Naughty CANbus odometer "interface". (Fakes mileage.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting. I bet our Chinese 'friends' knock these out for £10 and they probably take only a few minutes to install. Can't the CANBUS data not be encrypted, I wonder?

Been about for years these pal, a lot of rep cars (in)famously use them - my friend once worked for a large window manufacturer in site sales and *all* their vehicles had these mileage blockers.

So does it just prevent the dash clocking up mileage,
or does it stop the ECU and TCU seeing the milage also?

Ok, listening to a lot of that he believes that when you remove the device the mileage shoots back up to actual. So ECU records actual and deducts weat sounds like 25k. If that's true the device must be left in at sale and can be found later, so hopefully the scammer can be caught out.

Last edited:
Sounds like the ECU still has the correct mileage, it's just that the dash odometer is misled by this device into displaying the incorrect reading. So STAR or a good code reader like the icarsoft would reveal the true mileage

Reactions: m80
I've been looking for the next Viano and it's obvious that many are clocked ex taxis. So understanding the methods is of value.

It isn't unusual to see 100k knocked off, that assumes around an actual usage of 40k pa for a taxi driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom