National Transplant Week 8-14 July 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
About five years ago my father was diagnosed with renal failure. He was told that he would need a Kidney transplant within the next five years and that if he didn't have one he would almost certainly have to go on dialysis.
Needless to say my father and indeed the whole family were devastated.

After the dust had settled and the reality had sunk in we started to look at what options were available.
From the outset it was clear that a transplant from a living or deceased donor was his best chance.

For me it was a no brainer, this was my father after all, without whom I wouldn't be were I am today. I immediately put myself foward to be tested to see if I would be a good match and after several months and trips to the Sussex Kidney Unit at Brighton Hospital we were told that I was a very good match.

Fast forward two years and my fathers health had started to deteriorate. It was decided that the transplant should go ahead within a few months and on the 19th December 2012 we went into St Georges Hospital in Tooting and the transplant was carried out.

Seven months on and my father is doing really well, he's even back playing Golf which he hadn't been able to do for about 4 years or so.

My father was fortunate that he didn't have to wait on the transplant register for a donor but there are many people out there who are waiting and have been for many years.

It's not until something like this happens to you or a family member that you realise the importance of being registered as a donor so I wanted to share my experience with you all to highlight this great cause and to encourage anyone who isn't already registered to do something amazing.

Leigh.

http://www.transplantweek.co.uk/

Been on dialysis 17yrs myself. You dads lucky he was able to avoid it. Hope his transplant is working well.

Wales has just changed their organ donation register to opt-out instead of opt-in. I think this should be done in England too, it would greatly increase the amount of organs available and the amount of lives saved.

Last edited:
My father also had a kidney transplant and up to his death 6 years ago (which was not Kidney related) he was one of the longest surviving transplant patients in the UK >25 years. His kidney came from a young lad who had died in a road accident.

During my teenage years my father dialysed at home in the back bedroom 3 days a week, injecting himself with local anesthetic and then putting the needles in to carry the blood on its way to the machine, I can remember it as though it were yesterday. He was a much braver man than I will ever be and I would not be where I am today without him and my mothers encouragement and support, when I think back to what he was going through and the support he gave me I really wonder how he did it.

After his transplant he went back to his job several years after leaving (employers cared in those days) he then took early retirement to be with my mum and do a bit of travelling to see the world. Unfortunately a few monhs after his retirement my mum died which obviously knocked him back a bit, but once he had found his feet he went travelling the world from North America to New Zeland and lived life to the full so I can imagine how EDZ649 dad feels to be able to play golf again.

The gift of life is one of the most precious gifts you can ever give and I am humbled by EDZ649 actions and those like him who have given to save others, it's these people that deserve the honours and knighthoods, not pretentious sportspeople, filmstars and hanger on ers.

I too am only sharing my experiences in the hope that people will support the cause and its time the law was changed to opt out instead of opt in and good on wales for taking the initiative, lets hope the rest of the UK follow soon.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the longest is but a few years ago in one of the magazines renal patients get there was an article about a women whose transplant was still working after 42 years!

I am not sure what the longest is but a few years ago in one of the magazines renal patients get there was an article about a women whose transplant was still working after 42 years!

Wow that's amazing and just shows what a life giver a transplant can be, sorry to hear you have been tied to dialysis for 17 years

Last edited:
Been on dialysis 17yrs myself. You dads lucky he was able to avoid it. Hope his transplant is working well.

Wales has just changed their organ donation register to opt-out instead of opt-in. I think this should be done in England too, it would greatly increase the amount of organs available and the amount of lives saved.

Yes thank you, working very well. He had a few side effects from the cocktail of drugs he had to take post op but they seem to have subsided now and he's settled in to a fairly normal routine. He only has to go to clinic every six weeks now.

Sorry to hear you have been on dialysis for so long, I can't begin to imagine what that must be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom