Nankang tyres- issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonygw

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI AMG Blue efficiency diesel
HI All

Has anybody got any thoughts on these tyres, As you can see the tread is effectively de-laminating from the carcass of the tyre. They are maybe 2 years old (from fitment date) still with 4mm tread. Made by Nankang AS-2 type. Both front tyres have done this. Both front tyres fitted at the same time, both were made in a batch around 6 months apart between end 2018 and early 2019. When I phoned Nankang UK to ask about the issue they were very relaxed and claimed it was purely cosmetic but were aware of certain batches doing this.
I would say this is pretty dangerous if they were to let go at speed. But what do you think. Obviously I have replaced them but do you think I should push Nankang on this issue? I am not after compensations or anything. But to me it seems like a safety issue?
The crack runs the entire width of the tyre and down both sides. My tyre fitter said he will keep them for 30 days if Nankang needed to inspect them.

1630416337791.png1630416394059.png

Personally I wouldn't consider using them in the first place.

You hit the nail on the head, its definitely a safety issue, when buying tyres I only ever use mainstream brands, I've never even heard of these!

They are your only contact between the road an you, don't skimp on tyres!

HI All

Has anybody got any thoughts on these tyres, As you can see the tread is effectively de-laminating from the carcass of the tyre. They are maybe 2 years old (from fitment date) still with 4mm tread. Made by Nankang AS-2 type. Both front tyres have done this. Both front tyres fitted at the same time, both were made in a batch around 6 months apart between end 2018 and early 2019. When I phoned Nankang UK to ask about the issue they were very relaxed and claimed it was purely cosmetic but were aware of certain batches doing this.
I would say this is pretty dangerous if they were to let go at speed. But what do you think. Obviously I have replaced them but do you think I should push Nankang on this issue? I am not after compensations or anything. But to me it seems like a safety issue?
The crack runs the entire width of the tyre and down both sides. My tyre fitter said he will keep them for 30 days if Nankang needed to inspect them.

View attachment 117777View attachment 117778
Hi , highly dangerous and you won't get any interest from any government department.

Just 2 mins search

Personally I wouldn't consider using them in the first place.

You hit the nail on the head, its definitely a safety issue, when buying tyres I only ever use mainstream brands, I've never even heard of these!

They are your only contact between the road an you, don't skimp on tyres!
Cheers for the reply, they are certainly not budget tyres! They have been around in some form since the 60's
BMW used to fit them as standard some years ago before moving brands. Home
I was recommended them by a few people. And they were not cheap.

I guess I am onto a losing battle with this issue then.. It scares me how they can be so relaxed about what I would consider a major quality issue.

Maybe the cracks are only cosmetic, no idea, but I wouldn't want these tyres on my car, that's for sure.

As for the importer/manufacturer... I think it's extremely unlikely that you'll get them to admit to you that there's a safety issue involved. They'll probably want the tyres back 'for inspection' (and to make sure that the only proof you're left with are photos....), and they'll say it's cosmetic but they are happy to offer you a goodwill replacement or refund. I've yet to see any corporation admit liability for a potential safety issue at the first instance... it just doesn't happen.

Just 2 mins search

wow there a lot of opinions out there on them, but I take it all with a pinch of salt. Continentals get bad reviews in many places as do many brands.
They are not a cheap brand. but this experience isn't a good one. I dont think I will use them again.

wow there a lot of opinions out there on them, but I take it all with a pinch of salt. Continentals get bad reviews in many places as do many brands.
They are not a cheap brand. but this experience isn't a good one. I dont think I will use them again.

True, though the telltale signs are other similar complaints about cracking along the entire tyre... that can't be a subjective issue.

Yes I think they are very dangerous,the problem in this country is there is no route for people to get a major company to accept that they have to do anything about this problem and others like it,you would think there should be a contactable agency that would progress problems like this.
We all know that in the US people who own Mercedes always get a better deal when there is a problem,we need a mechanism like they have to get ordinary people a result against the big companies.

Cheers for the reply, they are certainly not budget tyres! They have been around in some form since the 60's
BMW used to fit them as standard some years ago before moving brands. Home
I was recommended them by a few people. And they were not cheap.

I guess I am onto a losing battle with this issue then.. It scares me how they can be so relaxed about what I would consider a major quality issue.
Amazing I haven't come across them then, I'm no spring chicken and have been buying tyres since the mid seventies maybe its a regional thing??

I had nankangs on a 300 bhp Toyota celica gt4 in the 90's . Never had an issue . But I guess we didn't have as many pot holes them days. I'm in Gateshead, so definitely not regional.

Amazing I haven't come across them then, I'm no spring chicken and have been buying tyres since the mid seventies maybe its a regional thing??

They're quite common, actually... seen lots of these Nankang tyres, basically they're ine of the budget options for those not wanting to spend much on tyres

They're quite common, actually... seen lots of these Nankang tyres, basically they're ine of the budget options for those not wanting to spend much on tyres
That’ll be MB dealerships then. I’ve seen new ones fitted to approved, used cars on the forecourt. I found it quite disappointing that they didn’t fit a premium brand. Having said that, VW are fitting Kumho as standard from new.

Last edited:
I had nankangs on a 300 bhp Toyota celica gt4 in the 90's . Never had an issue . But I guess we didn't have as many pot holes them days. I'm in Gateshead, so definitely not regional.
Maybe I've just been fussy about the tyres I used, I always used Pirelli even when I was a skint kid running my Opel Manta Berlinetta SR. :)

£120 each for my e350 , but then again , it's grim up north.

They're not called 'Ditch-finders' for nothing....wouldn't touch them with someone elses barge pole, let alone my own :D

I had Nankang fitted to a previous E280 and they didn't last very long.
Definitely a budget brand and far better budget brands around than Nankang IMO.
I wouldn't fit them to anything with a bit of performance.

I know my experience in this instance hasn't been a good one. But wow!!!

Everybody seems extra negative about this brand without actually trying them out..... And the word Budget is used a lot, what does that actually mean?? what basis does a tyre become a "budget" tyre?

If the tyre costs similar to what people deem as "premium" brand tyre.. is it still a budget tyre? And what makes a premium brand tyre a premium? price alone??

After all people could class Mercedes as a "premium" brand yet mercedes have resorted to using Renault engines in some vehicles.. Premium brand with a budget engine?? is that right???

Reading the title of the thread alone, thought was what kang. Wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. But I would write to the manufacturer as thats just very poor quality product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom