Nav update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cymruambyth

Car
Just been sent a link from the Comand guys for the sat nav update....£156.....is that the going rate then...seems excessive, might as well carry on using my TomTom :D

Just been sent a link from the Comand guys for the sat nav update....£156.....is that the going rate then...seems excessive, might as well carry on using my TomTom :D

Its a bit cheaper withn the forum discount ;)

Its a bit cheaper withn the forum discount ;)

Needs to be a lot bloody cheaper haha. What`s the difference? Just map updates? My mate has a newish A class and his system is bloody awesome. Mine just has....a map....no ETA or distance to destination, no lane departure, nothing.

Always the ebay/amazon/nav website alternatives for 1/8th of that

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Always the ebay/amazon/nav website alternatives for 1/8th of that

And you'll probably be buying a counterfeit disc that could brick your Comand system. Unless you can be certain its OEM, I wouldn't buy from nav alternatives.
Ask yourself, how they can sell a kosher disc for £29 99?:doh:

Amgeed how can they sell a sat nav update for £159?

It also contains updates to the software. - I balked at the price for a while, but then my wife asked if I would have paid an extra £100 to have the most recent sat nav disc when I bought the car.

I probably would have, so I got a genuine Mercedes disc and haven't looked back.

Amgeed how can they sell a sat nav update for £159?

I agree, its a lot of money for an up to date mapping disc. I don't set the price though and its a case of you pay your money and make your choice.

Dependant on which version the OP has, if he baulks at paying £159 for V17.0, there are genuine discs with an older version around for probably £50 -£75 each.
A request for a later disc here may pay dividends:dk:

Yes I agree I'd always rather have genuine discs. If it was £100 I think they'd maybe get more takers (me for Instance) it just seems a bit excessive given that the latest for my car is already over a year out of date with regards to new roads etc

2007 C250 - is that NTG4 like my 2008 C220? If so, genuine update second hand DVD's from Ebay etc are useable - I've updated the NTG4 nav on my July (first registered) C220 NTG4 for considerably less than £156 - plus after installing the update you can re-sell the DVD's!

This is the advantage of NTG4 on early W/S204's compared to later ones - you do not need a PIN from MB, and the DVD's are re-useable!! Downside of the very early onesis that the HDD nav partition may be too small for anything after 2014-15 V12 - although comand.co.uk may have a cure for that (at a price!).

How can I tell which version nav I have? I have a PCMCIA slot I think. Its certainly bigger than a sd card slot. So what Nav update would I need?

Easy way - contact comand.co.uk with your VIN, they will tell you exactly what's fitted to your car, how to find out what map version is installed and what you need to update the system.

Comand said £199 to update the maps and another £99 to update the firmware or £150 firmware update only.

Is there discs that i can buy to update the firmware myself?
I hardly use the maps as i use Waze!

This is the link I was sent

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/comand-aps-map-dvd-w204-c-glk-sls.html

Just noticed this from the above item...

"WARNING. This is not for cars built before October 2008, as those COMAND units have too small hard disks. Please ensure that this is the correct map for your car as opened map software can not be returned. If you are unsure please contact us with your vehicle VIN number".

Mine`s 2007....awesome :/

Last edited:
This is the link I was sent

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/comand-aps-map-dvd-w204-c-glk-sls.html

Just noticed this from the above item...

"WARNING. This is not for cars built before October 2008, as those COMAND units have too small hard disks. Please ensure that this is the correct map for your car as opened map software can not be returned. If you are unsure please contact us with your vehicle VIN number".

Mine`s 2007....awesome :/

Always ring before ordering with your Vin# to ensure you get the correct disc. 2007 was the changeover year for Comand system discs.

01276 451579

I think I`ll just stick with my TomTom....it`s more detailed.

OK, you have the same problem as me - an early NTG4 with the small HDD nav partition, so V12 2014-15 is the latest you can install. However, if you talk to Richard/Alfie at Comand.co.uk, you may get a surprise as they are confident they have a solution to the partition problem - at a price!!

I can not warrant the up date disc as my system is old and the most up to date maps is still a few years behind what Tomtom and others offer.
I would of thought the price of a out of date disc (not 2017) but newer than my current version would of been heavy discounted. No luck:wallbash:

I would of thought the price of a out of date disc (not 2017) but newer than my current version would of been heavy discounted. No luck:wallbash:

Couldn't agree more, why should you be charged a premium for out-of-date information??

I think this is why the likes of Google maps and Apple CarPlay will eventually be integrated into most manufacturers OEM equipment.

The Mercedes sat nav is one of the better systems out there but still needs the maps to be updated!

I'm sure there will soon be a company (perhaps Comand online?) who will be able to hack into your OEM head unit and retrofit Google maps and Apple CarPlay Apps within the system to save you buying a new head unit. Does anyone know of any such company that exists now??

Couldn't agree more, why should you be charged a premium for out-of-date information??

I think this is why the likes of Google maps and Apple CarPlay will eventually be integrated into most manufacturers OEM equipment.

The Mercedes sat nav is one of the better systems out there but still needs the maps to be updated!

I'm sure there will soon be a company (perhaps Comand online?) who will be able to hack into your OEM head unit and retrofit Google maps and Apple CarPlay Apps within the system to save you buying a new head unit. Does anyone know of any such company that exists now??

I hope they will too. I use Waze which has speed camera notifications and traffic too. I know Comand has traffic but its nowhere as good as Google maps or Waze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom