Nearly 1000bhp/tonne anyone...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, W221 S500, W220 S600, GBS Zero, Defender Wolf 110, Audi A6 BiTdi, Octavia vRS
Looking to get another car and casting the net wide. Saw this which is just mental...up to 550bhp in a 570kg car. Maybe too mental for me!

A member here had one with similar power but from a 2.3 Supercharged V6 ... interesting thread, well worth a read:

A member here had one with similar power but from a 2.3 Supercharged V6 ... interesting thread, well worth a read:

Awesome thanks. Will read this later 👍

Stick with the thread as the original plan was for something a bit more sensible! IIRC he had problems getting the noise level low enough for track days.

If your looking at something similar to that then buy the ariel atom a complete monster and still holding value not like the dax
Not mine
IMG-20190605-WA0005.jpg
[/url]

If your looking at something similar to that then buy the ariel atom a complete monster and still holding value not like the dax
Not mine
IMG-20190605-WA0005.jpg
[/url]
Yes good call on the atom, but I've never been totally sold on them... though not actually driven one. They definitely hold value better....probably can't get one for the money I was looking to spend!

I drove that 1 as i bought the rs you definitely need to be wearing your big boy pants 😅

I drove that 1 as i bought the rs you definitely need to be wearing your big boy pants 😅
🤣 I can imagine!
I have a soft spot for the mk2 RS.... in fact I have my eye on one that's coming up for sale at auction. Amazing how they've become a "classic" so quickly.
Which collins package is that, 420?

I had a Caterham clone with an LS2 V8 (6.0l, 400bhp, 400lb-ft) for a number of years, and finally sold it about a year ago. All of these ridiculous horsepower lightweight cars are magnificent fun on their day, but I found very few days where I could genuinely use it as a late 40s family man with kids. I did only 1,200 miles in it over the 5 years I had it.

Dry tarmac wheelspin at 80mph in 4th and powersliding out of roundabouts never gets old, but the lack of roof/windscreen/ability to stay on the road in the damp did frequently get old. It did come into its own on track, but personally, finding time for track days was difficult. I also love my motorbikes, and decided that this car was just as selfish as a motorbike, without many of the benefits of the bikes.

For me, with the benefit of hindsight, I regret changing my previous turbocharged MX5 for it. That had a better balance of usability vs. fun, though was a little slower of course. I am very glad that I bought it and experienced it, but the MX5 would have been a better long term proposition.

Just mentioning all this in case it helps the OP narrow down their next car choice.

Martin.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    910.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    845.9 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, Martin, this is really helpful. What you say makes perfect sense, of course. I think there's an itch I need to scratch though! I have previously considered turbo MX-5s and less-ridiculously-powered lightweights (e.g. <2l Caterhams), but the relative lack of power doesn't excite me. I realise that straight line speed and high power is not what these cars are about, but it definitely adds to the excitement! I expect your Caterham was incredible fun, but very scary at the same time!

Food for thought though.

I agree these cars are a selfish choice in many ways. However, my dogs seem fairly happy with their choice of 3 vehicles :thumb:

🤣 I can imagine!
I have a soft spot for the mk2 RS.... in fact I have my eye on one that's coming up for sale at auction. Amazing how they've become a "classic" so quickly.
Which collins package is that, 420?
No its the CP 370 ,the prices are stupid now i wouldn't pay them ,if you do get 1 there's only 1 colour to buy and that is the ultimate green with lux 1 and 2 with dinamica seats

I drove a Westfield SEIGHT 4.2 V8 Roadster with a John Eales engine, courtesy of JE back in the early 90's.

I was very tempted, but don't now regret not buying it. What Martin says is dead right.

NJSS

No its the CP 370 ,the prices are stupid now i wouldn't pay them ,if you do get 1 there's only 1 colour to buy and that is the ultimate green with lux 1 and 2 with dinamica seats
They are. And I expect the one at auction will go for more than I'm prepared to pay. And it's white unfortunately. It does have the MR375 pack though.

I drove a Westfield SEIGHT 4.2 V8 Roadster with a John Eales engine, courtesy of JE back in the early 90's.

I was very tempted, but don't now regret not buying it. What Martin says is dead right.

NJSS

Maybe I should be sensible :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom