Need a good basic SLR Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Right my dad has been going on about how he feels a bit embarrased using his old 35mm Pentax at recent events, i think he's hinting and i feel like treating him to a digital SLR.

I have read the other recent thread but all the talk of lenses is confusing me.

He just wants something simple that is gonna give good quality pics when developed into real photos at asda!

Im thinking this package seems about right? any opinions?

edit: i should say that ease of use is very important... he's a one finger typing type of person!

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s35965...00D-(Silver)-+-EF-S-18-55mm-Lens/details.aspx

Last edited:
If your father is absolutely determined to buy a digital SLR, then has he considered looking at the Pentax option?

There are also a lot of excellent digital camera's that are not SLR's

Good luck with the decision
John

The canon is a great camera, very simple to use and great results. Both my Wife and I use mine and find it very easy to use and its very well built.

Personally I think it looks better in black.

Regards

Tan

well he doesnt want anything small and cheap looking as he says... ive got a sony T9 and i think its the dogs, but he's having none of it, he wants a camera to look like a proper camera!

he enjoys taking proper pics at events and gatherings.. i think a digital SLR would be a good starting point for him...

As a first DSLR its fine.

Lens is cheap and nasty but it will do ok.

is there any lens thats gonna be a lot better for a few extra quid? i didnt really want to spend huge amount on this...

You might want to look at the 17-85 IS USM f4-5.6.

To be honest its better but not great. The only way to get a good lens is to spend money.

Jaymanek,

You can get the camera much cheaper than at Jessops if you look around.

Don't buy the silver, buy the black. It looks much better, and more importantly it has higher value in the second hand market (because many people prefer other colours to silver). Hey, there's the MB link to this thread ;-)

It's a great camera - I paid £520 for it when it first came out and I don't regret it. For not much money more, you could get the Canon 17-85mm IS f4-5.6 lens instead of the kit lens - it's much better for point and shoot type people than the kit lens (although it's still not a "great" lens!).

-simon

if he has Pentax lenses then he should buy the Pentax or Samsung DSLRs - they share the same lens mount and are both quite large cameras

Andy

sorry i should have said the pentax we have is not an SLR... However is does have the longest zoom lens on the planet, you should see some of the looks he gets when he zooms in on something, its like a telescope...

sorry i should have said the pentax we have is not an SLR... However is does have the longest zoom lens on the planet, you should see some of the looks he gets when he zooms in on something, its like a telescope...
ahhh You failed to say that when I made my first recommendation, in that case I will say the same thing as I said to Lotus. Get your father to go to a photographic shop and handle the cameras. They vary in size and it is something you want to feel comfortable with. By all means shop around but what value do we put on good after-sales service? These cameras have a huge learning curve and I'm still finding out new things about these items.

You'll note that you will get lots of recommendations, but the most important point is something NO ONE has said.

No one has said steer clear of brand, or model X... I would suggest that most, if not all DSLR's are very good, so make sure your father likes whatever you finally decide to buy.

Regards
John

Here's my 2 pence worth.

My choice would be a NIKON, cant beat them.

I am an Estate Agent and have 3 NIKON DSLRS and have never let me down in quality, and I take pictures of properties that we sell and they have to be spot on.

You would be much better to go into your local Jessops and having a look at their range. But Dont buy one from them.
Choose what you want, then buy it off the internet, you will be amazed as to how much cheaper it will be.

Regards,

Alex.
P.S. Silver camera's look tatty, black one's look much better.

Last edited:
I'm actually very surprised nobody mentioned the NIKON range.

They are fantastic

Regards,

Alex.

P.S. If at all possible Would a friendly Mod (Yes I know you are al friendly) be able to change my user name to Alex

To me Nikon is the Mercedes of cameras.

Yep, I'd agree with that the top end models are great and built to a standard the entry level ones are nowhere near as good and built down to a price but continue to trade on the brand name - just like Mercedes :D

Andy

Yep, I'd agree with that the top end models are great and built to a standard the entry level ones are nowhere near as good and built down to a price but continue to trade on the brand name - just like Mercedes :D

Andy

What about the Mercedes McLaren SLR ? (boom boom).

As already suggested, pop into Jessops ( my local branch always does a price match for me unless it is a special lens ) and do speak to the manager if you can. They should also offer money back within the first month as my branch does. If you have a spare compatible card, they should also let you take a couple of actual shots outside the shop before you actually buy.Don't get too bogged down about lenses at this point in time. Get a decent camera with a kit lens and take it from there. Once you know exactly what you're likely to be shooting then re-visit later as a good lens will often cost more than the actual camera body. In terms of make, it is purely personal as with a car. How does it feel, is the menu easy to understand and use while you're actually shooting? They are all good but with varying degrees of ' good-ness'! Also ask about interchangeability of lenses. The fact that the lens and camera are of the same make does'nt mean you can swap interchange any / all lenses. Nikon D40 is an example ( go for the D40X instead ). Does'nt apply to other models. That said, I use and prefer Nikon. Pentax were in the doldrums but are now making progress. However, their ' anti-shake' mechanism is incorporated into the camera body whereas it's better if incorporated into the actual lens as with Nikon and Canon.

Go test drive them and decide which suits you yourself best.

Before you buy any DSLR you should have a look around the camera forums and try searching for stuff like "sensor dust" "kit lens" to name but two

Both of which may well become important factors in choosing your camera

I wouldn't buy a camera without an effective self cleaning sensor, to me that was one of the major deciding factors when I switched to a DSLR and I must say that 10 months down the line - the Olympus system really works rather well :)

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom