Nankang Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And here we go again with F1 issue and Pirellis and tyre degradation with down-force used....

Did you see this on Sniff Petrol :D

SPADPirellityres.jpg

Personally I would stick with the names I trust, Pirelli, Mich, Bridge...

At the end of the day there the only thing holding you to the road and saving a few £££ in the short term could cost you more than you saved if there not up to the job when you really need them to be.

And id be always thinking would this have happened if I had different tyres, if the worst did happen ???? :(

Only my opinion though :)

Hi just butting in here,but i am looking for a new set of wheels and tyres to put on my c350,and every one are offering nankang ns2s, after googling them they do come up fairly good for the money,so i went to look at a set and they come with an awsome rim protector and very nice tread pattern along with a silent road running very tempted.

Just out of interest what alloys were you looking at with the Nankang's?

I've owned my gl 350 x166 for nearly 2.5 years now. In that time it's covered 10k miles and gone through two set of conti tyres @ £250 per corner. I know these beasts are heavy but is that normal for a set of tyres to last 4 to 5 thousand miles?

It has no issues with suspension etc.. to cause accelerated tyre wear.

I have nankang tyres fitted to my civic type r and they are great. Handle really well. I'm thinking of getting nankangs for the GL

70:30 local:motorway

Ifzal This thread is 9 years old . I am sure Nankang tyres have evolved to be even better in that time. Your tyre wear does sound a bit excessive. A GL owner might pop up soon and tell of their tyre choice.

Or start a tyre thread specifically asking about tyres for a GL . Be warned , tyre threads tend to go on a long time and at the end of it all you are often non the wiser when it comes to choosing the correct tyre for your needs. Best of luck 👍

I've owned my gl 350 x166 for nearly 2.5 years now. In that time it's covered 10k miles and gone through two set of conti tyres @ £250 per corner. I know these beasts are heavy but is that normal for a set of tyres to last 4 to 5 thousand miles?

I have nankang tyres fitted to my civic type r and they are great. Handle really well. I'm thinking of getting nankangs for the GL

Hi Ifzal,

I’ve got a X166 also (GL63) which I’ve owned for a similar time/covered similar distance to yourself in. It had relatively decent MO Pirelli tyres on when I bought it (6mm+ all round) which I swapped last year but only due to deterioration rather than being worn.

I priced up MO Pirellis which were available from around £600-700ish a set from memory, but in the end decided to try the Michelin PS4 SUV instead which were a little extra (c. £1000 IIRC) but managed to get them on a promotion which brought them down to around £800-900 for the set.

I would perhaps suggest trying another quality tyre brand such as the Pirelli or Michelin that I have - no complaints with either, but I’m hoping that the Michelins might wear a little better.

To go through a full set of tyres in 4-5k miles is not normal. Mine has probably done more than that on the Michelins and they still look like new, I suspect they’re still on 5-6mm (can check if you’re really keen :)), but wouldn’t hesitate to recommend these :thumb:

Thanks for the reply . I'll give Michelin a go this time round. Hopefully they will fare alot better than the conti's

My previous vehicle an xc90 returned around 12k miles on a set of pirelli's

I've put the current wear down to the weight of the GL

My experience of Nankang tyres is though my son who used them on his BMW 3 series coupe. His opinion was they were adequate for his needs but are less durable than premium tyres.

Are the tyres wearing event across the full width of the tread, and which tyre manufacturers have you tried so far?

The ML is fundamentally the same car and I’ve managed up to 25,000 miles (which to be fair isn’t normal either).

You should comfortably get more than 10,000 miles from a set if the geometry is all within specification.

How are your pedal rubbers?...

are you sure you are having correct load rated tyres.

Dont skimp on tyres

It’s a far question but I’d be surprised if Continental made tyres in this size with the incorrect load rating (X166 tyre sizes are quite niche)

Ifzal - what tyre pressures have you been running out of interest?

Some people buy tyres based only on size and see a cheaper tyre (due to load rating) and think nothing of it.

Tyre manufacturers dont know the weight of the car the tyres are going on so a bit of owner aptitude is needed..

Thanks for the reply . I'll give Michelin a go this time round. Hopefully they will fare alot better than the conti's

My previous vehicle an xc90 returned around 12k miles on a set of pirelli's

I've put the current wear down to the weight of the GL
Get the wheels aligned by a reputable company and ensure the tyres match the pressure shown on the inside of your fuel cap..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom