Navigation System showing incorrect location after map update C238

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for that info, appreciated.
Maybe, just maybe, if MB did not charge so much then the pirates would not have a business?
Strange that there is not so much righteousness on here about other "pirate" parts though.

It's not that simple.

Setting aside being "righteousness", copyright theft isn't a victimless offence.

For example, there are people on this very forum who legitimately resell genuine MB Maps updates, and the pirated copies can have a negative impact on their business.

As far as I am concerned, people can do as they please, but there's rarely a simple one-size-fits-all explanation or justification.

Reactions: JHS
It's not that simple.

Setting aside being "righteousness", copyright theft isn't a victimless offence.

For example, there are people on this very forum who legitimately resell genuine MB Maps updates, and the pirated copies can have a negative impact on their business.

As far as I am concerned, people can do as they please, but there's rarely a simple one-size-fits-all explanation or justification.
The righteousness was not aimed at you, but you did indeed latch on to what I alluded to.
Folk are all too willing to recommend and to extol the quality of non MB parts to save money as long as it does not impact on the business of posters on here, and that is accepted. Not all MB replica parts are manufactured by OE manufacturers, but these OEMs do not post on here, so that is ok.
If MB and their resellers were not so avaricious, the pirates would not have a business. It works for MB Newcastle and Edinburgh.
Nothing personal intended.

Thanks for that info, appreciated.
Maybe, just maybe, if MB did not charge so much then the pirates would not have a business?
Strange that there is not so much righteousness on here about other "pirate" parts though.

Instead of charging less, they could provide maps updates for "free" (paid sufficiently in new car price). Some other brands do. Why does it have to cost so much for cars but free for smartphone apps?

Instead of charging less, they could provide maps updates for "free" (paid sufficiently in new car price). Some other brands do.

The maps update are free for the first 3 years. Do other car manufacturers provide maps update free-for-life?

Why does it have to cost so much for cars but free for smartphone apps?

Smartphone apps collect your personal data and sell it to advertisers, so you do pay, but not in cash - that's the deal.

Well, perhaps easy money but less than they would make if the cost was lower. More owners would purchase updates.

Do you think Mercedes is not collecting information about their customers? Perhaps not as wide scope but everything they need to know. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that data is forwarded to third parties in some form.

..Do you think Mercedes is not collecting information about their customers? Perhaps not as wide scope but everything they need to know. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that data is forwarded to third parties in some form.

Mercedes will be collecting your personal data if you create a Mercedes me online account and download the app.

But if all you did was to just buy the latest maps update (without registering anything online) then Mercedes would not be collecting any personal data about you whatsoever (and paranoids can pay cash instead of using a bank card ...).

However, this raises an interesting point - Mercedes could go down the Google & Apple route, and give the maps data away for free, but only to customers who registered with them and downloaded their app - and consent to their personal details being sold-on to marketeers.

Mercedes will be collecting your personal data if you create a Mercedes me online account and download the app.

But if all you did was to just buy the latest maps update (without registering anything online) then Mercedes would not be collecting any personal data about you whatsoever (and paranoids can pay cash instead of using a bank card ...).

However, this raises an interesting point - Mercedes could go down the Google & Apple route, and give the maps data away for free, but only to customers who registered with them and downloaded their app - and consent to their personal details being sold-on to marketeers.

Isn't it like this with the latest models. On-line updates only, automatic or manual. A Mercedes Me account is needed and then MB gets all sorts of other information if they wish.

The maps update are free for the first 3 years.
Only if Mercedes dealers actually do the updates, twice I was told they had been updated when they did not do it. Amazingly the first time I told them they had not been updated they tried to fob me off with the excuse that the new maps showed the same roads as the old map and I would be better waiting on next years maps instead. Mercedes dealers just do not like updating maps for free.

Isn't it like this with the latest models. On-line updates only, automatic or manual. A Mercedes Me account is needed and then MB gets all sorts of other information if they wish.

I think that even with MBUX 6 and 7 you can still update the maps using USB flash drive (and without having a Mercedes me account), if you wanted to, but perhaps someone with the latest model can confirm this?

Regarding the pirating accusation - Just had a quick look on Ebay and the seller (UK-Navi-Expert) has had an account since April 2007 with 100% positive feedback. I have purchased two map updates in the past and have been very impressed with the customer service recieved.

I have no knowledge of how the UK police prioritise different types of crime, but I would imagine if the seller was doing something illegal, they would not have been able to provide pirated unlock codes for the last 17 years with no consequensces.

Regarding the pirating accusation - Just had a quick look on Ebay and the seller (UK-Navi-Expert) has had an account since April 2007 with 100% positive feedback. I have purchased two map updates in the past and have been very impressed with the customer service recieved.

I have no knowledge of how the UK police prioritise different types of crime, but I would imagine if the seller was doing something illegal, they would not have been able to provide pirated unlock codes for the last 17 years with no consequensces.

I have no idea who UK-Navi-Expert are, or how they source the PIN codes that they sell.

I was explaining what 'pirated' maps are, and how they are obtained.

How would you identify a seller who sells pirated PIN codes? Well, to start with, anyone selling these PIN codes for a fraction of what MB sells them, is almost certainly selling pirated codes.

As for prosecution, copyright theft is a type of offence where the CPS provides support for prosecution but they will not initiate it. This is simply because the copyright owner needs to make a complaint before the police, Trading Standards, andthe CPS can take action. What typically happens in these cases, is that the copyright owner will gather evidence then submit it to Trading Standards, who will then decide whether to start an investigation.

So as long as MB do not do anything about it, then nothing will be done by the police, Trading Standards, or the CPS. Why MB are not taking action is anyone's guess.

To clarify, I am not getting on my high horse, and as far as I am concerned, everyone can do as they please. I am simply trying to explain the machnism and legalities (to my best understanding) behind this issue.

I do know who they are and yes they have been doing this for years. Sadly there is very little that is done about these people. Feedback on ebay is calculated over 1 year and yes i'm sure the people who paid pennies instead of pounds are very happy....... I wonder if they are just as happy that we all pay a little bit more here and there to make up for the lost revenue the original manufacturer would have made.

Ive done some work in the past with Daimler Benz on protecting their brand in this area. They can be quite litigious as these people who offer pirated S/W often use the manufacturers logo's too. Mercedes have been known to go after these people. Rightly so.

I think that even with MBUX 6 and 7 you can still update the maps using USB flash drive (and without having a Mercedes me account), if you wanted to, but perhaps someone with the latest model can confirm this?

MBUX maps can be updated with a USB drive but you do have to be logged in to your Mercedes Me account. As for older models, the downloaded maps data is "VIN coded", one cannot ask someone else to download this via his/her account. No PIN needed when installed, perhaps more secure as I have not seen pirated copies, do they exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom