Navigation System showing incorrect location after map update C238

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Allpag

Car
E220d AMG Line Premium 2dr 9G-Tronic
Hi.
Carried out map update on the navigation system (NTG5.5) of my 2017 E class coupe (C238) via USB a couple of weeks ago and everything appeared to be ok. Update took about an hour to install and vehicle position was showing to be in the correct location after the installation was complete.

I didn't drive the car myself until last Thursday evening when I noticed that although the navigation system seems to know my direction of travel, it is about 2 miles out of position and obviously doesn't match up with the road map.

Spoke with the map supplier and they suggest that this appears to be a problem with the GPS antenna rather than the new map update. I guess that I could just be unlucky that the antenna has failed so close to the map update.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar after map update.

Also, when looking at the Compass information within the Navigation system, this shows 12 satellites from which a signal can be recieved - is this the actual number of satellites connected to the system in "real time" or the total number of satellites that the system is capable of connecting to simultaneously?

I can see (genuine Mercedes) replacement GPS antenna available on Ebay for around £50. I believe that the GPS antenna is located in the drivers door mirror in the C238, has anybody had any experience with replacing the antenna?

Thanks in advance, any help/advice would be appreciated.

I would wait a while before changing the antenna. it might just be a bit confused and an electric glitch.

I recently drove from Germany to UK. i was in Cologne and the car thought I was in Berlin. i started to get agitated as I was thinking how the hell will i get directions to the uk. pulled into a service station to get a USB socket for my phone via the the cigarette socket. Started the car and my Comand knew where I was thankfulky.

So 19 euro wasted on a cheap Chinese usb socket .....

Hopefully just a glitch and your location will be found soon.

I think the direction of the car is via gyroscope, location is by GPS.

Perhaps makes sense to wait and see but it likely needs a new antenna anyway. The C238 probably has the same antenna location and part as the W213, wife's previous W213 (2017) had a broken antenna. It was working intermittently first, then died completely. A very common issue on a W213 from that time.

you might try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and see if it resets itself. you will then need to reset the windows and roof after reconnection.

you might try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and see if it resets itself. you will then need to reset the windows and roof after reconnection.

The GPS antenna resets itself? It only has an LNA amplifier and the power is switched off anyway every time the car is switched off.

Are you thinking of a head unit reset? Safer to try the reset menu or reset from the switch on button, depending on the model or just remove the head unit fuse.

The GPS antenna resets itself? It only has an LNA amplifier and the power is switched off anyway every time the car is switched off.

Are you thinking of a head unit reset? Safer to try the reset menu or reset from the switch on button, depending on the model or just remove the head unit fuse.
At the moment we dont know if its the antenna. Could possibly be the head unit for some reason not quite in sync with the new uploaded maps. Or indeed the new maps themselves. I only say this as it worked for me when my location froze about 4 years ago. Albeit on a w219 NTG1. Fuse removal would achieve the same thing i guess.

At the moment we dont know if its the antenna. Could possibly be the head unit for some reason not quite in sync with the new uploaded maps. Or indeed the new maps themselves. I only say this as it worked for me when my location froze about 4 years ago. Albeit on a w219 NTG1. Fuse removal would achieve the same thing i guess.

On the basis of the available info, we indeed do not know if it is the antenna. It would be easy to check from the head unit menus though. Just find how many satellites the head unit can see, if "0" or "-", narrows down the possible faults.

On the basis of the available info, we indeed do not know if it is the antenna. It would be easy to check from the head unit menus though. Just find how many satellites the head unit can see, if "0" or "-", narrows down the possible faults.
I think the op said it could see 12 satellites

I think the op said it could see 12 satellites

I probably misunderstood the point. He writes "also..." and I thought he would expect more satellites when the antenna works. Completely different thing if it shows 12 satellites also when the location is way off.

Better to have codes read:

NTG5.5: Vehicle positioning inaccurate /
implausible, route guidance not possible
Topic number GI82.85-P-064630
Version 10
Function group 82.85 Navigation and Communication system (CNS, ICS,
COMAND, FleetBoard)
Date 04-12-2018
Validity BR213
Reason for change BR 238 added to validity.
Complaint:
The vehicle positioning in the central display is intermittently inaccurate and may drift away from the road although the
vehicle is still on the road.
Cause:
GPS antenna is defective.
Remedy:
a) If one of the following fault codes is logged in the fault memory of Audio20 A26/17, COMAND Online A26/17 control
units or the control unit for telematics services (Hermes) N112/9, as "current" or "stored", then the GPS antenna is to
be replaced:
- B142E13 "The GPS antenna has a malfunction. There is an open circuit."
- B142E11 "The GPS antenna has a malfunction. There is a short circuit to ground."
- B142E31 "The GPS antenna has a malfunction. No signal." (only with N112/9, Hermes)
b) If none of these fault codes is logged, it is essential to check the GPS antenna using Xentry Diagnostics:
(NOTE: The function check of the GPS antenna must always be performed under a clear sky so that unobstructed reception
of the satellites is guaranteed. The trunk

Update - Got in the car today and navigation working perfectly!

Done around 60 miles and and vehicle position was correct on the map. Have no idea why this has suddenly rectified itself. Very strange.

Update - Got in the car today and navigation working perfectly!

Done around 60 miles and and vehicle position was correct on the map. Have no idea why this has suddenly rectified itself. Very strange.

Well, if it is the antenna, it would come and go. You'll see it in a couple of months. It might have been a SW glitch as mentioned here although no reset needed for recovery.

Where did you source the map update from?

Where did you source the map update from?

Seller is navi-expert-uk
Ordered map upgrades for both C and E class in the past and have been very pleased. Recieve a USB stick in the post within a couple of days of ordering. The upgrade process is really easy. Recommended.

Reactions: JHS

Seller is navi-expert-uk
Ordered map upgrades for both C and E class in the past and have been very pleased. Recieve a USB stick in the post within a couple of days of ordering. The upgrade process is really easy. Recommended.
Pirated copies.

Seller is navi-expert-uk
Also used him with no problems. Much more cost-effective than the MB update!

Pirated from where?

From Mercedes Benz.

The maps update require a PIN that is unique to the car's VIN.

The unique PIN is generated by the MB central computer.

Whenever a delaer requests a PIN from the central computer, they get charged by MB. The dealer then passes-on the cost to the customer (with a profit margin).

There are hackers who replicated the algorithm that generates the unique PIN based on the car VIN.

eBay sellers buy these hacked PINs online from the hackers and sell them on.

The maps data, i.e. the contents of the USB flash drive, is a free download from MB anyway, what you're paying for is in fact the hacked code (and a couple of quid for the USB drive).

What is the difference between the hacked PIN and the genuine PIN? With a genuine PIN, the PIN is recorded on the MB central computer and allocated to your car's profile, and your car is then officially licensed to use the new maps version. With the hacked PIN, there will be no trace of it on the MB computer and your car will not have a valid license to use the maps.

So it's a bit like the pirated video cassettes of old.... same movie, but the proceeds go to the 'pirates' instead of to the rightful owner of the Intellectual Property Rights.

Reactions: JHS
From Mercedes Benz.

The maps update require a PIN that is unique to the car's VIN.

The unique PIN is generated by the MB central computer.

Whenever a delaer requests a PIN from the central computer, they get charged by MB. The dealer then passes-on the cost to the customer (with a profit margin).

There are hackers who replicated the algorithm that generates the unique PIN based on the car VIN.

eBay sellers buy these hacked PINs online from the hackers and sell them on.

The maps data, i.e. the contents of the USB flash drive, is a free download from MB anyway, what you're paying for is in fact the hacked code (and a couple of quid for the USB drive).

What is the difference between the hacked PIN and the genuine PIN? With a genuine PIN, the PIN is recorded on the MB central computer and allocated to your car's profile, and your car is then officially licensed to use the new maps version. With the hacked PIN, there will be no trace of it on the MB computer and your car will not have a valid license to use the maps.

So it's a bit like the pirated video cassettes of old.... same movie, but the proceeds go to the 'pirates' instead of to the rightful owner of the Intellectual Property Rights.
Thanks for that info, appreciated.
Maybe, just maybe, if MB did not charge so much then the pirates would not have a business?
Strange that there is not so much righteousness on here about other "pirate" parts though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom