Near miss on possible oil overfill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Back from a journmey of 400 miles yesterday and decided to check oil level on E320 Cdi as I have not put a drop in since new. Waited a couple of hours and sure enough "add 1 litre." Did that three times. Same result.

But mindful of tales of woe on this forum, waited until this morning and sure enough, "oil level ok". Did that a number of times and the same result.

So strikes me the oil level sensor set for add 1 litre or nothing and I may be needing, say, 0.75 of a litre! Bring back the dipstick!

Anyway, moral is wait overnight I think.

What a joke! Mine's only once said add 1 litre and I didn't think twice about adding it (luckily it said it was ok afterwards).

Was the vehicle level both times? I have found that makes a difference. On my drive at home (on a slight slope) it can say reduce level, but its fine on a flat surface.

Satch said:
Back from a journmey of 400 miles yesterday and decided to check oil level on E320 Cdi as I have not put a drop in since new. Waited a couple of hours and sure enough "add 1 litre." Did that three times. Same result.

But mindful of tales of woe on this forum, waited until this morning and sure enough, "oil level ok". Did that a number of times and the same result.

So strikes me the oil level sensor set for add 1 litre or nothing and I may be needing, say, 0.75 of a litre! Bring back the dipstick!

Anyway, moral is wait overnight I think.

'maybe' when you got back from your journey the oil was still in circulation around your engine, so the available oil in your oil sump was less, which the sensor reported.

In the morning the oil from your engine/oil filter would have drained back into the sump raising the level by a bit and hence the sensor reported it OK?

uumode said:
'maybe' when you got back from your journey the oil was still in circulation around your engine, so the available oil in your oil sump was less, which the sensor reported.

In the morning the oil from your engine/oil filter would have drained back into the sump raising the level by a bit and hence the sensor reported it OK?

I think that is very likely. So what it means is that even if you are taking readings on a dead level surface (as I was) cannot really do so reliably until maybe 4 or 5 hours after switch off.

Satch,

I think 4 or 5 hours is a little excessive! Maybe about 5 minutes on a warm engine for the oil to drain into the sump! ;). How did you check your oil level in the past (with the dipstick I mean)?
Good luck and I hope it is OK now.

Cheers,

Will

I've had this issue and its a pain in the ****! why not just have a backup dipstick as a failsafe. I hate relying on a sensor for something as crucial as the oil.

As the others have said it is probably just on the cusp of wanting one litre added and sometimes it says add 1 litre and sometimes it says OK. I have found that it is also very sensitive to even slightly non-level surfaces so I always measure it at the same location to be consistent.

Will said:
Satch,

I think 4 or 5 hours is a little excessive! Maybe about 5 minutes on a warm engine for the oil to drain into the sump! ;). How did you check your oil level in the past (with the dipstick I mean)?
Good luck and I hope it is OK now.

Cheers,

Will

No dipstick on a E320Cdi, just an oil level sensor.

Now I think about it, the oil filter sits upside down on top of the engine so maybe that takes a while to drain, but I agree that all other things being equal you would expect most of the oil to drain back in a few minutes.

Satch said:
No dipstick on a E320Cdi, just an oil level sensor.

Now I think about it, the oil filter sits upside down on top of the engine so maybe that takes a while to drain, but I agree that all other things being equal you would expect most of the oil to drain back in a few minutes.

True... unless the design deliberately restricts the oil flowing out of the engine keeping the oil lubricating the surfaces as long as possible to prevent engine wear, on 'cold starts'.

Just an observation and mine only has a dipstick so could be totally off beam here - but after you've added your one litre - are you supposed to run the engine then let it settle again?

I just happened to check my oil level on the computer yetserday eve after giving the car a good run. As soon as I swicthed the engine off and went to check the oil the computer reported "add 1 litre to max level". Few minutes later when I parked car in gagage and carried out the same check the computer reported "Enegine level ok" or somethign along the lines. Guess moroal of story is always doubel check the readings before rushing to add any oil.

Flash

I always only check the oil when the engine is cold, first thing in the morning. That way, all the oil should be back in the sump, at 'room' temp and not 'expanded' by heat. The electronic chek system is pretty accurate when used this way .. but I double check with the dipstick always before adding oil. Too much oil is a HUGE pain.

silverarrow said:
buy the dipstick

I did not know you could get one for a W211, but if they do exist I shall be buying one ASAP. Cannot recall seeing anywhere on a 320Cdi engine where it might go, but then I have not been looking

I was reading on the US forum, there is a dipstick available on the w211 and they also fiqured out where it went. Since i use the auto method i didn't pay much attention. The site is Mbforums.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom