Navigation: Speed pulse and antenna Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anders

Car
‘14 BMW X5 M50D
After a lot of consideration I decided to go for a Blaupunkt DX-V, which can be picked up new in Germany for around 1150 euro. I intend to (try) to install it myself, but having read all the GPS related topics I still have a few questions:

1) Assuming I can find the speed pulse on pin 1A (green/purple), how do you tap into it? Do you simply cut it and reconnect/hardwire or is there a more elegant solution, e.g. an adapter?
2) Same for power: cut & reconnect or is there an adapter?
3) Location of the GPS antenna: As mine is an estate, there is no rear parcel shelf to put it, so will mounting it in the middle of the dash by the wind screen be OK for reception?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone :confused:

From the number of Comand and other GPS posts, I would have thought quite a few would have encountered the same situation?

Please help guys!

Mounting the GPS receiver on the dash will be fine, but if you don't want it visible you could hide it inside the dash and you would still probably get decent satellite reception. Can't help you with the rest I'm afraid

With regards to the speed pulse, have you checked to see if there is a cable going to A1?

I went a bit OTT and also got the Blaupunkt CD/MP3 headunit Seattle MP 74 and the 5 disc IDC-A09.

So more than ever will my electronics skills (or lack off!) be tested! Will get the radio removal keys tomorrow, and will investigate whether I actually have the speedpulse cable or not. If not, a very cheap Blaupunkt DX-V will be on Ebay... :crazy:

Anders said:
1) Assuming I can find the speed pulse on pin 1A (green/purple), how do you tap into it? Do you simply cut it and reconnect/hardwire or is there a more elegant solution, e.g. an adapter?
2) Same for power: cut & reconnect or is there an adapter?
3) Location of the GPS antenna: As mine is an estate, there is no rear parcel shelf to put it, so will mounting it in the middle of the dash by the wind screen be OK for reception?

To tap into the wiring I proceed as follows: About an inch back from where the wire attaches to the ISO plug, use a sharp blade to carefully cut away about 5mm of insulation. then wrap the new wire around & solder the joint. then wrap the joint in insulation tape. this way there is no tneed ot cut any main wires. You could always use "scotchloc" connectors but soldering is by far the most professional & reliable method.

GPS antenna can usually be mounted between the instrument cluster & teh dash top. means removing teh cluster. or perhaps remove teh glove box & mount it between the top of that & the dash. GPS antennas can see thru plastic & foam but not metal & need a line of sight to the sky.

hope this helps

Last edited:
steve_bcs said:
To tap into the wiring I proceed as follows: About an inch back from where the wire attaches to the ISO plug, use a sharp blade to carefully cut away about 5mm of insulation. then wrap the new wire around & solder the joint. then wrap the joint in insulation tape. this way there is no tneed ot cut any main wires. You could always use "scotchloc" connectors but soldering is by far the most professional & reliable method.
If it were me, I'd buy a pair of those ISO kits from somewhere like Maplins for about £5 each, and make a custom adapter to go inbetween the existing wiring using the method Steve outlined. Then if you change car or whatever you've only got a custom loom to worry about and no oem wiring changed at all.

thats a damn fine idea nick

Thanks to you all!

I think I will go the ISO way, very good idea!

Cheers!

Anders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom