need a vote

What would you go for?

• 220CDI Avantgarde

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • 270CDI Elegance

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

league67

Car
E 270CDI aka Gunther
What would existing owners of W211's get ;

220CDi Avantgarde

or

270CDi Elegance

Regards.

Depends what was the most important element - engine or trim finish.

Me being me would have to stick out for a 270 Avantgarde:eek:

As Pammy said, depends on what you want it for?

I would go for an Avantgarde anytime as it has the Bi-xenon lights etc.:rock:

Both engines are good, the 220 is economical and smooth. The 270 has more poke but a bit noisier being a 5 cylinder. So I am afraid you pays your money and takes your choise mate.

I went for Avantgarde and ultimate power with economy.:D

Inserted a VOTE.

Last edited:
220 is a gutless wonder :( Fine in the C class .. but put it into the E and it really really struggles and leave you wanting.

270 wins evey time .. :D trust me :)

Damn its a good forum

Trust owners to tell it like it is :). Still debating with HRH. But thanks for the input. Pam, I know I'd do the same but ££££ (or lack of).

have you thought about getting a last of example W210 E320 CDI ?

I don't mean to be harsh towards the 220 , it did me well with 38k miles under its belt in 18 months , but after i had gotten rid of it , i got an E320 CDI same estate body and it was like driving a complely different car.

Its amazing what a wee hike in power can do for your perception of the car :)

270 is a supreme engine , last of the breed of EU 3 engines with decent HP and decent MPG. none of this EU4 nonsense. On an amazing day driving like an absolute fairy the best the 220 CDI auto EU4 estate did was 36-38mpg. Compare that to my significantly faster C270 CDI auto which reguarally touches and sometimes exceeds 54mpg and you can see where im coming from.

I mean no disrespect to any owners of the 220 or 270CDI E-class, but I would recommend you try to stretch to the 320CDI 211 Avantgarde. This engine in my opinion is the ideal match for the E-class, plus of course automatic comes as standard. (I prefer the Avantgarde :) )

Sorry about that,

John

fuzzer said:
270 is a supreme engine , last of the breed of EU 3 engines with decent HP and decent MPG. none of this EU4 nonsense. On an amazing day driving like an absolute fairy the best the 220 CDI auto EU4 estate did was 36-38mpg. Compare that to my significantly faster C270 CDI auto which reguarally touches and sometimes exceeds 54mpg and you can see where im coming from.

Sorry but the 320CDI (and that's the straight six not the bent one!) is definitely the best of the EU3 engines. The consumption you get depends on how you drive it. I regularly get 40mpg per tankful and if I stopped using the effortless acceleration and high speed cruising ability I'm sure I could improve on that.

E220 CDI is gutless only really worth considering one if your not at all bothered at making progress, it'll kick down accelerating from 60ish to 80 on the motorway, which is pretty rubbish IMO. E220 is better in Elegance i reckon.

fuzzer said:

Have to agree. I managed to find a 270 Elegance with Xenons, Comand and Airmatic (& therefore 17" wheels) - soooooooo pleased with it.

320 is a brill engine, but insurance is sky high and 270 is easily mappable to over 200bhp if req'd, which also improves fuel economy when not driven wildly.

Don't let an arbitrary timescale push you into compromising. Keep your eyes open for the right car and go for it.

I've only driven the C270 and it was unbelievably quick for a diesel. That said, i've heard that the c220 Cdi is also lively. I think the 270 will be smoother as its a five cylinder as opposed to the 200 being a four pot.

A neighbour of mine has just bought a crackingly high specced 05 C220CDI. I'll ask him for his thoughts.

DieselE said:
Sorry but the 320CDI (and that's the straight six not the bent one!) is definitely the best of the EU3 engines. The consumption you get depends on how you drive it. I regularly get 40mpg per tankful and if I stopped using the effortless acceleration and high speed cruising ability I'm sure I could improve on that.

Im not saying that the 320 isnt the most powerful , but the 270 in the 211 has 177bhp and can do 50mpg. In my head , thats better than 204bhp and 40mpg in the 320 cdi.

270 totally rocks :) even partsman steve has one :)

Of the two choices, I would go for the 270 Elegance ... with optional Xenons.

A 320CDI will not be that much more 2nd hand. It's a little quicker, a little thirstier, but a lot smoother.

Thats why I love the forum

I've just been offered 270 Avantgarde :D Its a tealite blue and has the bleeding telephone prep (important to me). And its kind of a right price too. Anything to look out for on 03 cars ? One owner , 50K miles ?

Regards,

Check all warranty work has been done and service history. At 50,000 some signficant work is needed according to the service book.

I've driven both the 220 and 320 E Class. 220 is fine - was surprised by its power actually. 320 of course I own - fantastic. 270 - had one in a C Class - hated it.

Your choice ! BP Ultimate makes a diff though.

Ditto, on the ownership saorbust. And ditto the experience of driving an E220.

But I didn't hate my C270. Liked it enough for me to upgrade to the E320 when the need arose for something bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom