National MBClub Event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
closely followed by the three Ts

Tell people when it is
Tell people where it is
Tell people what's happening

In my limited experience of organising club events etc, as soon as you swap the Ts for A's (as in ask people) the problems start :)

closely followed by the three Ts

Tell people when it is
Tell people where it is
Tell people what's happening

In my limited experience of organising club events etc, as soon as you swap the Ts for A's (as in ask people) the problems start :)

I would agree for established events but as this would be the first of its kind, then I think you have no other option than to Poll the membership on the type of event they want as if you organise something nobody wants then you get the inevitable result, No one turns up!

The first 2 could be given's but the 3rd has to be asked to determine what the membership want.

I'm sure I could volunteer Mrs E's services as well - the day job is negotiating with hotels, venues, etc, so on problem for her.

I know she's also looked at organised road trips as well, so she could be up for it (for a spin in a suitable AMG I guess)... let me know and I'll sweet-talk her into it.

I would agree for established events but as this would be the first of its kind, then I think you have no other option than to Poll the membership on the type of event they want as if you organise something nobody wants then you get the inevitable result, No one turns up!

The first 2 could be given's but the 3rd has to be asked to determine what the membership want.

So the best approach os probably to give a choice of three venues / events and see which one seems the most popular - bridges the gap between "tell" and "ask".

^ Mr E makes a good point.

Maybe shortlist any suggestions posted by COB today, get prices for them all, and then start a vote?

So the best approach os probably to give a choice of three venues / events and see which one seems the most popular - bridges the gap between "tell" and "ask".

I think thats a great Idea, just need the choice of venues I guess?

OK, let's start a list of suggestions: copy/paste and add further suggestions along with web address to make it easier for organisers:

0. Suggested by - Venue name, Location - Web address
1. Bobby Dazzler - Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon - Heritage Motor Centre

I asked Mrs D what it would take for her to want to come.

BD: Would you go if it was a dinner in a posh hotel?
Mrs D: Yes.
BD: Would you go if it was standing a pub car park in Guildford?
Mrs D: No.
BD: What would need to be there to make you want to go?
Mrs D: Market stalls.
Mrs D: Free gifts.
Mrs D: Champagne and strawberries.
Mrs D: Pimms.
BD: You don't drink though. It makes your eye lids sweat.
Mrs D: Sounds nice though.

Not sure she really understands :rolleyes: but I think there may be some merit in what she said.

So bringing all of her comments together, and maybe taking inspiration from a little do Lord March has every year, maybe we could do a garden party theme?

Opportunity to wear nice clothes in the garden of a nice hotel, which is a nice thing to do on a nice day in a nice car, like a nice Mercedes.

I wouldn't mind a slice of that:

sexy-goodwood.jpg

I think adding a 'dinner at a posh hotel' will put off a lot of people and it's something that could be arranged by people attending as something to do once the GTG has finished.

Not everybody is up for an overnighter as previous GTGs at Johns and The Bridgewood Manor have proved.

Any GTG has a fair number of day trippers.

It's also worth thinking that some are caravanners so a camp site nearby would be a good idea

If we go for anything other than a 'car park meeting' there are going to be costs involved - these need to be looked into before we choose a venue.

Is it going to be exclusively for MB club members? If so, I think that places like Gaydon and Silverstone are less than perfect - our club day would probably get swallowed up by any other events that are arranged for the same day

I think adding a 'dinner at a posh hotel' will put off a lot of people and it's something that could be arranged by people attending as something to do once the GTG has finished.

Not everybody is up for an overnighter as previous GTGs at Johns and The Bridgewood Manor have proved.

Any GTG has a fair number of day trippers.

I absolutely agree, and hence the garden party suggestion - some of the excitement for those note excited by cars, without the need for an overnight, and a fair bit less cost.

I don't know, but I reckon the people that will come would be prepared to pay a small amount to make it a little more than standing in a car park. What would be reasonable though? I think £10-£15 per adult and £0-£5 would be about right if it's more than just a best endeavours BBQ.

Maybe he meant Guile ford :D You could come a little further North to Bali, oops sorry meant Barnsley :D

Ah, why not! I already come to Barnsley twice a year for a conference for the Barnsley Chronicle Military Publishing division! I know the way to get there, no problems :thumb:

Maybe you could get the meet the day after the conference so I could attend on one of my 6 monthly trips :D

Neatening up the list:

0. Suggested by - Venue name, Location - Web address
1. Bobby Dazzler - Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon - Heritage Motor Centre
2. The Boss - Four Pillars Hotel, Cotswolds - Cotswolds Hotels - Cotswold Water Park Four Pillars Hotel - Cotswolds conference venue - Short breaks - Self catering holidays - Spa hotels
3. Flanaia1 - Scalford Hall Hotel, Melton Mowbray, HERE[/QUOTE]
4. andy k - Stanford Hall, Lecestershire Stanford Hall, Lutterworth, Leicestershire
5. Beaulieu/New Forest - nicer than some grim northern town, plenty to do, camping/hotels etc.

and noted

a, for it's 'central' location

b, being particularly quiet during the summer months

Well done Nick :)

There's a reason people flock to the New Forest and spurn Lutterworth:)

Why have a GTG somewhere a bit pony when you could have it somewhere nice?

Make it in the Midlands or the Manchester height so the Scots lads can have an option.

Too far south means we car share with ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom