(Nearly) Got the Mrs A Dodge Nitro (I know I know)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Anna had a Dodge Caliber SXT petrol and loves it (!) but its a bit thirsy and she goes to London every 6 weeks to see her dad and its a bit unsuited to the motorway.

As she works at Clare House (local childrens hos
pice) as a fundraiser the car is used like a van a lot and is often full of tables, balloons, collection tins etc so a easy to load van type thing.

Well 3 years is nearly up and they want £4.2k for it and we couldnt decide if she should keep it or we trade up, on saturday we were on the way back from the Jag dealer in Chester after finalising the XFR spec :bannana: and insisting the sales chap writes "Customer is very very fussy" on all the order forms (so when I kick off over the smallest thing they cannot feign surprise) (and yes I am serious) :rolleyes: we popped into the Seat / Dodge / Jeep place nearby.

On the lot was a deep red Nitro 2.8d SXT top spec with nav and bluetooth, leather etc and a nifty slide out loading platform in the boot - very boyish plus it had optional nifty 20" (kerb me kerb me) 5 spoke alloys. £15,500 11 months old 10k miles
Anna took it for a spin (nice dealer no hassle) and was intimidated at first as she is only 5,1 but the full electric seat got her in place and the smooth auto was easy for her PLUS I could drive it without feeling a :eek:
Downside - Its bigger than a Rangey, its a old 2.8d that is mated to a auto box and is hauling a box - low mpg, it will drop a packet in value (so will get a GFV PCP)
Upside - Lot of car for the cash, looks twice its worth, drives smoothly and has real 4 wheel drive (cherokee underneath) great for snow

Any comments from the readership please as I was going to tie it up on monday (depending on offer for caliber)

UsedCarImage.aspx

UsedCarImage.aspx

UsedCarImage.aspx

Will the MPG be any better than the Caliber on the motorway ? This seems to be a factor in the equation.

Is it worth 10k more than the Caliber ?

Great for snow ?? Not on those wheels and tyres..

Great minds and all that ........................:D

You do realise that every wannabee gangsta is going to start hitting on your wife if she drives around in it.

I've had lots of Jeeps in the past DS, 3 of which were the XJ Cherokee, 2 x ZJ Grands, a TJ Wrangler and now the V8 WJ Grand... The Nitro looks great and for 15K is allot of car for the money... if it has the Cherokee underpinnings you cant go wrong as they are bullit proof..... Seems a good deal... especially with the roll out boot floor to help your good lady....

I appreciate car choice is about personal taste - but my days that is an unfortunately ugly tasteless monstrosity.

I ve seen a couple on the motorway in the last year, and thought they looked even more repulsive in the flesh. Kind of a cross between a kia soul and a Hummer.

A total waste of hard earned.

You did ask. :eek:

HD

I think they look great. Especially from the rear quarter and side profile.

I've looked at the prices several times - even yesterday - and £15.5k is top money even from a main dealer, so do haggle hard and check the Autotrader before you sign on the dotted line.

I notice also from the shot of the interior in the first post the dealer has at least one other to shift in the same colour. Another good haggle point.
Sorry if that sounds a bit " Grandma, egg and suck" its not meant to.

Not good, Red not good, not good generally !!

Hello

I often look at the adverts from that Jeep Garage in the local Chester Paper. A lot of car for the money.

Too be honest, yes its good value, the New Landrover 3 although far beter than the old one is now £30K for the good spec one. The best of the old shape was £20K. All the smaller off roads are going up in price. Some of the Audi Q5's are £40K ???

So for the money its pretty good, looks different than the standar safe bet cars, If she likes it and you work out a good deal then why not? I work on 3K loss a year and thats low, probably realy more like 4 or 5. However working on 3K it will be work 6K in 3 years?

Get a good deal on it and go for it,

They depreciate quickly for a reason!

Someone near us has one (in silver). It looks positively ridiculous.

Add that to the crap build quality, depreciation, etc, and I doubt it will be a very satisfying purchase.

How does it fare for safety? Traditionally most US cars (and the Chrysler group in particular) are abysmal in the NCAP tests. I don't think I would be very happy about my wife and children being in one, and I'm not just saying that for grand effect.

How does it fare for safety? Traditionally most US cars (and the Chrysler group in particular) are abysmal in the NCAP tests. I don't think I would be very happy about my wife and children being in one, and I'm not just saying that for grand effect.

Ian's wife fared OK in her Jeep when it rolled - sparking off the LifeHammer group buy.

Not a bad looking vehicle, good spec with proven and robust underpinnings...and look at the price, pretty good value, not much (if anything) else in the market to match it like for like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom