Need a good semi synthetic oil......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bibamus

Car
Alfa Romeo 156 TS Selespeed, New Beetle 1.9TDi and for sunny days, a Honda Goldwing GL1800A
..... so I can do an oil change on my W202 before I drive to South of France. Problem is, there are so few stores near me that sell it!
I am looking for Mobil Super S 10w40 or similar. We have a local Halfords that only seems to sell Magnatec and their own oils, and 2 car shops, one sells Comma everything, the other is soooooooo expensive, I dont go in there any more.

So, can anyone recommend a good supplier? I dont mind buying online, but I dont really want 20 litres at a time!

Allan

Might be better off buying and changing it in France. Apparently Mobil 1 is much cheaper over there.

You are looking for something that meets MB229.1 or better. No shortage of contenders. Just do a Google serach and se what pops up.

The Halfords own brand full synthetic 5w-40, which meets MB229.3, will do the job.

I dont really want Mobil 1, I think it will be too thin for a 97000 miler. I used it a few years ago in a v6 Alfa and suffered little end failure shortly after switching to Mobil 1. Probably a coincidence, but it was expensive to repair and that sort of thing sticks in the mind!
I wont have time to do the change in France, we have a restricted timescale and a car full, so need to do it here. I will pick up some oil on the return trip though.

I have used Magnatec before and looking at the service history, the car has used it too. Is it really as bad as people make out?

Allan

genral opinion is that fully synthetic is a bit too thin for older cars,, MILLERS XSS semi-synth is used by quite a few members on here, including me, it's not too expensive either,, :D

On the OIL subject who can recommend a good oil for my 1997 C230K for i do alot of short journies? I was told MAGNATEC but after reading this am thinking otherwise

COUPE FREAK said:
genral opinion is that fully synthetic is a bit too thin for older cars,, MILLERS XSS semi-synth is used by quite a few members on here, including me, it's not too expensive either,, :D

I use Millers XSS too. Faultless IMHO for the "Older" car. Reasonably priced, check out their website.

http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html

Ian and Coupe Freak,thanks for the info on Millers, looks like there is a local(ish) stockist. I`ll get some later in the week.

Allan

Vauxhall own brand synthetic and semi-synthetic is supposedly Shell Helix, and is in relative terms cheap as chips. Doesn't say if it reaches MB benchmarks as it's sold by Vauxhall dealers for Vauxhalls - I bet it does though!!

Satch said:
You are looking for something that meets MB229.1 or better. No shortage of contenders. Just do a Google serach and se what pops up.

The Halfords own brand full synthetic 5w-40, which meets MB229.3, will do the job.

That's what I use when it's on sale @ £15 for 5L. I think it's Esso ultron fully synthetic (which says made in the UK on the container) which surprize surprize is essentially the same as Mobil 1.Exxon Mobil being the same company.For older cars you can get fully synthetic 15W50 mobil 1 or 10W60 castrol edge fully synthetic.

adam

Last edited:
Halfords fully synthetic is 5W/40 (I think) and Mobil 1 is OW/40 (I think) .. I just know that they are rated differently

big x said:
That's what I use when it's on sale @ £15 for 5L. I think it's Esso ultron which surprize surprize is essentially the same as Mobil 1.Exoon Mobil being the same company.For older cars you can get fully synthetic 20W50.

adam

Bobby Dazzler said:
Might be better off buying and changing it in France. Apparently Mobil 1 is much cheaper over there.
Sure is. My dad paid EUR32 for 5 litres of Mobil 1 over there a few weeks ago. So cheap he bought 2, in fact.

Thread hijack alert!!

What oil should I use for my C36 AMG 134k miles. I need to do a change and am not sure what to buy.

I've been using valvoline semi 10/40, from CAS, about £50 for 20 litres, been using it for about 5 years no problems, but I do change my oil more frequently than recommended.

Last edited:
Looking at the service history, my car seems to have just used semi synthetic, would there be any harm in switching to fully synthetic, say 10w 40 or 5w40 or should I stick to semi?
The car has been serviced every 9000 as the handbook states, I wont be extending the interval beyond that.

Allan

Why should there be any harm in switching to a synthetic oil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom