Need a real MB expert 1988 era

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
lovely colour combination :)

buy it :)

Out. You want it for winter? Are you nuts. Auto box and all that power. You will have to leave it at home if we get any frost or snow.

I dont doubt your driving skills but what if some silly bugger runs into you. Lovely summer car though. Buy it for this winter and next summer and you have yourself a beautiful cruiser.

Waxoyl it up like there's no tomorrow, fit four winter tyres and drop in a 100kg of cement in the boot - should be good to go! No, as Trapperjohn said, it's a fair weather car.

The good thing about the salted roads this coming winter, it will pinpoint the required b/work repairs in April!

nick mercedes said:
Blue smoke is a reason to walk away.

Thanks - terminal? If its had so much recent work (I'm hoping its with my local dealer) surely they would have had it fixed I'd you wouldn't recently spend £750 plus a battery if its smoking? I assume smoking comes on gradually?

I've got all season tyres on the back on the W124 and they do make a big difference in the snow, BUT that's a car for cruising about in the summer! Buy a cheap 4x4 for the snow, it's not fair on the old girl!

Thanks - terminal? If its had so much recent work (I'm hoping its with my local dealer) surely they would have had it fixed I'd you wouldn't recently spend £750 plus a battery if its smoking? I assume smoking comes on gradually?

Get a compression test done for peace of mind.

In the snow I use Anna's car, I meant more of a nice car to get to work in over winter - it's had a new battery. Someone tell me about the blue smoke please.

In the snow I use Anna's car, I meant more of a nice car to get to work in over winter - it's had a new battery. Someone tell me about the blue smoke please.

Head work is expensive on these, sooner or later valve guides need to be done.

Worn piston rings/ bores,leaking valve seals,will burn oil (blue smoke) as mentioned get a compression test done.

Ok taken on board, will see if its had anything done as I said our local MB indie in Hoylake may have worked on it and will tell me the score, I think I would budget £1k spends on it - I mean the E500 has lost £6k since June so in perspective it might be a bargain.

The valve seals are the most common cause of blue smoke and not too expensive to put right

That is Gorgeous!!! As mentioned makesure there is no blue smoke.

Its a 500SE which is very rare.... Not many Short Wheel Bases made with the 5.0 V8 plus its got electric heated seats and a rear electric blind! if all checks out...... GO FOR IT!!!!

IF you buy it, fix it up, I might give you £2k for it early next year....

Gives off a good vibe from the pictures that car- and money spent. Single timing chains can wear. If its got rear self-levelling suspension check the rear struts/shocks for leaks.

Absolutely stunning, as Sean said great colour combination. Buy it.

Any 24 year old car is going to be a risk, particularly one as complicated (relatively speaking) as an S-class. But that does look lovely, I'm tempted myself! Go on, you only live once..

Cheers,

Gaz

Ok went to see it, needs a seat bolster, bum pad leather and starting to bubble on front arches, good news is MB Wirral did the work and on the job sheet was to do a full shake down do anything required as the owner bought it for his wife who didn't want it so he sold it to the garage. Oddly you may recall I had a BMW 760 that I sold to a dealer THIS 500SE was the that dealers own smoker for a year I spoke to both the garage and the dealer owner to be told its a good car and it was sold for £2750 before £900 was spent on it. I'm going to get it, put a radio with Bluetooth and dab in it and barge around till next summer. I will spend on the drivers seat and get both wings sprayed up nothing else, the area where the boot meets the back window is rust free and fine - I expected paint or worse.

can't wait to see pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom