Need a basic, cheap Digital Camera NOW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Camera buffs, I need a digital camera urgently.

I have an old (2003?) Samsung D530 which was fine for what I used it for. Today after changing batteries it is unresponsive. Green power light comes on but nothing else works. Samsung quoted at least 35 quid to fix, possibly more.

Can anyone recommend a decent basic (well) under £100 compact camera? Don't care where it's from - supermarket, online, Currys etc - but ASAP availability would be a plus as I need to send piccies of the Cosworth 2.3-16 I'm breaking to interested parties.

TIA!

Why not buy a half-decent camera phone?
Most are around 2MP which is perfectly adequate for most applications.

Go to Currys (online or high street). Loads of digital compacts under £100 e.g.

8MP Vivitar - £50
7 MP Sony or Fuji - £70

Had a quick look around the local outlets (mainly supermarkets TBH) & these made it onto the shortlist based entirely on being on sale & cheap:

Samsung S760 £50
Samsung L100 £70
Kodak C813 £50
Sony DSC S730 £69
Canon Powerslot a460 £70

Any opinions pro or con on any of the above welcome.

I've got a Samsung camera supplied by my work, it is without doubt the biggest pile of junk I have ever had. I would not even look at them.

My own cameras are Fuji's which have proved to be ultra reliable & give great pics.

Russ

Reliability surveys on digital cameras are sparse. Sony and Canon came top on the ones I've seen. I've a feeling Which ( see your local library) did one in their general product reliability survey. The most reliable cameras may not of course have the best pictures or features.

Well, the one I have is pre-slimline styles, is too big to go in any pocket & I survived.

Maybe the Fuji would be best. Having a look at the reviews, it gets nothing but praise from people who've bought one.

Well, the one I have is pre-slimline styles, is too big to go in any pocket & I survived.

Maybe the Fuji would be best. Having a look at the reviews, it gets nothing but praise from people who've bought one.

It certainly looks a good buy for only £70

Russ

I would personally favour Sony, Canon, or Nikon. But Fuji have a good reputation too. All digital compacts are compromises. None are perfect, but equally there are very few genuinely 'bad' ones. And for less than the price of a tankful of fuel ...

www.dpreview.com is an excellent source of objective reviews.

I don’t know anything about cameras but I bought a Canon Power Shot A590 IS just under a year ago. Nice size good quality pictures I would recommend it. Good for point and shoot and if you’re into all that shutter, speed stuff and adding different lens’s it can do that as well.

Jim.

Fuji 5600 is a good piece for kit for the money - It would be my choice from those listed especially if it were to be the only camera in the house as its pretty versatile

another vote for the 5600 from me.

Our local Sainsburys is doing a Medion 8mp compact - it's the same camera my Father in Law bought at Morrisons earlier in the year and gives superb results despite the best efforts of a seventy year old technophobe :)

I bought the Fuji Finepix S5600. Got it for £63 as it was a display model & the box wasn't perfect!

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom