C55

None of them sound appealing

I think the original E55 and E63 were just rounded up cylinder capacities.

5439cc and 6208cc

They should have dropped E63 back to E55 the second they went back to a 5.5 IMO.

Quite a few don't line up so they are just a way of distinguishing really it seems.

I also don't get why BMW made the 2 door coupe the M4 and the 4 door saloon the M3.

:dk:

And where did the A45 name come from when the car is a 2.0 :dk: :D

Of course M-B have used some model numbers that didn't fit the engine size for years.

If they went from C63 for the new W205 I think it would confuse people, they wouldn't think it was the top model and would assume it was slower than the W204 C63.

And don't forget the awesome MP4 12C McLaren.....

Code:
Doesnt anyone know their MB History? :fail

63 is a historical name coming from the original 'red pig' AMG 6.3.

50-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gt.jpg

Last edited:
Things will be getting even more confusing soon...

A40 and A50 AMG?

It's simply brand recognition; Audi have had the RS4/6 for nearly twenty years and BMW have had the Mfrree/M5 for thirty odd years too but besides the C63 most car enthusiasts probably couldn't tell you the AMG models from the 1990's/2000's because Mercedes have changed the name so much.

It's certainly the idea behind the dying up of the model names i.e. GLA - GLC - GLE - GLS

And the fact it's all in English gets me. I asked a mate who was meeting people in the Bmw M division what they called the M5 in Germany?? Phonetically I though that they may say it in German, something like "ummmm funph"????

Nope "EmFive"...... boring!

Red C220 said:
There's already been a C30AMG. It was a diesel and we never got it in the UK.

See C30AMG rolls off the tongue, the rest sound like university room/location numbers

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 73 AMG. Wasn't it confined to the SL model?

There were SL70 and SL73 versions of the R129 SL, and they did have 7.0 and 7.3 litre engines respectively ;) :)

Or my first car the Fiat uno 1.0 Fire engine!!! No sirens, ladders or funny helmets, I was mightily disappointed!!!

What are the boffins at AMG on!!?
Up to now the AMG range has made sense.. well almost...
55 (ok its a 5.4)
63 (ok its a 6.2)

But why keep the 63 badge for the 5.5biturbo and the 4.0V8, then there's the C43 with a 3.0..

It doesn't make any sense, but that said they never really have

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As already suggested, 63 is simply a historical reference as the 6.3 litre Mercedes engine is remembered fondly, and was the basis for the AMG racing engine used in the "Red Pig" and other cars, albeit usually bored out to 6.8 litres.

When AMG produced the M156 6.2 litre engine it seemed like a good way of creating a link to the past, and provided all sorts of marketing opportunities. Since then 63 has been retained even with differing engine capacities in order to build the 63 sub-brand, and I think that's paid off.

I believe 45 is a a reference to the 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine being launched in AMG's 45th year. As good as any other logic I guess.

Here's the plain Engish guide to decoding current AMG sub-brands:

65 = Top of the shop, most powerful engine based upon published figures and in V12 configuration (at least for now)

63 = Most powerful "mainstream" engine, and known for being on the lairy side of powerful, and in V8 configuration (at least for now). Used for the AMG-specific chassis, ie SLS, GT

43 = Powerful "mainstream" engine, and known for being on the accessible side of powerful, helped by 4WD (at least for now)

45 = Powerful but "entry level" engine used in smaller chassis, and again for now with 4WD

Or my first car the Fiat uno 1.0 Fire engine!!! No sirens, ladders or funny helmets, I was mightily disappointed!!!

It stands for "Fully Integrated Robotised Engine" which couldn't sound less Italian if it tried! Perhaps because the designer's parents used up all the "Italianess" in the cupboard when they named him: Rodolfo Bonetto :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom