nearside clonk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

william silver

Car
E320 Estate 1994
After having new front springs, new engine mountings, a new wishbone (complete with bushes), new roll bar and bushes fitted I still have a 'clonk' going over speed bumps over 30 mph. Its worse when the car is loaded heavier.
Am I down to fitting new shock absorbers as the last try?
E320 estate, 1994.
Mileage recorded 92,000, stamped service book - but who knows?
Thanks for your help.

...personally, I have not and would not go over a speed bump at more than 30mph in any car...but i hope you get some answer from someone else more technically minded than me...
Rgds
Les

DITTRICH said:
...personally, I have not and would not go over a speed bump at more than 30mph in any car...but i hope you get some answer from someone else more technically minded than me...
Rgds
Les

I would agree, not good practice, and not good for the car. :crazy:

At that speed you could be knocking the exhaust pipe or even the sump.

If you have mud-flaps they will definitely be catching as well.

SLOW DOWN and keep your car from wrecking itself M8. :crazy:

william silver said:
... I still have a 'clonk' going over speed bumps over 30 mph. Its worse when the car is loaded heavier...
:crazy: :eek: I agree with Brian & Dittrich, 30mph over speed bumps is a good way to wreck the suspension in a short period of time. I suspect all cars, except high riding 4x4's, will clonk significantly if they travel over a speed bump at 30mph.

S.

Speed bump was an example. When the car is fully loaded and at slower speeds the car clunks when going over poor road surfaces - all too common these days - so not my driving at faulty. Interestingly no clonk from offside front in same conditions. George Fraser swapped n/s shock absorber with a reject which they had taken off another customers car which seemed to improve clonk matters.
Is this enough of a clue to anyone.......

Earlier this year, during the car's MOT inspection, I had my steering drag link bar (A202 460 05 05 - RRP £115.35 +VAT) replaced because it had developed a loose fixing bolt that had caused uneven wear on the front tyres, especially the near side. The steering drag link bar is the bar that the steering damper attaches to. The car is much tighter on the road since I had it replaced (by an independent) and doesn't clatter at all now when going over potholes / uneven surfaces. The bar for the W202 has four fixing bolts and on mine one had broken loose and felt like a wobbly tooth for want of a better analogy. My car used to clonk and rattle when going over poor road surfaces, and thinking back about it my noise was mainly from the nearside, but replacing the steering drag link bar fixed the problem and also the issue of uneven tyre wear.

Maybe you could get George to check this for you? And also please pass him my regards :)

S.

Last edited:
New Bilsteins and top mounts in back of car and awaiting fitting. I'll lt you know how what effect these have. In the meantime thanks for your suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom