Need Help Choosing A T.v

What make is the best for picture quality?

• Panasonic

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Samsung

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Toshiba

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Need Help Choosing a tv

Time has come for me to purchase a flat screen:bannana:

Question is which one do i go for on a budget of £700max

Plasma?...LCD?

I want:

1. Min 37''
2. 100Hz Processor
3. 30.000 Contrast Ratio
4. 1080p

Last edited:
Oooh.. opening a can of worms. :)

Although there are many knowledgeable folks on here, you might like to have a butchers at http://www.avforums.com/

I would personally go for LCD over plasma, and I'd recommend you consider LG as a manufacturer. But I'm just a bloke on t'internet..

Your £700 will get you a very nice screen these days, with 1080p and all the inputs you can eat.

Cheers,

Gaz

Many places have great deals now on flat screens... check out ebuyer. I have bought a Samsung full HD from them 37 inch for £375..... better price than the shops. Stay clear from Sony.... screens pixalate... according to the guy in currys.... your just paying for the name.

Hello

I went for LCD after view several side by side and NOT playing HD demos, or HD sky just normal TV.

I also went for one that has 1080p so I get the full benifit of new technology (hence I also went for a blueray player...amazing)

Are you able to tell the difference watching a program on 50Hz or 100Hz? I know I couldn't and all the reviews I read / magazine still gave the set I bought 5 stars etc.

Its down to what you like also, as some are ugly or have more / less inputs. Do you want to plug your PC into iot? a USB stick, how many HDMI's?

I spent ages looking at all the makes and finally decided on a sony KVW-4000 40" LCD.

What swayed me also was the 5 year warranty. OOh and the Bravia sync facility that menas the TV, AMP, Blueray all are controlled by one hand set.

These have now come down in the £700 bracket and I would recommend it.

Since having it its superb, the Grand Prix was Awesome and programs such as Strictly come dancing are also good. Watched a Blue ray film on it and its stunning.

I guess they are all good but for us, watching them side by side and looking at the colours / viewing angles / glaze off the screen the sony was our choice.

Thing is what I see as good you may not. Even when you buy one if you want to go 'geek' the AV forums have their 'set up' guides to the best picture.

I didn't actually enjoy looking for them as too much choice and normally I love gadgets.

100Hz is clearly better than a similar 50Hz set - depending on what you are watching.
Its easier to SEE the difference when watching a screen with loads of horizontal lines - for example the football results.
Its also less tiring on the eyes as you dont get the eyes constantly trying to compensate for the 50Hz flicker. Although this is for the most part a subconcious effect. Abit like the class B crossover distortion on hi-fi system amplifiers.
So stick with the 100Hz.
For what its worth, Panasonic in my humble opinion are usually better engineered and consequently normally more reliable. I have an old Panasonic B/W set from 1968 that still works fine and has never broken down.

We have a 1080p Sharp LCD (40") which is excellent both on normal res. Freeview and high def. (from PS3). It was recommended as a 'best buy' by many of the review mags & websites at the time (just over a year ago), and although I wouldn't have thought of Sharp originally we have been very pleased with it. The only other advice I would give is to go for a bigger screen than you think you need! The 40" seemed huge initially, but you soon get used to it and I'd be looking at 46" screens if I was buying now.

Last edited:
We have a 1080p Sharp LCD (40") which is excellent both on normal res. Freeview and high def. (from PS3). It was recommended as a 'best buy' by many of the review mags & websites at the time (just over a year ago), and although I wouldn't have thought of Sharp originally we have been very pleased with it. The only other advice I would give is to go for a bigger screen than you think you need! The 40" seemed huge initially, but you soon get used to it and I'd be looking at 46" screens if I was buying now.

Top advice.

I bought a 32" which seemed like a cinema after my old 25" CRT died.
I now wish I had a 50".

Many places have great deals now on flat screens... check out ebuyer. I have bought a Samsung full HD from them 37 inch for £375..... better price than the shops. Stay clear from Sony.... screens pixalate... according to the guy in currys.... your just paying for the name.

Strange seeing as Samsung and ony have a joint screen manufacturing plant.

Panasonic are very good at the moment, but I'd go with a Bravia myself.

Panasonic don't do LCD's above 37 " which is their crossover point to PLASMA for their larger screens- starting at 37" . Panasonic are going to be manufacturing the plasma screens for PIONEER soon which is probably recommendation enough. :rock: If you want to go greater screen size than a 37" in LCD --- SONY or Samsung is the way to go. Many people comment that LCD is a better watch in a brightly lit room in daylight than plasma. However plasmas tend to have better viewing angles.:confused:

Last edited:
I think i will be going for a plasma, went to comet yesterday to view some LCD, there was one on display with LCD dropout!!

I think i will be going for a plasma, went to comet yesterday to view some LCD, there was one on display with LCD dropout!!

Be careful. Plasma is cheaper for a reason. A lot of manufacturers are dropping plasma for LCD as Plasma has a habit of breaking down after a few years and LCD is getting better all the time.

Visit a Sony Centre and see what they can show you. They are open to doing deals aswell ;-)

Did not know about the plasma dying off in a few years..Been thinking of getting the new Pioneer Kuro..trying to save up like mad for one..Might have to do more research into their LCD ones..I love Pioneer..The picture quality and the blacks are very impressive..

Also to me a warranty was worth having on these,

Its an expensive bit of kit so it maybe worth checking John Lewis and the Sony Shop as they offer a 5 year warranty. I reckon this is worth £200 ?

Top advice.

I bought a 32" which seemed like a cinema after my old 25" CRT died.
I now wish I had a 50".

A caveat to that is that it depends how large your room is for the size of your TV. I read somewhere that the distance between the sofa and TV needs to be at least 2.5 times the size of you TV. But ultimately it's down to what you find comfortable viewing.

A caveat to that is that it depends how large your room is for the size of your TV. I read somewhere that the distance between the sofa and TV needs to be at least 2.5 times the size of you TV. But ultimately it's down to what you find comfortable viewing.

There are various guidelines on screen size/resolution/viewing distance, but I think gaming is different to normal viewing. I find I need to sit closer, anyway!

A bit horses for courses this one, there are only actually a few manufacturers of LCD screens Samsung and LG are the big players, stay away from Sony they have a very bad rep, also above 37" even the best LCDs struggle if not viewed face on unlesss they are 1080p. Above 37" definitely got to be Plasma but they do have a finite life as pointed out before 5 years is the norm before they die. LG LCD panels ahve the best longevity record in the Industry, hope that helps.

Have a look in John Lewis, i`m sure they give you a free 5yr warrenty with their TV`s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom