NAS back-up woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Bought a Buffalo Linkstation NAS a few weeks ago.
Attached to network & software installed on main pc.
Due to struggling with windows back-up scheduling, used the system within the Buffalo software and it seems to work - each day it kicks into life, chugs away & reports back-up complete.
Have looked at the folder on the Buffalo hard disc and there are copies there of my folders.

Had an hour to spare today so decided to sort the laptop.
Installed the Buffalo software on the laptop and then tried to schedule an automatic daily backup.

Using the Buffalo software under - system/backup/backup jobs setup/create new job - I can schedule a day/time but when it comes to selecting source & destination folders, it can find the folder I have created on the Buffalo as the destination, but for the source folders, it then finds all the folders on my desktop pc - not the folders on the laptop that I want to back up.:wallbash:

Several restarts later, messing with firewall settings, still no joy so I tried using "windows back-up" on the laptop. First stage - select a destination - it only lists the cd drive on the laptop - no choice to select the Buffalo:wallbash:

3 hours later, I'm still stuck. Any ideas?

The NAS just looks like a networked drive, so I'd suspect the laptop is missing some configuration item? Can you map it as a network drive?

Windows XP on desktop pc, windows 7 on laptop.

Map laptop as network drive? I'm out of my depth here!

Part of reason for NAS was previously failed hard disc. Since new hard disc fitted, I've realised that laptop no longer sends documents to printer. Have been messing around re-installing printer via desktop pc as a network printer & it is throwing up firewall problems.

Tried disabling windows firewall - no effect. Printer manual suggests if using non windows firewall to add UDP ports. Tried adding these to windows firewall & windows advised that the ports already existed.

Router has a built in fire wall but I've never played with settings there - wouldn't even know if there are any to play with (Netgear D834G)

Could these firewall issues be affecting the NAS/laptop set up? Had been trying to set the laptop back up via wireless.

Last edited:
Solved - aside from firewall issues, needed 3rd party backup software (cobian)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom