Navigation head unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gizmo750

Car
Audi TT
I am looking to get hold of either an Audio 30APS or Comand unit for my 99 (pre-facelift) W208 CLK.

Does anyone have one they would like to sell? Is there anything I need to be aware of when installing?

Thanks

Hi Gizmo

I've just got hold of a comand for my pre-facelift CLK. It's not installed yet. I intend to document everything, so if you go for comand later, you should be OK. From what I've read and been told, it's not that difficult to do.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Flyer, Thanks for that, be interested in the results. Can I ask where you got your Comand unit and the approx price?

Cheers

I got it off a member on this forum, Steve_bcs. I don't think he has any left, but you could check with him, or try MBenzNL - Steve Krabbenborg (his email addy is: [email protected]). You will get lots of help from both.

I paid £750 which included the canbus adapter that you will *probably* need, depending on the comand unit you buy. I've just spent a further 50-odd quid at my dealer for a gps antenna and various bits to fit it.

Cheers

Andrew

Gizmo, I fitted an Audio 30APS that I got via ebay. Can give you the details if you are going to go down that route.

Cheers.

Mine is a facelifted 2000 model CLK.

Fudger, it looks like I may well go that route. I am also trying to retain use of the MB OEM CD changer which is hooked up to the Audio 10 that I have.

I would really appreciate info on any pitfalls and a note of what needs to be done. Top man

Gizmo, make sure you get the correct unit first of all. They do one for the new C class etc that has a curved front and will look very odd in a 208.

The Audio30APS slotted in place of my Audio 10 and hooked up the CD player OK. There needs to be a small bit of wiring for the speed cable and obviously for the GPS antenna. Apart from that it is easy.

On my car I have the computer in the dash cluster and needed to get MB to activate it for the NAV function at a cost of £70 but in reality, you don't need it done (assuming you can in the first instance) as the unit itself shows you directional arrows and with 'Helga' telling you where to go you can't go wrong.

I actually got my unit fitted by an in car systems firm near where i live. They have a lot of experience and done the job in 1.5 hours including a road test.

I got my unit on ebay from a german guy with a 5.0 CD but funnily enough, Becker called me today to say they have a new CD available for the MB units which includes post code selection which would be useful but I believe it will be about £100 to get it unfortunately. Make sure you have a 5.1 version CD minimum.

As for function, it is as easy as my mates new Porsche Turbo fancy TV/DVD/Nav unit to use. The Audio functions are the same as the Audio 10 so you will not have a big learning curve.

I'll take some pics and post in a while but ask any questions you like in the meantime.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Flyer
I got it off a member on this forum

Andrew, any pics of your command un installed? Would like to see it and at £750 it's only £300 more than my Audi30APS cost me.

Any fitting problems anticipated such as removing the centre bar between the climate and audio units?

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan

Lots of pics! They have been re-sized so shouldn't take too long to d/l. Don't anticipate too many problems. As you say, there is some removal/cutting needed and I need to find the speed pulse, but nothing major. Probably the biggest will be running the cable to the cd-changer/MP3 player in the boot (and remove my existing changer).

comand1.jpg
comand9.jpg
comand10.jpg

comand5.jpg

comand6.jpg

comand7.jpg

comand3.jpg

comand8.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Fudger
Gizmo, I fitted an Audio 30APS that I got via ebay. Can give you the details if you are going to go down that route.

Cheers.

Mine is a facelifted 2000 model CLK.

do you have the part # for a W209 command or are they the same?. Does it needs something else to be able to watch TV. Thanks i am really new to this.

j

Hi Flyer, pics look good. One point is that it has an A210 prefix to the part code, I was under the impression that to go into a pre-facelift CLK it needed to be a A208 prefix (as in the W208 model)??? What other bits did you need for the fitting?

Fudger, thanks for the info and the pics. I really am not too sure what to do now as like you say above the Audio 30 is only a few hunderd less than the Comand! ! !

Anyone know if I can retain my existing MB OEM cd changer in the boot with either or both of these head units?

Cheers all - your help is much appreciated.

No, you can fit a variety of comands - here's the relevant info from Frank's Miata Page :

A210 820 4889 no Can-Bus
A210 820 5489 with Can-Bus
A210 820 5689 with Can-Bus and 'Speller'
A210 820 5189 with Can-Bus (US-Model)
A208 820 4089 is from a CLK W208 with CAN-Bus (like A210 820 5489)
A163 820 XXXX is from a M-class with no Can

The other bits are a canbus adapter. Steve very kindly supplied me with one, but you can obtain one from MegaComm . Other bits are the gps antenna and various connectors. Possibly a cage to slot the comand into, but I'm not sure whether that is needed. Another forum member, Paul Grainger didn't use the cage. I'll have a complete list of what's needed when I install.

If your existing MB cd changer is the fibre optic one, then yes it will work. You're also very lucky :D . Mine is a Blaupunkt and won't work :crazy: .

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Flyer
If your existing MB cd changer is the fibre optic one, then yes it will work. You're also very lucky :D . Mine is a Blaupunkt and won't work :crazy: .
I have two lots of cables going to the changer area in the boot, one of them is for the changer supplied with BOSE (not present). Anyone know if that's fibre optic based?

OK chaps - if I can get hold of a Comand unit and GPS antenna and the canbus adaptor is anyone local enough to help me fit it? Obviously I would pay for the assistance.

Shude, everything I've been told (mainly from Steve_bcs) and read is that there are only two changers that work with Comand: the OEM MB and the Becker Silverstone 2662. But, what do I know ... I haven't even installed my Comand yet :D .

I've been looking at the Dension DMP3 instead. Not as integrated, but I can get my entire music collection on there, instead of a measly 6 cds ;) .

Cheers

Andrew

But ..... you cant operate your music selction from comand only the sound via Aux .. and with comand in place where would you fit the Dmp3? its apity comand changer cant read MP3 Cd's

Hi Steve

The DMP3 comes with a little satellite unit that I'm fairly sure will fit in the ashtray (where will a radar detector go? :rolleyes: ). I realise that I would have to select aux, then select on the DMP3, but the convenience of having all that music to hand :D .

Actually, if I could get hold of a MB or Becker CD changer for £100-£150 I'd go for that. But, not seen one yet ...

Cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom