Nearly had a head on smash on the A505

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It did in my R129 : that was why I bought it .

You can buy additional mounts on eBay so it can be slid off and taken from one car to another .

Here are a few pics

Not so clear through the glass

View attachment 100473

From the drivers seat , completely hidden

View attachment 100474

From below

View attachment 100475View attachment 100476View attachment 100477

It slides easily off the mount if parking with the roof open

View attachment 100478

The adhesive pad will stick over the fritted area , unlike the suction mount . Extra pads can also be bought on eBay

View attachment 100479

I also , just this week , got an original MB telephone console from Mercman.net , on their eBay shop - these are new old stock and they have others for R129 , W220 , W124 plus a few others . Bit of a pig to fit but excellent once installed - very secure .

View attachment 100480
Thanks for the pics.

Reactions: 219
If you have time to flash the lights and blow the horn it isn't a near miss

If you have time to flash the lights and blow the horn it isn't a near miss

Well if I hadn't instantly emergency braked from 60mph to walking pace the Astra would have hit me. He needed my side of the road to complete his suicidal manoeuvre. After the initial jink to the left I was just standing on the brakes in a straight line so could pull on and light stalk with one hand and press the horn with the other.

Sorry, but I can only speak as I find, fitted two cars with them never any problems.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry, but I can only speak as I find, fitted two cars with them never any problems.
It’s only fair to help you out here. You wrote about “running on Hancock”, hence my reference to Tony Hancock and his famous radio programme from hundreds of years ago titled “Hancock’s Half Hour”. I almost feel guilty now for poking a bit of light-hearted fun at your misspelling of Hankook.

It’s only fair to help you out here. You wrote about “running on Hancock”, hence my reference to Tony Hancock and his famous radio programme from hundreds of years ago titled “Hancock’s Half Hour”. I almost feel guilty now for poking a bit of light-hearted fun at your misspelling of Hankook.
While I remember Tony Hancock , particularly the Radio Ham episode, I had thought of making reference to the Will Smith character .

B94C8992-C42A-463D-B945-B6EEA45603AD.jpeg

Postscript, for those questioning the use of Falkens, in this recent test they come 3rd overall ahead of some big names

Positive: Excellent, balanced results in the dry, with the shortest wet braking distances on test and good aquaplaning resistance. Low noise levels and well priced.
Negative: Low subjective comfort and the highest rolling resistance on test.
Overall: A very strong performance for the Falken ZIEX ZE310, with good grip in the dry and wet.

Rather than back off this muppet decided to push on through (!!) which resulted in me smashing the brake pedal as hard as I could whilst steering as close to the grass verge as was humanly possible. And giving him the full benefit of my bi-Xenons and
horn. He missed my offside corner by millimetres, still driving at full whack.

Quite clearly the offending driver was a first-class muppet and I am sure we all agree with that.

I have only ever been in one vehicle when the SBC\ABS braking system cut in and by crikey it was an eye-watering experience. To say the car stopped on a six-pence would possibly be an exaggeration, but it definitely would have stopped on a ten-pence piece.

Taking your hand off the wheel to sound the horn or possibly just using your fingers might have been a tonic for you but I would doubt very much that our muppet would have heard it. Bi-xenon headlights on main beam certainly have the ability to dazzle oncoming drivers but would that be a wise option? dazzle the driver who is heading for you at a closing speed that could easily kill all the occupants in your nice Mercedes... My experience is that the idiot driver is usually the one that walks away unscathed.

Yes I am being critical of your decisions, but that is with the benefit of hindsight and most important, whatever actions you took, you, your family your car, and your wing mirror were all unscathed

I suspect I'd have been just standng on the brakes and staring with horrified concentration at the oncoming Astra...

And muttering "F********CK...

SBC is GOOD...

I think SBC, ABS or whatever we call these excellent aids are indeed a life-saving invention.

I could not sleep last night and this thread crossed my mind... What I was saying about the flashing of headlights especially during the day, is in accordance with the Highway Code and of course we all read this 'Bible' :) Flashing of headlights is only to be used to warn other road users of your presence (not an exact quote) But the author was correct to give them a flash... :) I was perhaps thinking this incident occured at night and then it would have been reckless to have blasted them with the excellent bi-xenon lights

The BIG thing to remember is that if we pull across to the very nearside of the road, and then stomp on the brakes..... there is a HUGE and very substantial risk that the nearside wheels might lock-up as they run over all that loose gravel, chippings, muck etc that builds up. yes we have SBC but loose gravel on the nearside wheels would be an in Thinking back to my experience of ABS activating, I was in the rear seat of a Granada with my dog, the first thing I knew about braking was me being thrown forward and my dog sliding onto the floor and at the same time the 'bang', 'bang' 'bang' of the ABS doing its thing. I am guessing we were doing about 45mph and I would suggest the Highway Code stopping distance bore no reality to the distance we stopped in. it was amazing but for the life of me I do not know how a driver can nonchalantly steer the vehicle when the thing is under such dynamic loading. I was impressed. Oh and sounding the horn..... Another thing I was thinking about and the only folks that would have heard the hooter hooting would be the author of the post. If we are doing 60+mph then the wind would be the enemy of that audible warning device :)

Modern emergency vehicles have these high pitched 'wailer' type devices that can ensure the noise can carry forwards when moving at speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom