National Campaign to Reduce War Memorial Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godot

Advocatus Diaboli in a Rest Home for the Terminall
Car
A180 CDI Elegance Auto 3 Door Panoramic Sun Roof, Bi Xenons
This a copy of an email sent to me this morning, via an "Old Comrades" contact, to draw my attention to this campaign, so with, hopefully a Moderator's permission, I'd would like to draw it to your attention.:thumb:

Any little Hamlet or Village or even Wayside Memorials that you know of, even those of former enemies ?

A national project to identify, record and protect Britain's estimated 100,000 war memorials has been launched to coincide with the upcoming centenary of the First World War in 2014.

The nation’s valued war memorials are under increasing threat from thieves and vandals attempting to steal metal from monuments. Despite the metal having relatively little monetary value it is estimated that on average one war memorial a week is being targeted by thieves looking to illegally remove bronze, copper or other metals to sell on for scrap.

In Memoriam 2014 (In Memoriam 2014) is a partnership between War Memorials Trust and the SmartWater Foundation. The project is seeking to offer greater protection to war memorials across the UK. It aims to prevent anymore communities witnessing the desecration of their memorials.

Thousands of caring custodians already spend considerable effort on maintaining monuments through the country and In Memoriam 2014 will be calling on those volunteers to unite under its banner, as well as pushing for even more willing hands to join the effort to protect those memorials which risk being forgotten.

Among the organisations offering crucial support to the project are the UK's tri-service cadet forces, which will involve members in the huge task of locating and recording memorials, many of which may be small and hard to find, due to development in the years since they were placed.

To combat the threat of theft each monument will be forensically marked with SmartWater, assigning them with a state of the art forensic signature that can only be seen under UV light. Once applied SmartWater is virtually impossible to remove and can withstand burning, sand blasting and long term exposure to UV.

War Memorials Trust’s Director, Frances Moreton, said: “In Memoriam 2014 is a very special project to protect war memorials in communities across the UK. War Memorials Trust seeks to both protect and conserve this unique part of our national heritage and it is delighted to be involved. The Trust encourages everyone to take an active interest and ensure the custodians of your local war memorials are taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity to protect war memorials free of charge.”

Sir Keith Povey QPM, Chairman of the SmartWater Foundation, said: “As the centenary of the First World War approaches, In Memoriam 2014 encourages communities to reconnect with their local war memorials and remember the sacrifice that so many people made for their country. The SmartWater Foundation is pleased to be partnering with War Memorials Trust in this project and I hope that the community will embrace it by taking an interest in locating and preserving these symbols of our commemoration.”

Anyone wishing to take part in this project or register a war memorial can visit In Memoriam 2014 for more information.

For more information, please contact Mark Waugh, Be Bold Public Relations, on 01952 898121, email [email protected] or visit In Memoriam 2014

This a copy of an email sent to me this morning, via an "Old Comrades" contact, to draw my attention to this campaign, so with, hopefully a Moderator's permission, I'd would like to draw it to your attention.:thumb:

Any little Hamlet or Village or even Wayside Memorials that you know of, even those of former enemies ?

A national project to identify, record and protect Britain's estimated 100,000 war memorials has been launched to coincide with the upcoming centenary of the First World War in 2014.

The nation’s valued war memorials are under increasing threat from thieves and vandals attempting to steal metal from monuments. Despite the metal having relatively little monetary value it is estimated that on average one war memorial a week is being targeted by thieves looking to illegally remove bronze, copper or other metals to sell on for scrap.

In Memoriam 2014 (In Memoriam 2014) is a partnership between War Memorials Trust and the SmartWater Foundation. The project is seeking to offer greater protection to war memorials across the UK. It aims to prevent anymore communities witnessing the desecration of their memorials.

Thousands of caring custodians already spend considerable effort on maintaining monuments through the country and In Memoriam 2014 will be calling on those volunteers to unite under its banner, as well as pushing for even more willing hands to join the effort to protect those memorials which risk being forgotten.

Among the organisations offering crucial support to the project are the UK's tri-service cadet forces, which will involve members in the huge task of locating and recording memorials, many of which may be small and hard to find, due to development in the years since they were placed.

To combat the threat of theft each monument will be forensically marked with SmartWater, assigning them with a state of the art forensic signature that can only be seen under UV light. Once applied SmartWater is virtually impossible to remove and can withstand burning, sand blasting and long term exposure to UV.

War Memorials Trust’s Director, Frances Moreton, said: “In Memoriam 2014 is a very special project to protect war memorials in communities across the UK. War Memorials Trust seeks to both protect and conserve this unique part of our national heritage and it is delighted to be involved. The Trust encourages everyone to take an active interest and ensure the custodians of your local war memorials are taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity to protect war memorials free of charge.”

Sir Keith Povey QPM, Chairman of the SmartWater Foundation, said: “As the centenary of the First World War approaches, In Memoriam 2014 encourages communities to reconnect with their local war memorials and remember the sacrifice that so many people made for their country. The SmartWater Foundation is pleased to be partnering with War Memorials Trust in this project and I hope that the community will embrace it by taking an interest in locating and preserving these symbols of our commemoration.”

Anyone wishing to take part in this project or register a war memorial can visit In Memoriam 2014 for more information.

For more information, please contact Mark Waugh, Be Bold Public Relations, on 01952 898121, email [email protected] or visit In Memoriam 2014

Good idea. Shame they use the word 'upcoming' though. I thought it was British war memorials not American ones.

"To combat the threat of theft each monument will be forensically marked with SmartWater, assigning them with a state of the art forensic signature that can only be seen under UV light. Once applied SmartWater is virtually impossible to remove and can withstand burning, sand blasting and long term exposure to UV."

What about being put in a furnace and melted into bars?

I say only place plastic bronze appearance plaques in public places and keep the bronze originals in a safe location.

A very sad indictment of the days we live in.

[To combat the threat of theft each monument will be forensically marked with SmartWater, assigning them with a state of the art forensic signature that can only be seen under UV light. Once applied SmartWater is virtually impossible to remove and can withstand burning, sand blasting and long term exposure to UV.

The issue is that scrapyards are in collusion with the pikeys.

This is why a pikey in a Transit pickup loaded up with copper cable or man hole covers can just weigh it all in for cash with no questions asked.

Questions like why have you got all these man hole covers when you're not from the council, or why have you got all this cable when you're not from Railtrack.

Smartwater won't make any change given everyone is at it.

How about a Statutory Life sentance for anyone found desecrating war memorials. After all the people to whom the memorials are dedicated to have given their lives.

How about a Statutory Life sentance for anyone found desecrating war memorials. After all the people to whom the memorials are dedicated to have given their lives.

No no I have a much better idea. Since they are interested in metals I would sentence them to a tour of duty in Afghanistan where they would be allowed to sell on any IED's they find. They are bound to find some as to give them a sporting chance they would have to be the guys "on point" on any patrols.:rolleyes: I believe that after a few months of this they would lose all interest in metals and develop a new hobby such as basket weaving.

Last edited:
There should be special punishment in law for defacing war memorials in any way and for any purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom