Nasty indicator stalk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keiron99

Car
E220 W211 Exec SE
I've only had my W211 a few weeks and i am generally very impressed by the quality, feel, fit and finish of everything.

One thing that really lets the side down is the indicator stalk. It's very unsatisfying to move up and down, and it springs back like a shotgun, causing the whole steering column to rattle!

Is this just a "feature" of the car or is there anything I can do about it? It just seems so cheap and nasty.

Interesting you say that Keiron, I have a C209 CLK and the indicator stalk sounds exactly the same. There seems like half a mile between left and right indication, and it kinda snaps back into centre like a rule being twanged off the end of a desk, if you know what I mean.

I recently moved from a 5-series where the indicator stalk was slick and sturdy. I think it's probably just a feature, but it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. Interested to hear the thoughts of others.

I've only had my W211 a few weeks and i am generally very impressed by the quality, feel, fit and finish of everything.

One thing that really lets the side down is the indicator stalk. It's very unsatisfying to move up and down, and it springs back like a shotgun, causing the whole steering column to rattle!

Is this just a "feature" of the car or is there anything I can do about it? It just seems so cheap and nasty.

It was rough on my W202 from the day it left the factory in 1997. About 5 years ago it failed, and I had it replaced. The new one is better than new, especially in this case! Super smooth.

The other thing I don't like about it is that since it incorporates the wiper controls, and I leave them on auto all the time, my fingers do not rest in the indentations, but on the edge (if this is making sense).

I also find it is placed too low down at about 8 o'clock - who keeps their hands in that position?

I know it's only a detail but hey, it's the details that matter!

It was rough on my W202 from the day it left the factory in 1997. About 5 years ago it failed, and I had it replaced. The new one is better than new, especially in this case! Super smooth.

Is it whats the new part number if you happen to have ?

Also yours being a revised stalk do you get the one touch indicators function ?

The other thing I don't like about it is that since it incorporates the wiper controls, and I leave them on auto all the time, my fingers do not rest in the indentations, but on the edge (if this is making sense).

I also find it is placed too low down at about 8 o'clock - who keeps their hands in that position?

I know it's only a detail but hey, it's the details that matter!

Did you drive a BMW before?

I used to find it about the right place, especially compared to BMW where with a poorly shoulder I really struggled to reach the bloody thing for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom