Need an Audio Upgrade Urgently.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
mercedes benz e220 cabriolet
Why? Because the one is rank rotten. I think it's an audio 10 NTG 4.5 without sat nav and it has a single CD player with no aux input. in a car like the e220 cabriolet, this is an utter shambles and I'm really disappointed in MB that they would put such a thing into such a nice car.
Now that I've got that off my chest, I'd like to know about upgrades or alternatives to the steaming pile of fertiliser i'm forced to listen to every day. I found one on ebay that has a sat nave button on it, but is this just a button or does it have the appropriate software inside or do I need an extra bit of hardware to read nav dvd's or the like? Look, I'm really hacked off with the audio in the car and I really need something better with sat nav, CD changer AND at least one auxiliary input that I can connect a USB stick to. Again, your help and advice will be greatly appreciated as i'm at my wits end listening to one cd at a time and crackling FM due to being Scottish and not being worthy of a strong and clear fm signal. Cheers guys. frankie

The E220 Cabriolet is based on the W204 C-Class.

Search on this forum, there are members here who fitted an Android-based unit with 10.25" screen.

To complete the upgrade you can also consider replacing the speakers (Morel come highly recommended) and add Dynamat soundproofing inside the doors. A flat subwoofer in the boot will also help. You can order everything from forum sponsors Comand UK: Mercedes Audio upgrades

PS - optical discs (CD/DVD) are obsolete, so a modern infotainment system won't have the CD drive any more, let alone a charger. It's either USB or SD-Card (or MicroSD Card) these days.

Search on this forum, there are members here who fitted an Android-based unit with 10.25" screen.

To complete the upgrade you can also consider replacing the speakers (Morel come highly recommended) and add Dynamat soundproofing inside the doors. A flat subwoofer in the boot will also help. You can order everything from forum sponsors Comand UK: Mercedes Audio upgrades
Thanks markjay, this is exactly the info i was looking for

PS - optical discs (CD/DVD) are obsolete, so a modern infotainment system won't have the CD drive any more, let alone a charger. It's either USB or SD-Card (or MicroSD Card) these days.
I know, I know, but I am as deluded as your Profile chappie.

I've seen the 10.25 screen and wondered about how the fitting worked. I am very interestd in this type of system. there was a bloke selling one on here back in January, but I assume that's long gone now. he was looking for 300.00 and had it installed for around 6 months, good deal, just got here too late. Frankie

Upgraded my system (NTG2.5) by changing the woeful MB speakers and improved the sound deadening and sound proofing. Sounds really good now and it wasn't the head unit, just the cheap speakers that needed doing. However if you want more features then a new head unit would be needed.

Incidently, the Audio20 NTG4.5 has a hidden engineering menu with an equaliser (EQ) that allows you to make various changes to the sound setting (but obviously this will only have a very limited effect without upgrading the speakers):

Parametric Equalizer in Audio 20 - MBWorld.org Forums

PS - optical discs (CD/DVD) are obsolete.

I still pick them up in the pound shop so cheap now days! well err a pound :D

Since adding Bluetooth though the amount I burn and purchase has declined.

Upgraded my system (NTG2.5) by changing the woeful MB speakers and improved the sound deadening and sound proofing. Sounds really good now and it wasn't the head unit, just the cheap speakers that needed doing. However if you want more features then a new head unit would be needed.

Thanks for that Lark one, I managed to find a new head unit from an E220, only problem I have now is to find the code for it and have someone fit it properly for me. The head unit is a definite upgrade as it has sat nav and multi changer. I know it's cd's, but I'm a child of the cd age, man... its all I know how to operate, besides apart from the above, it has a PCMCIA flash reader, yup, a flash card reader.
I can't really tell much about the unit as I wouldn't know where to start, it is certainly a substantial upgrade on the audio 10 unit that I have at present. Do you know of anyone who is a regular that may be able to help?
Cheers

Frankie

AIUI you need the VIN and code from the vehicle the unit was previously fitted to and then have someone with access to Xentry to code it into the your car.
B class NTG2.5 Navigation Comand needs PIN for deactivation
EEK! So if I don't have the vin from the previous owner I've bought myself a very expensive paperweight?
Is there any way around this that you are aware of? That news has really scunnered me!

Frankie

ComandOnline are the experts on this and their view is in that thread that is the only way to sort this. Might be worth giving them a call.

ComandOnline are the experts on this and their view is in that thread that is the only way to sort this. Might be worth giving them a call.
Thanks matey. I found this, www.radio-code.lt Originally posted by Sp!ke, one of the sire admins. Worked a treat! Got the five digit code, so I think that's all I need to swap them over.

Searching Comand online now for further info. This site is fantastic for finding information, only problem is trying to find it!

EEK! So if I don't have the vin from the previous owner I've bought myself a very expensive paperweight?
Is there any way around this that you are aware of? That news has really scunnered me!

Frankie
What year is your car, and what year is the headunit you purchased? I found that many of the earlier headunits, while capable of supporting the security PIN were not enabled. So worth checking this out before assuming you will have a security pin issue.

Swap it for the 10.25" as it is no harder than changing what you have (easier really) and you will get far more than even the most up to date unit for your car.

Replaced my screen with the 10.25" screen a few years ago now, only thing that stopped me selling the car. Having the ability for it to be online using app like Waze natively is great.

Thanks all. I think I'll just ebay the head unit I bought and go down the android route as I'm getting really hacked of with 1 cd at a time and no way to hook anything else up to it. Its pretty poor to be honest.

I have recently fitted a Panasonic AVIC-910DAB in my CLK. A bit of messy job to do as I wanted all the GPS,AM,FM and DAB feeds from the shark fin on the roof. This involved dropping the headliner and pulling half the interior apart to run the cables for the rear camera. The finished job is superb and it all works as it should,I have a pair of Panasonic co-axial speakers to fit in the doors when time permits.

I have recently fitted a Panasonic AVIC-910DAB in my CLK. A bit of messy job to do as I wanted all the GPS,AM,FM and DAB feeds from the shark fin on the roof. This involved dropping the headliner and pulling half the interior apart to run the cables for the rear camera. The finished job is superb and it all works as it should,I have a pair of Panasonic co-axial speakers to fit in the doors when time permits.

Sounds like a good job.

If I may, can I suggest you deploy Morel speakers instead of the Panasonic’s? They are far far better, work really well in the CLK too. You’ll need a pair of 6.5” components and a pair of 5.25” coaxials.

Morel Maximo Ultra component sound upgrade kit inc Dynamat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom