Need help choosing a non-merc work horse for dad's business

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fais

Hi All

Need some help...my dad works in the property biz and he needs to find a car he can use in the property management side of things... can you help suggest some cars which would meet the following criteria:

• People carrier - or any vehicle that can fit a double bed
  • Reliable and easy to maintain
  • No fancy gadgets
  • Automatic transmission
  • won't be doing too much mileage, so high miler would be ok
  • not to fussed about cosmetics - i.e. can be ugly vehicle
  • Budget £5k tops - not worried about depreciation as vehicle will be kept until it dies.

Been looking around, but what makes it so hard is i don't know what brand/model i am looking for, so if you could point me in the right direction i'd be most grateful.

thanks

Fais

I would say it's between a Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra or an 806/Synergie/Ulysee.

The later have the handy sliding doors and you will get more for your money (i.e. they are not as popular second hand).

I used to own a Vauxhall Omega Estate automatic. It was an excellent car and it had a larger load space than a Volvo V70.

GazCaff said:
I used to own a Vauxhall Omega Estate automatic. It was an excellent car and it had a larger load space than a Volvo V70.

But you can't get a double bed in one of those. I used to have one too ;)

Don't forget the Espace. You could also look for an old Voyager. But I would have thought the Sharalaxyambra was the better option - easier and cheaper to get parts etc;)

How about the Fiat Multipla or whatever it was called, they were quite large, or the Kia alternative to the 806?

Not sure you'd get one for 5k, but a high miles vaneo would do the trick.

(I've had 4seater sofa's and all sorts in mine.)

Not sure if Berlingo \ Kangoo \ Doblo have the length?

One of the imports? Nissan Largo \ Toyota Previa\estima\lucida etc?

old style A6?

Why specifically non-mb? You do realise which forum you're posting on don't you? ;)

Fais said:
  • No fancy gadgets
  • Automatic transmission
  • Budget £5k tops - not worried about depreciation as vehicle will be kept until it dies.

Key question - how many seats? If 3 is enough then the only answer is a van (M-B Vito, VW Transporter, Ford Transit, etc.). You won't fit a double bed in anything else, certainly no MPV I've ever seen (I have a Sharan, which is the same as the Galaxy & Alhambra).

BTB 500 said:
Key question - how many seats? If 3 is enough then the only answer is a van (M-B Vito, VW Transporter, Ford Transit, etc.). You won't fit a double bed in anything else, certainly no MPV I've ever seen (I have a Sharan, which is the same as the Galaxy & Alhambra).

You can fit a double mattress in a voyager;)

Mazda Bongo, 8 seats or take seats out, almost size of a transit, diesel automatic and 5k would get a good model.

The Bongos I've seen have all been 4WD (additional complexity?), and too tall to fit under car park barriers (which may or may not be an issue). There might be other versions though.

pammy said:
But you can't get a double bed in one of those. I used to have one too ;)

Yes you can ;). I've done it when helped my father move house.

Fais said:
Hi All

Need some help...my dad works in the property biz and he needs to find a car he can use in the property management side of things... can you help suggest some cars which would meet the following criteria:

• No fancy gadgets
  • Automatic transmission

Been looking around, but what makes it so hard is i don't know what brand/model i am looking for, so if you could point me in the right direction i'd be most grateful.

thanks

Fais

Get a Bongo!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180037876543

nick mercedes said:
Get a Bongo!

I briefly looked at those a while back, but as already mentioned the height (too tall to go in most car parks) was a show-stopper. I know several people who have them, but one had major expenses ... I think on the transmission ... and they swore they'd never get another.

As the spec. here is a very basic, cheap, easy to maintain vehicle ... a Jap import with 4WD, climate control, raising roof, etc. might not fit the bill anyway.

Even though you said non MB, why not a 124 Estate? You'd fit a double inthe back with the seats folded.
Otherwise 806/Synergie/Ulysse and their van counterpart Expert/Dispatch. Some of them might be fitted with a booster heater which means it can be converted easily to a standalone heater. Handy for those chilly nights.

Subyland said:
Even though you said non MB, why not a 124 Estate?
Estate? A W124 cabrio! The sky is the limit with the roof down! ;) :rolleyes:

BTB 500 said:
The Bongos I've seen have all been 4WD (additional complexity?), and too tall to fit under car park barriers (which may or may not be an issue). There might be other versions though.

Bongos available in 2wd also. The height thing maybe a big problem though, but it was never mentioned in your first post, I dunno moving the goalposts as we go along:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom