Nasty Smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D12DTM

Car
CLK 350 AMG
Hi, Happy New Year to all, now running out of ideas, 2007 CLK 350 amg convertible, a nasty smell in the cabin at running temperature, This problem has been ongoing for 12 months. Aircon serviced and overhauled, £480.00 engine strip down and rebuild looking for any oil leaks, None found all gaskets replaced, cooling system flushed, the last thing was to replace the pollen filter, I hope someone might know what I have missed.

Damp or mould under the carpets? Blocked a/c drain? Deformed steering column gasket allowing engine/exhaust smells through bulkhead?

Hi thanks for your fast reply, no mould under the carpets, a/c has been fully overhauled, I will check the steering column gasket but the stink is when the engine is at running temp heater or aircon is switched on.

Still sounds like you have mould in the heater/AC matrices (bad egg smell) - cannot hurt to run an antibac bomb in the car with it on re-circulate

Kipper on top of the exhaust pipe!

Thanks, not bad egg smell, anti-bac bomb used on complete aircon overhaul.

My E280 Estate is similar age (year 2009).
In November, I was experiencing an unpleasant smell - Just as described by the OP ...
... Running temperature / air-con on.
I bombed the aircon / ventilation system using a TRIPLE QX Air Con Sanitizer aerosol - Quite cheap from Euro Car Parts.
The smell of that was pretty bad for quite some time, and has only just died away.
I'm not sure what smelled worse - The air-con smell or the bomb.
I've has the car about 8 years and never had to do this previously.
I suspect the problem arose when the car was used very little due to lock-downs in the UK.
I keep the air con switched on all the time and regulate the cabin temperature using the two temperature controls.
Is the OP sure that the smell isn't just the hang-over from the bomb ?

First thing to change would be the cabin filters, some cars have two a pre filter and a carbon filter, Its the first thing that traps anything related to air comeng into the cabin and it could be full of mouldy leaves, get genuine one(s), When you have the old one out run the internal fan for a second and you will be surprised how much crap gets blown out.

What is the smell like.

Thank you all for your replies, as mentioned aircon and filters changed and serviced. The smell is more like burning rubber/oil that's why I had the engine stripped down to check, changed the belt 2 weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom