NCB on a 2nd car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

my wife insures 2 cars (citroen picasso and the E300D saloon).

We have recently only had the merc insured as the picasso has been off the road but we have now starting running it and insured it on a brand new policy with Direct Line.

They want proof of no claims.

Fine, we phoned them to tell them she as full NCB and with themselves. They say that you cannot use that NCB on another car and you need to build up seperate NCB for each car you have.....

strange stuff, but they said for £35 they will sort it out so that the NCB is for both policies.

Thinking its a bit of a rip off but have no choice - we paid.

Mother in Law has done the same thing with her 2 cars and had no issues - this was with Esure.

Does anyone know if the above is correct? I am not confident the direct line person knew what they were doing - or is it just their policy???

any ideas?

thanks

Derek

I always thought you could only use NCB per vehicle.. or I guess.. per policy.. (multi-car policies)

This is what I have heard as well. Saying that, Direct Line have sent us info about a second car etc and NCB will follow, as long as you stay with them. Have no idea if we would have to pay for it....

NCD is normally earned per car. You can transfer it from one to another, but only within a certain period of time. After that it 'expires' and is lost.

The time period may vary depending on the company, I think it was a couple of months last time I asked.

As already mentioned, many companies now have special schemes for multiple vehicles anyway - the discounts etc. can more than offeset lost NCD.

I use Admiral and they have quoted me a very good price for a 2 car policy, certainly much less then 2 separate ones....

I have 4 cars and 4 sets of NCB so I would assume that it is per car, not per driver. So this means that if I have an accident the I could essentially chose which acr I use my NCB's on!

thanks - it appears DirectLine is correct then.

NCB doesn't actually exist statutorily. An insurance company can do whatever they want, because they are the ones who made it up.

They are correct and if you suspend one, you lose the whole lot and start again. One NCB per car.

Go to the internet, load of good offers or Admiral or some others if you have more than one.

Bell Direct (who'm I'm with) do this as well. You technically only get 1 NCD but they will give you a similar discount for an additional car but this is not the same as NCD. To that end, you could not prove you had it and transfer to another company with it.

Incidentaly, If you have an accident it WILL affect all of your policies. The accident goes against you as a driver and not the car that is insured. Be careful with this one as both policies suffer in the event. (Unless you have NCD protected). Again, because the second car is technically a monetary discount rather than NCD, it can't be protected..!!

I had a car park scrape in the C43, which resulted in a third party claim against me (fair enough, it was 100% my fault..) and I lost 2 years NCD on that policy. This hasn't affected the NCD on my other car policy, they are with different companies and both are aware of the claim.

Cheers,

Gaz

if all cars are with the same co they will give a good discount mine do as i run three so it limits the miles helps aswell

go to a broker.....guarantee a new NCB will appear....:D

Carole nash insurance offered me NCD on a second car if I took a policy with them.

As Doofus says, Admiral quoted same offer too.

Directline explained to me that they will match my NCD on a new policy on a second car, but should I switch later then the second car will only have the NCD which had been earned.

So if I have full NCD on car #1, they will match the level of discount on a new policy on car #2. If two years later I take car #2 to a different insurer then I will only be able to take two years NCD with me on that policy.

They also said to have a multi-car arrangement in this way, it would be possible if I was the one and only driver could be insured on each car. Otherwise both cars could be driven at the same time.

Directline explained to me that they will match my NCD on a new policy on a second car, but should I switch later then the second car will only have the NCD which had been earned.

So if I have full NCD on car #1, they will match the level of discount on a new policy on car #2. If two years later I take car #2 to a different insurer then I will only be able to take two years NCD with me on that policy.

They also said to have a multi-car arrangement in this way, it would be possible if I was the one and only driver could be insured on each car. Otherwise both cars could be driven at the same time.

But how much more expensive than the cheapest quote in real term?

We all have different life circumstances, but I've not yet managed to find a cheaper motor insurance quote than from Directline, in probably seven years. That coupled with matching NCD makes it work out for me - maybe not for others.

I have 4 cars and 4 sets of NCB so I would assume that it is per car, not per driver. So this means that if I have an accident the I could essentially chose which acr I use my NCB's on!

Well, not really because you would have to declare the accident and the claim on all the other policies which will increase the premium for all of them.

Insurance by its very nature will aways be weighted against you.

Just remember.....you build them up per car.....but you loose them for all ! - when you come to renew..the question "Have any of them named drivers been involved in an accident in the last XX years ?" - does not ask which car, so if you are renewing for Car 1, but had an accident in Car 2, you legally have to declar it......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom