Nav DVD (again...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pen-ultimate

Car
CL 500
This forum is wonderful. Seriously.

Last week my Nav system was getting slower and slower to get going. It would hang after selecting a destination, or take ages to calculate the route.

Then I got random messages saying that I had the "wrong Nav DVD version installed".

Yesterday it packed up all together.

"... no disk installed...":mad:

Well, err hmm, :eek: I've been using a dodgey dvd bought off ebay for not a lot.

No problem, I'll put the old one back in and do without TMC. That didn't work either. Oh no, a new nav unit?

So I trawled through the forum and came up with the answers:

a) Dodgey disk are just that - dodgey. Thanks to all who contributed to that thread.

b) Its a computer! Reboot it! Pull the fuse and hey presto it works. Thanks Malcolm.

c) I've got so reliant on TMC I'll have to get the proper disk - any chance of a discount Alfie?

Thanks to all.

Nick

Having been round this loop myself..

I never use original CD's or DVD's in the car - too much risk of damage, especially on the C-class where you have a single slot and have to swap disks all the time.

The dodgy DVD's are worth avoiding, but the data on yours may be Correct (It worked at first right?) The hot environment in car audio equipment can cause problems

Make sure the Disk is clean (water, bit of washing up liquid, dab with a clean paper towel, leave to dry)

Use your PC to make a copy on a Top Quality blank DVD+R disk. Don't put a label on it (these cause real problems when they get warm)

May get you out of trouble for the moment.

Then buy a real one when the next update comes out. - The Teleatlas website indicates that they have added quite a lot of new areas (especially Jersey, the absense of which which I found really annoying before) so I don't think its the best time to buy a new disk just yet... An update should be available soon.

£114 for a disc or a complete sat nav system for the same money . Sorry but £114 for a disc that will be out of date in 12 months is just to dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom