Navigation 20 W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tipps

Car
E Class W212 Estate
In December of 2010 I visited my local dealer to exchange my current E Class for a new W212 with Command. As there were none available at the time I was talked into purchasing a model and having Navigation 20 post fitted which was to have TMC and Audio Streaming. After 5 visits a partial system was installed with no Audio Streaming and a non functioning TMC. After lots of complaining to both dealership and Customer Services I was told in March that an update solution would be available in August. Nothing yet. Has anyone any insight into if this is likely to happen or should I demand a refund and be forced to manage with a stand alone unit.

Brian

Update to Post

As there haven’t been any replies to my post I hope it indicates that no other E Class owner has bought a Nav 20. Info I have received indicates that the update will be sometime in the last quarter of the year and will only be for mapping. Contact with Customer Services is poor. They have claimed to be dealing with my issue which should receive an answer in 10 days. 14 days later they still haven’t called me back and when I call, the responsible person is on another call and will phone back, still waiting! Another issue is that they are still advertising this product with all the features even though I have told them, several times, they may be breaching the Sale of Goods Act. What is going on with this prestigious mark.

Brian

I don't actually know, but...

There are other threads here mentioning shortage of COMAND units - apparently made in Japan where their production was halted following the Tsunami. Incidentally, the Tsunami seems to have also hated the production of a pigment that MB use in their white paint, causing shortage of new white cars. And just how do I know all things? I read them all here on this forum so they must be true :)

It would seem that MB are bending over backwards trying to find creative solutions to the COMAND shortage issue - one user was offered a new A-Class with what appears to be a (hastily) modified Alpine unit made to (partially) fit the car.

So in that context, you story does make sense - though there is never an excuse for poor communication with customers.

Navigation 20 has been available long before the Comand shortage. I understand the early Navigation 20 units support bluetooth streaming but the latest dont. There is a thread on the forum about TMC issues with Navigation 20 if you do a search.

Navigation 20 has been available long before the Comand shortage....

...I was told in March that an update solution would be available in August...

I see... I assumed that this 'update solution' offered in March was Tsunami-related...

Update

My faith in Mercedes customer services has been restored. I have been offered a full refund on the cost of the Nav 20 whilst still keeping the unit. The Nav 20 will never have Audio Streaming but the update due in the fourth quarter of the year will solve the TMC problem. My local dealership at Blackburn have also agreed to do this update at no cost after being messed about for over 9 months and having made several trips to resolve the issues. I hope that they now amend their advertising and offer the Nav 20 with the correct features as it will still sell as an alternative to full Command

Brian

In December of 2010 I visited my local dealer to exchange my current E Class for a new W212 with Command. As there were none available at the time I was talked into purchasing a model and having Navigation 20 post fitted which was to have TMC and Audio Streaming. After 5 visits a partial system was installed with no Audio Streaming and a non functioning TMC. After lots of complaining to both dealership and Customer Services I was told in March that an update solution would be available in August. Nothing yet. Has anyone any insight into if this is likely to happen or should I demand a refund and be forced to manage with a stand alone unit.

Brian

When the previous incarnation of Navigation-20 was released it was called UMI. this did have bluetooth audio streaming. When the proiduct was 'updated' to Navigation-20 it lost the bluetooth audio streaming. This is probbaly where the dealer got confused.

Still, its a good result you have now getting it effectively for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom