NCT Failure's in Ireland & Good garage to get work completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marko_eire

Car
W211 E55
Hi Guys,

i'm hoping someone can help me out here... i recently spent close to 700 euro for a service on my 04 C270cdi it included new brake discs for the front and 4 brake pads and a full service which i wasn't overly happy with the price but knew the brake discs alone were expensive so bit the bullet and got the work done.

I followed the service with a booking for an NCT our equivalant to your MOT in the UK. I was surpised to see that the car failed the test and now i need to get the following items repaired before a retest

Front Tracking rods (both sides)
Front dust cover (whatever that is !) :eek:
headlight alignment
Brake lines rear (because of corrosion?)
rear tyre
Wheel alignment redone

I've had a quote from the same garage which is more than the service cost. Can anyone recommend a decent garage that could do this work at a reasonable price? i'm a bit deflated at the thought of paying another 700-1000 for the above work :(. any help or advice is appreciated. :wallbash:

Hey Marko , where in reland are you ? I can recomend a good MB indy in County Louth

If you're anywhere near Co Wexford, my folks swore by David James of Gorey. Runs a Suzuki dealership at the moment (at the top of Main Street, by the Monument) but was always happy to help with their cars, which weren't Suzukis.

Hi Lads, sorry it's been awhile since i've been on here ! thanks a mil for the replies so far i replaced or repaired all of the above apart from the brake lines which nobody wants to touch as they are quite complicated the one guy that offered to replace the line was charging me 8 hours labour which including VAT was close to 800 euro. i got a friend of a friend to replace the following parts

Front tracking rods- set 90 Euro
Front dust cover (was part of the track rod end)
headlight alignment- 20 euro
Brake lines rear (because of corrosion?)- Still to be done
rear tyre-80 euro (cheap brand)
Wheel alignment redone 65 euro

so 250 for parts and only charged 80 for labour. i also had a leak in the Autobox which needed a new seal and replacement ATF i think it was 4 1/2 to 5 litres that cost roughly 80 euro so it's been costly enough to get the work done and i'm still saving to get the break line done so i can pass the NCt i'll also have to get 3 new tyres as they have all worn down due to the alignment being off and won't pass the NCT. there is also a knocking noise when i break so i think one of the track rod ends that was replaced might be loose or something as it's only since they were replaced.

i have also got a coil light on the last few weeks which goes out after a min or so but lately with the cold weather setting in the car takes about 6-7 attempts to start i'm hoping this is not another big problem that will cost a fortune at this stage i'll need to raid a bank to keep this car on the road

We're are you living in Ireland

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare alright.
I can recommend Sean Murphy at Greenmount Motors in Harolds Cross - 01 4542178.
They are very knowledgeable on Mercedes and have looked after my own mercedes since about 1996.

Hope your troubles get resolved.

I'm based in cork I have a great guy very fair and over 40 years experience and Also a mb mechanic work s with him in evenings
If your ever down my way sort out a service while your hear save you a fortune

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare alright.
I can recommend Sean Murphy at Greenmount Motors in Harolds Cross - 01 4542178.
They are very knowledgeable on Mercedes and have looked after my own mercedes since about 1996.

Hope your troubles get resolved.

Thanks for all the replies guys does this guy also do break lines aswell? and does anyone know roughly how much they cost to get repaired as i'm getting different prices ?:dk:

A friend of mine has a BMW which failed an MOT due to brake corrosion. BMW wanted £800 to replace them as the fuel tank needs to be dropped. However, they looked at them and said they wouldn't have failed the MOT as the corrosion was so minimal. He then cleaned them up and painted them, they have passed all MOTs since.

If you were near Armagh, I could arrange for brake pipes to be replaced by
a MB mechanic. The last time I saw him replace rear pipes on a C class, he took out the rear subframe to do the job. If you don't do that, the pipes don't follow the way they were done at the factory.

The subframe needs to be dropped down yes. I think eight hours is a bit harsh. Maybe five tops. The fluid should be bled back through with star

thanks guys for the replies My heart is honestly broke with this car:wallbash: i love driving it but it's becoming a money pit now :( before xmas the glow plug came on followed by starting issues eventually the car wouldn't start some mornings because the battery drained due to numerous cranks eventually i was able to start the car with a jump lead attached i went to a local indie and they said the plugs were shot and the glow plug module was also needing replacing rough estimate €400 i done a bit of research and bought 5 plugs for €45 euro !! a friend of a friend done a bit of work on cars and offered to replace them as there quite easy to do we replaced 4 of the 5 with no issues two of which were faulty so i thought i was onto a winner when the 5th one snapped :mad::mad: so now i'm left with a broken plug in the head and the starting issues still the same quotes i'm getting for the head removal to get at the plug is €500 i've been told not to bother removing the broken plug as the car will start fine with 4 new plugs, i've also been told the issue with the car not starting is not glow plug related and maybe a relay?? i'd saved a few quid to try get the brake line done but that went off two new tyres and tracking any ideas on what i can do to finally get this car working again has anyone fixed such an issues before? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

A friend of mine has a BMW which failed an MOT due to brake corrosion. BMW wanted £800 to replace them as the fuel tank needs to be dropped. However, they looked at them and said they wouldn't have failed the MOT as the corrosion was so minimal. He then cleaned them up and painted them, they have passed all MOTs since.

i think this may have to be my only option !! :thumb:

Hi guys just heard back from the mechanic he Wreckons the Glow Plug Control module needs replacing? any ideas how much that would cost and where i can get one? he is checking out a few Stealerships for pricing but i've a feeling it's going to be expensive....

Why not check with breakers , or try part finder uk , I have used them

Thanks shorty I got a new glow plug relay (control module) for 140 euro ex vat installed it and the problem is still there :( so that 4 new plug the fifth broke in the head and I was advised to leave it for now as the cost is astronomical to get it removed and the car should have no problems starting with 4 ) I've spent a fortune at this stage in trying to get it repaired if there is anyone who has any ideas I'd appreciate your input Ive now been told to replace the battery as it dies after about 5/6 cranks of the engine and needs a jump am I just pissing in the wind with replacing the battery its a cost I can't really afford I'm now thinking of selling the car due to all these problems of late

Id reckon the battery needs to be replaced if it dies after 5 or 6 cranks , though this may not be the only issue .
Is there any air entering the fuel system ? Maybe check that all the fuel lines and fuel filter . I wonder if parking the car facing down hill would it start easily the next day .

Thanks for the reply i actually tried that as i read if the fuel tank is low it's best not to park the car facing up hill... The latest is i got the car to start again with another jump from a VW polo !! :( i drove it for a bit and the EML came on the car wouldn't go over 30 mph i think i'll throw the towel in with this car now either that or a match ! to frustrate me even more this morning it was -2 in dublin and the car started after about 5/6 cranks i left it for about 5 mins in between the first 3 cranks and it started i'm going to try get it to a garage now and seeif they can at least get an error code from the EML my worry is the fuel lines or something even more expensive will need replacing ,,, merc's are lovely cars to drive but my God they cost a fortune to repair my old BMW didn't cost as much as this merc and i had it for 4 years (before the head cracked :O) i'm going to keep this post updated for anyone who is having similar issues so thanks for all the responses so far.

Well lads it's seems the fuel pump is leaking and apparently causing all this hassle !!
I've been told to source a new pump and "O" ring seals which should sort the problem ! i'll keep you posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom