Need an estate - E55, C55 or RS6 advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Hi Guys - I am new to this forum and am after a little advice / recommendations.

I currently have a Jag S-Type R (may be a swear word on this forum but...) anyway I have had my car for 4 years and it has been great! Understated, rare, supercharged V8, good performance etc, etc, but I really need an estate, which brings the question as what to go for. There are not really many alternatives that give me what I already have / more with an estate body and practicality. I can only really think of the 3 options above.

The thing is I have heard some horror stories about the RS6 and to some extent the E55 about actually running these cars. I am not concerned with fuel economy as obviously I am used to running my car which will be similar, but more about things that can go wrong and servicing. Obviously these cars give great performance but was thinking would be similar generally in running to my car. Maybe I have just been lucky but the Jag has not been too bad other than pretty poor mpg in town.

I have had a look at an RS6 and an E55, both obviously quick cars, but RS6 not noticeably so over my Jag, the E55 was probably a step ahead but not ridiculously so. Both were around the £20K mark for 2003 / 04 models. Not looked at a C55 as yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

E55 is a great motor, ive got the saloon version and had it since september with no real problems, there are issues with valeo radiators on 2003 models so i would try and go for late 2004/2005, just try and get a good spec and check all the toys work, also check things like the airmatic and the brakes are good, you may find the non-supercharged c55 a little lackingafter driving the supercharged E55, also alot smaller.

good luck

Alps

I am a member over on RS246 as i also run an S4, and have friends with S4s and RS6s.
The RS6 is a moneypit UNLESS you're covered by Audi warranty.

How about two sets of new suspension, three new turbos, a new gearbox and sundry other items IN A YEAR on a six year old RS6 with Audi warranty. £22k for the car, £19k on warranty work. Ouch.

Can't comment on the others as i have no experience, but i always fancied the older E55 wagon, not least because they're quite rare. Naturally aspirated 380ish bhp and a very reliable setup, only things to really watch for are rusty front wings and auto gearboxes that were supposedly "sealed for life" but in reality need oil changes every 50k if you want them to last.

Being just a little biased I would go for the E55.....Very understated, comfortable, quick, loads of toys and great fun!
DSC_03672.jpg

Thanks so far guys - That's exactly what I have heard about the RS6, if you search the RS246 forum there seems to be quite a few stories like that, but justified by saying it is a supercar! That's the bit I don't quite get, yes its quick and desirable etc but it's an Audi, which I thought would be relaible and like I said it is not in a different performance league to my Jag, which has been no probs at all!

If only Jaguar made a REAL estate, eh? :devil:

I'm a Jag man at heart and have been brought into the MB fold via the E-Class estate. Not a E55 I grant you, but the model one-down from that (in torque terms at least)! :p

The E-Class is cavernous and practical. The nice touches sets it apart, such as the load/dog net on the back seats. Can be clipped onto the headlining with the seats in place, but it also works when the seats are folded down flat - there are clips in the headlining just behind the front seats too, and the net is long enough to reach. Clever, and useful. I don't know if the Audi also has nice touches like that, but it is an example of how well thought out the MB is.

P.S. Sounds like an excuse to go and test drive the Dodge 300C Hemi wagon.
I don't think you'll want to buy one, but it'd be interesting to test drive! :)

Trouble is they look like a bit of a pig's ear!! I probably sound like a real snob, believe me I'm not I just like my cars, but every time I see one of those 300C's I have a bit of a smile, just think they are a mess. But as you say could be interesting to have a blast in one but don't want to waste anyones time!!

Oooh, nice Jag, another car that's on my list to be checked out when I'm ready to upgrade, as you say - supercharged V8 and a bit understated :devil:

E55 every time :thumb:

(and that's from someone who owned Audis for 7 years and is a big Dub-head)

off on a bit of a tangent, what about a BMW 535D estate?

I have thought about the 535D in m sport guise but they still seem to be a bit pricey! Not driven one, but still can't get past the sound of a diesel (always remind me of an old transit), even though they do sound ok now, it still isn't a V8 is it if you know what I mean. It is probably the ideal car, but that is why there are so many 5 series estates on the road. I'm not really sure I want to join the club, just prefer something a little more interesting.

As you seem to prefer a V8 - what about an ML420 Cdi? It has a 4-litre V8 diesel that is suprisingly good on fuel but sounds so petrol-V8-like that you would think it's a petrol and not a diesel!!

Driven this many times and is seriously quick for an SUV. Very stable at high speed as the air matic is standard (not sure from what year) and automatically lowers the car at higher speed to sit closer to the ground.

I used to run a 2003 E55 and while I had many electrical problems, I never experienced any gearbox or radiator problems and the I greatly miss the power!!

Being just a little biased I would go for the E55.....Very understated, comfortable, quick, loads of toys and great fun!
DSC_03672.jpg

Hey Chattonmill, it's a bit dangerous to park your estate up in the middle of the road like that - can't you see there are cars coming? I suppose there's a wardrobe on the pavement just out of shot that you're planning to load?:p

I assumed he'd just left the builder's yard in the background with a load of fence panels..

I am not really keen on off roaders, just not me.

Funny you say about the electrical probs on your E55, on the one I looked at the electric seat switches didn't work properly, the dealer said he would get it fixed but can't help put you off a bit, that's without checking all the other knods and switches. I had no choice but to check the seat swich as had to adjust the seats as I have fairly long legs so needed seat full back. The one I drove also seemed to have a very lumpy idle - is that normal? I know it is a pretty big engine but I expected better. The 4.2 V8 in my Jag is very smooth.

Sounds like maybe 2003 cars best avoided, and try and find 2004 onwards then.

If the RS6 didn't feel very fast remember there was originally the RS6 w/ c450bhp then the RS6+ which had the 572bhp. Then I think late 2008 the models merged into a 572bhp RS6.

LOL! - The RS6 was plenty quick enough but just saying not really much different to my S-Type R, I think I just expected more! I have been keeping an eye out for an RS6 plus for a while, not many about and they tend to be around the £25K+ mark which is more than I want to pay. The power was raised to app 480bhp on the plus models and you get a nice little plaque near the gear selecter with the car no. on.

Anyway I think I am now swaying towards a merc, just a bit more subtle, and I think most of the boy racers out there will not know what it is and therefore not want a race evertime I pull up at the lights!! That's another reason why I like my Jag, most people just do not know what it is, wheras an RS6 as much as I like them is maybe aa bit too obvious.

If the RS6 didn't feel very fast remember there was originally the RS6 w/ c450bhp then the RS6+ which had the 572bhp. Then I think late 2008 the models merged into a 572bhp RS6.
Not quite, the C5 RS6 and C5 RS6+ were the V8 models, at 450PS (444bhp) and 480PS (473bhp) respectively.
The later C6 RS6 with the V10 engine is the 579PS (571bhp) version, and is a very different car ;)

I looked at a couple of s type r's before buying my car. On the estate front I would love the E55 if I was in the position to buy one.

I love both the C55 and the E55K.

They are both cracking cars both understated and bl00dy quick.

I would love to own either of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom